Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you answer a question that is doing my head in... I swear the Observatory shopping centre used to be part of the Queensmere shopping centre? Every time I go back to Slough I try to remember but it's all a bit hazy [:S]

·
Registered
611 Posts
No, they were never together.

Queensmere was built in the early 70s and The Observatory is relatively recent

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is it just my mind playing tricks or is the Queensmere much smaller than I remember? It seems to stop at the entrance opposite Boots?

Funny how Hamleys in Regent Street now also seems much smaller than I remember from years ago as a child [:(]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i've just moved here and find if i'm in one i think its the other one and vice versa, i think its because the new one seems pretty rubbish and the old has all the good shops in, is this right or am i getting them mixed up again.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know for sure that the Queensmere used to have an open cafe area just like the Giardino Cafe in the Observatory, and there was a toy shop near it - but there is nothing like this in the Queensmere now. If you look at the web site http://www.queensmere.co.uk/ you'll see both the Queensmere and Observatory seem to be run by the same organization.

BigAl, could it be that the current Observatory building used to be called Queensmere as well but was just not physically joined to the old one? This is really doing my head in for some reason!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
yep!

i never noticed the message in my inbox until it was too late, its hard sorting my shifts at short notice, would have come along otherwise.

thanks for the invite tho,

·
Registered
642 Posts
theyve always been seperate...

i remember my mum dragging me every saturday morning when i was a kid, It did seem a lot bigger then lol

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well I know for sure that the Queensmere used to have an open cafe area just like the Giardino Cafe in the Observatory, and there was a toy shop near it - but there is nothing like this in the Queensmere now. If you look at the web site http://www.queensmere.co.uk/ you'll see both the Queensmere and Observatory seem to be run by the same organization.

BigAl, could it be that the current Observatory building used to be called Queensmere as well but was just not physically joined to the old one? This is really doing my head in for some reason!
The current Observatory building was only built comparatively recently (10-15 years? ), AFAIK it has always been called the Observatory.

Queensmere is pretty much unchanged since the early 70s, shops have come and gone, buts its largely the same. The theatre and the shops around that were added later.

The only open air cafe I remember was a small addition to a coffee shop situated between the back of Marks and Spencer and the steps/tunnel to the bus station.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theyve always been seperate...

i remember my mum dragging me every saturday morning when i was a kid, It did seem a lot bigger then lol
LOL OK, I was thinking of asking ya Rach.

Damn, I'm 30 and senile already [:p]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm gonna have to go back and visit, perhaps tonight, as more memories are starting to come back now!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I remember slough well, we used to go to the cinema when we were teenagers then play run outs around the slopes to the car park lol

Some of the shops there have been there since the year dot lol I remember them building the observertory so it cant be that old....

well no it can to be honest, im 30 lol

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My home town.

Seem to remember them extending the Queensmere in the late 70's. Observatory was built 85-86. Remember that there was a large Waitrose and car park where the Observatory is now.

Anyone remember the underground pub by the cimena, The Kingfisher? Was a good place as; as a bunch of 16 year olds back in 1987 it had two key ingredients, you could get served in there and it had strippers. Remember unfotunately taking a girlfirend down there one night before the pictures, big mistake.

Also, anyone remeber the linked traffic lights along the A4 that would allow you, providing you went between 25 and 30 mph to catch all the lights on green and it took about 5 minutes? Amazing that was, now to do the same stretch it takes 20+ minutes. Had a mate who was good at maths and he calculated that you could do at something like 68mph which was proved and then at 103mph or something stupid, not proved as we didn't have fast enough cars back then.

Also, did you know that Iain Lee and Jimmy Carr come from Slough?

Other than that, there is not much memorable about the place, I oved to posh Maidenhead years ago.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My home town.

Seem to remember them
extending the Queensmere in the late 70's. Observatory was built 85-86.
Remember that there was a large Waitrose and car park where the
Observatory is now.

Anyone remember the underground pub by
the cimena, The Kingfisher? Was a good place as; as a bunch of 16 year
olds back in 1987 it had two key ingredients, you could get served
in there and it had strippers. Remember unfotunately taking a
girlfirend down there one night before the pictures, big mistake.

Also,
anyone remeber the linked traffic lights along the A4 that would allow
you, providing you went between 25 and 30 mph to catch all the lights
on green and it took about 5 minutes? Amazing that was, now to do the
same stretch it takes 20+ minutes. Had a mate who was good at maths and
he calculated that you could do at something like 68mph which was
proved and then at 103mph or something stupid, not proved as we didn't
have fast enough cars back then.

Also, did you know that Iain Lee and Jimmy Carr come from Slough?

Other than that, there is not much memorable about the place, I oved to posh Maidenhead years ago.
The
A4 was brilliant when the lights were phased like that. All the
boy racers would scream away from one set and then have to slam their
brakes on for the next set, whereas I could just trundle along and get
through them all. Tortoise vs Hare! The way they're pahsed
now is highly frustrating.

I'm not sure I'd describe Maidenhead as posh...

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My home town.

Seem to remember them extending the Queensmere in the late 70's. Observatory was built 85-86. Remember that there was a large Waitrose and car park where the Observatory is now.
Aaaah, yeah, Waitrose! Slough was the first Waitrose I had ever seen! Now they've got Ann Summers there in its place?

·
Registered
216 Posts
ct.p i see you are from maidenhead what school did you go to i come from cookham originally and went to furze platt comp

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
So is it just my mind playing tricks or is the Queensmere much smaller than I remember? It seems to stop at the entrance opposite Boots?

Funny how Hamleys in Regent Street now also seems much smaller than I remember from years ago as a child [:(]
Reminds me of the sketch in Father Ted where they are in the caravan and Ted is explaining that the cows are farther away.[:p]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts