Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im using Nero as my burning software mainly because it supports multiple drives. The problem im having is keeping the buffer full. It slows down at least once per burn, adding time onto the burn time. Ive s elected the manual buffer option for 80mb and this helps a little but was wondering if there was anything else I could do?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
A 12x drive is probably too old to feature buffer underrun (pioneered by Sanyo - bascially stopping the laser and resuming when the buffer is healthy again) and this sounds like Nero's "software" buffer which either uses RAM or hard disk space. Buy a faster CD-RW, they cost less than ?15 now.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
My theory still stands!

Its just literally catching up with stuff. I was taught this a long time ago, may have been taught wrong of course!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably correct. But it just seems pointless in having a faster burn capacity drive and disc if the software cant keep up. If I burn at 12x it takes exactly the same time as 8x because at 8x it doesnt need to slow down to rebuffer.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridisc Extreme - it actually says the disc could burn at 16x but when you load it into the drive nero automatically drops it down to 12x.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Well I dunno then apart from what I have said. Remember drives are based and sold on their absolute maximum speed. So 12x could be achieved under the best conditions. It could be that your HDD isnt feeding it quick enough.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
XP pro SP2
Opteron 146 overclocked to 2.9ghz
2gb OCZ DDR600
74gb WD Raptor (for OS & Programs)
400gb Hitachi (for bulk storage)
DFI Lanparty Ultrad-D MB

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Just a thought.....watch your CPU usage as your burning, specifically when the buffer drops, or just before it drops. Bet something is maxing out.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Well I dunno then apart from what I have said. Remember drives are based and sold on their absolute maximum speed. So 12x could be achieved under the best conditions. It could be that your HDD isnt feeding it quick enough.
That's right - a 52x CD-ROM does not read at 52x constantly.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I just tried it and CPU usage never goes above 5%. Must be that it just cant keep up but given the system spec Im not sure where the problem is. At the end of the day we're only talking maybe an extra minute or so. Its not exactly life threatening, more curious.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Your maximum and optimum speed on a drive such as that would be around 10x. Which explains why if burning at 12x , its almost the same as 8.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah your right. I s elected the 'show true burning speed' option and the burn speed fluctuates from anywhere between 8x and 12.3x but averages at around 10x.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ahh well! I'm a scrooge, I still have a 4x drive which actually burns at 1x, I think it's knackered after my few hundred 'back ups' [;)]

Nightmare when I have a few to back up!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts