Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the one that's needed for fitting the hex (captive) nuts for the CD changer bracket.

If anyone around the West Midlands has access to one and wouldn't mind sparing 10 mins to fit the 5 rivnuts, i'd be really grateful.

Cheers [:)]

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
You can get the captive nuts to be errmmm... captive using nothing more than a 6mm bolt and a large washer.It doesn't always work as sometimes the captive nut just spins before it starts to grip,but I've done it like this dozens of times,and it probably works about 9 out of 10 times.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even though they are hex, the bolts need to be torqued quite high which still causes them to spin! I suppose this is where the large washer comes into play?

I've managed to get one in but that's only because I was able to hold the nut with a 9mm spanner while tightening the bolt with a socket.

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
I think maybe my average of 9 out of 10 was a bit high now I think about it as it's quite a few years since I've had to do it,but I always managed to get enough to hold to make the bracket secure.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not got a clue what size the threads are mate, i'll have to ask my dad tomorrow. All I know is the bolt takes a 10mm socket.

I know you're a little bit out the way, I guess you could post it to me and i'll post it back when i'm done, obviously i'd refund your postage hehe [;)][:D]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hiya mate,

A 10mm bolt head is an M6 thread size so the die with my Rivnut gun would do the job for you..

Postage idea should work mate so it's yours if you want it... [:D]

I'll go and dig it out of my van and weigh up the best way to post it etc, i'll throw in a couple of M6 clinchnuts too just in case... [;)]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Instead of using the rivnut gun, you can do the job with some simple bits like this:

The silver bit isn't threaded internally, it just slips over the bolt. The bolt fits the internal thread of the rivnut.
Before fitting the rivnut to the bolt, you slip a ring spanner over the silver bit.
Then slip on a star washer and screw on the rivnut so that it's head is tight against the star washer.
Slip the rivnut into the mounting hole, use the ring spanner to hold the silver bit still and tighten the bolt head with a second spanner.
The star washer holds the head of the rivnut while the bolt pulls the rivnut so that it expands in the hole. Job done.

Sorry I didn't post this last night, I had to go and look for these bits first and remind myself how it works. Hope that helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts