Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone owned both? Preferably an xsi, rallye etc 306?

Was very impressed on how I was effortlessly 'lost' by a 306 earlier
round some country roads (in my passat boat so hardly suprising), but
was wondering how they compared to standard 16v Gtis? Round corners,
especially in less than ideal weather and road surfaces, not straight
line speed.

Within the next couple of weeks i'll be converting a mk2 to 1.8T with
16v suspension and i'll be very happy if it handles anything like a 306

·
Registered
501 Posts
All little pugs handle well up to the limit then they just snap ... and you die.

I'm not joking I know three people who have been killed by them. [:(]

Maybe they were just unlucky. A mk2 won't kill you, that's why I have one for my track car, a few little mods and they'll handle even better. [:D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The 306gti6 and rallye are the best hot hatches of all time.... the
handling and chassis is perfect... and the variable inlet manifold
gives it a strong power curve throughout the rev range.

I have a 4motion with FK konigsports and R32 ant roll bars and
powerflex bushes..... and my brother still has my old gti6, the 4motion
(which handles better than an R32) still strugles to keep up with the
gti-6

The gti6 is an awesome handling car and there isnt a Mk4 standard or a modded FWD one that could keep with it in the corners

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
All little pugs handle well up to the limit then they just snap ... and you die.

I'm not joking I know three people who have been killed by them. [:(]

Maybe they were just unlucky. A mk2 won't kill you, that's why
I have one for my track car, a few little mods and they'll handle even
better. [:D]
A pug will only snap if you lift off mid bend, its what is known as
lift off oversteer... its a charecteristic of the torsion sprung rear
suspension, if you dont lift of and are going too fast the car will
understeer.... but if you are inexperienced and/or panic and lift off
the car will instantly spin.

I know I have over 5 pugs and even built my own mi16 engined one

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I drove a mk2 many moons ago and compared to a 205 at the time it
felt heavy and turn in was much slower, IMO the inherent design
failure on all fwd golfs is the torsion beam rear axle, thats why it
has gone to a multi link on thje mk5 an seat used the 4motion multi
link setup(without 4x4) on seat race cars.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Im also an ex GTI-6 Owner and only sold her as it had past 100k and started to get a little unreliable....but they are superb cars.....its no where near as quick as my Golf but would leave it wanting in the twisties although my Golf isn't a million miles away with its Bilstein set up it has now......I have never driven a car that handles like the GTI-6 and it shifts....the gearing is perfect as is the power delivery...it has just the right amount of power for its chassis and its all useable.

Great car owned it for 4 yrs and its the first car I have owned that I didnt really want to sell.The XSI is an 8 valve and a bit dissapointing...go for the GTI-6/Rallye or the older cheaper still S16 is a cracker it has the original MI16 engine producing 150 bhp where the GTI-6 Rallye has the uprated MI16 rated at 167 bhp

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I owned a 306 XSi (16 valve 137 bhp) I test drove the GTi-6. The 306 has incredible steering feel and feedback. It really encourages hard cornering, which means u get through a lot of tyres. The bad point is that it fell apart - exhaust holed at 40K, warped discs - the list goes on and on.

A mk2 with a 1.8T is going to be really fast!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had an S16 Pug back in 94, great car, but a bit lifeless. The build quality is poor as well. I have had Mk2 8 and 16 valves, Mk3 and Mk4, and the handling of the 306 out of the box is so much better, but the 1.9 205GTI is the best car I have had. So involving and great performance.

SB

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I owned a 306 XSi (16 valve 137 bhp) I test drove the GTi-6. The 306 has incredible steering feel and feedback. It really encourages hard cornering, which means u get through a lot of tyres. The bad point is that it fell apart - exhaust holed at 40K, warped discs - the list goes on and on.

yes but at least the windows dont drop, and the fans dont fail and brake lights go out doors droop... etc etc

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

yes but at least the windows dont drop, and the fans dont fail and brake lights go out doors droop... etc etc
You want know what went wrong my 306??? Read my report:
http://www.carsurvey.org/review_70294.html

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I shouldn't have sold my damn syncro, that had independant rear
suspension, and I could have just left it 2wd. Went for peanuts aswell
as it the engine was overheating...

The mk2 will be basic, no electric windows, central locking or power
steering, so not too much to go wrong. The donor engine (and vehicle)
has been my daily driver for quite a while now and has been 100%
reliable. I'll be selling it straight away anyway, to fund a soul
destroying commercial vehicle

·
Registered
798 Posts
if you dont lift of and are going too fast the car will understeer
To a point...
If you are going too fast round a bend, a front wheel drive car will eventually oversteer, I had the back snap round once on a wet roundabout, took me completely by surprise this wasn't caused by lifting off because I was accelerating hard at the time. Since I'd never experienced this before I panicked and lifted off, instead of correcting the slide and accelerating, after a bit of arm twirling and fishtailing I managed to straighten it out.. luckily.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Very similar I think...The Standard 150 feels quicker with the torque but in reality the GTI-6 is the slightly quicker car, The GTI-6 would have been much better if 1st gear wasn't so long! I use to get left behind on the lights by Type R's, Clio cups as the 1st gear was pants....best 0-60 I recorded in the GTI-6 was 7.7 secs which a standard 150 TDI CAN acheive.The GTI6 was all about in gear acceleration and once out of 1st gear it was a flyer pretty much like a 6speed TDI really GTI6 was an absolute hoot to drive!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I had an S16 Pug back in 94, great car, but a bit lifeless. The build quality is poor as well. I have had Mk2 8 and 16 valves, Mk3 and Mk4, and the handling of the 306 out of the box is so much better, but the 1.9 205GTI is the best car I have had. So involving and great performance.

SB
I have to agree I also has an S16 and it was a bit lifeless at times though a mat of mine has a gti-6 and raved over it. 205 1.9 gti still the king though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
my brother had a mk2 gti with a coilover kit i've not been in anything that handles as good, after that he had a mk3 vr6 and straight line speed was faster but corners the mk2 won by far,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts