Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Anyone here like their MKv GTi? They are very poor.. apparently..

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Derv Burner 
#1 ·
Now I like my MKV 2.0TDI. However, I was under the impression that the MKv GTi is a very special car.

However, after having a browse of the MKIV forum, I discovered that they are a bit slow and tacky compared to the MKIV GTi.

Its all true. I read it here on http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/558283.aspx Why dont you have a look and post your thoughts.

Best regards,

Sir B1tchalot.

#2 ·
I really like mine I have to say.

It's only 200bhp for christ's sake. It's weighs over 1300kgs. It's PtoW is about 150bhp/ton last time i looked.

It's not the fastest thing out there by any means. But it's got good pull in all gears and does what I want.

Yes I do find the ride being a bit stiffer than expected but that's more down to the crappy roads we have in the UK.

Other than that...it's lovely and gets plenty of looks.

#4 ·
Agreed... If there's not much in the mk4revo vs mk5gti, then quite frankly, you're not going to get miracles, are you [:)]

Having driven a 407 tractor round the last week, my GTI put me into the boot twice today (first time back in it), so, er, yeah [:)]

C

#6 ·
I've only had my MK5 GTi a week but i'm pretty impressed with it so far. I drove a Mk4 GTi (150bhp) before i bought my last car (Civic Type-R). The performance of the Mk4 was OK but it's handling really let it down as it just wanted to understeer all the time.
I cant comment on how it would compare to a Mk4 that had been chipped for more power and had uprated suspension. It's never fair to compare standard cars with modified ones but I can see why somebody would't be too keen to spend ?10k to change to the latest model from a Mk4. I'll probably be feeling the same way myself in a couple of years time when the next Mk6 GTi's released!

#7 ·
I've had my GTI about three weeks now and, as with any new car (especially with DSG), it takes a bit of getting used to but the more I am, the more I'm thinking that the motoring media weren't feeding me BS with their reviews and the car IS the "mutts nuts" and something quite special.

There seems to be an awful lot of people on this forum who, when assessing how good a car is, seem to have difficulty seeing past bhp figures. Yes, the Focus ST and Vauxhall VXR, for example, are both more powerful but, hang on! How many times are you going to be hittting speeds past 100 mph in an average week? How many times are you going to be launching the car to 60 mph under 6 seconds in an average week?

It's the overall driving experience the GTI gives you. I've been cruising down the M5 at speeds, shall we say, a little over the national maximum with quiet, effortless poise in a car that feels very solid and very safe - exactly what I want when driving on the motorway. Today, I fancied a bit of a blast after watching F1 - one thing the ST and VXR can't give you and that's the slickest gearshift on the market. I wonder how many ST and VXR drivers out there would be able to run up the gears as fast as DSG paddle-shift? Again, I can play at being a racing driver far more satisfyingly than I reckon I could in any of the direct competitors.

Can't really comment on the Mk IV as I've never driven one (I've alway liked the look of them though whereas it was an acquired taste with the Mk V). In summary, the car looks great, feels great, and the more I drive it, the more I want to drive it. Yes, it is a special car and, in it's class and price range, I don't think there's much if anything to beat it.

#10 ·
Just about every motoring Journo across Europe and the US recon it's about the best performance hatch back you can buy, and the one thing they mention time and time again, is the improvment in handling over the MK4, together with much better steering feel and feedback.

Having now owned two Mk5's I can say there dead right.

#11 ·
Without doubt the MKV GTI is far superior to a MKIV even a chipped / sorted suspension MKIV. I know this because I sold my MKIV (heavily modified) for a MKV.

The MKIV with uprated suspension was certainly firmer, however the MKV will corner far better and is more firmly planted. Firm does not equal better or quicker round corners.

My MKIV was also REVO Stage 2 putting out more BHP than my MKV. My MKV will still beat it from A to B, it is about the usable power, the MKV has it all the though the range.

The MKV is not perfect, but it is certainly the best car I could find for the money. I would also say that the MKV GTI is a big step up from other MKV's I have driven.

#15 ·
Sour grapes I reckon.

The Mk4 has a better quality of interior plastics, but that's about it. As for handling the mk5 GTI is years ahead. I have driven one quickly on roads I drive in my own car, and the mk5 is better. The only thing it needs IMO is uprated arb's.

It will probably be my next car.

#16 ·
I still have (up for sale at the moment) a
Mk IV GTi (the standard 180bhp one) and while I love the car I just don't think
it really compares to the new Mk V GTi that I test drove a few months
back.

The Mk V didn't really feel that much faster but the handling was
far superior. I thought the Mk V felt so
much more balanced and eager when turning into a corner, and I also felt the
gear change in the manual felt much more solid than in the Mk IV. Anyway, that?s my 2P?s worth.

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>I'm still getting used to my new R32 DSG at
the moment?.one word so far?..awesome [:)]

#17 ·
Hmmm.

I regularly get 40mpg, my 1st set of front tyres have done over 18,000 miles, and still have a couple of thousand left, the rears look like they will do 30K+. Yet, a couple of days ago when some berk in a new BMW 5-something thought it would be funny to overtake me as we both turned right onto a country lane, he got an object lesson in just how quick from a standing start the GTi actually is. Sure, there are a lot of fast cars around nowadays, and the MK5 GTi is definately one of them, but it won't cost you the earth to own it. Great car.

#18 ·
Having owned a MKIV fully sorted with 196bhp, Koni's, eibachs & F&Rear arbs I can say the only thing that was better was the MPG as it was a diesel !! The new GTi is everything the press have said " a superb all round package". I absolutely loved my PD150, it looked and went superb but the new mkV is just that little bit better, sorry but it's the truth it just does everything so well. The ST & VXR look and sound pretty good IMO but I'd rather spend the extra cash and have the GTi - Oh I did [;)]

#19 ·
FWIW, I had a brief test drive of a mk V GTI with a DSG 'box last weekend, and I would say that it's a better car than my A3. The handling is leagues ahead for sure, with a good amount of mid-corner throttle adjustability which is missing on the mk IV and 8L A3.

The GTI felt about the same speed as my A3 (AmD remap -> 198bhp), but the power didn't come in with a bang at 3.5k revs so it didn't feel as frantic - maybe that's what the mk 4 people are on about?

The thing I really didn't like was the DSG 'box! Sorry! I was expecting it to change instantly (like a playstation game!) but there was a bit of lag which was disappointing.

Can't wait to get a test drive in one with a normal gearbox.

#22 ·
The thing I really didn't like was the DSG 'box! Sorry! I was expecting it to change instantly (like a playstation game!) but there was a bit of lag which was disappointing.
The DSG gearbox does take a bit of getting used to after you've spent your whole driving life using a manual gearbox. However, the only time I seem to experience any lag is when I shift up within too low a rev range (~ 1K - 2K). Don't get any lag to speak of if I shift up at 3K revs or above.

Having said this, I can understand why some people would prefer a good old manual box and all the reviews I've read say this is a very slick piece of machinery in itself.

#24 ·
MkV GTI on 18s is more composed and compliant than my MkIV on 17s and coilovers - and still handles better - testing mine back to back with a MkV 1.6 FSI I found mine to have higher lateral grip but then it has fatter tyres and whatever, we're talking out of the box here for the MkV. Very competent in any guise. I've now got a rear ARB on mine which helps the turn-in and grips better but still it ain't no MkV. My car is bone-shaking compare to the two MkVs I've tested, and stiffer/firmer doesn't necessarily equate to better handling. Ideally I'd like to have a MkV GTI or R32 but still keep the MkIV simply because I love it still [:)]

#25 ·
MkV GTI on 18s is more composed and compliant than my MkIV on 17s and coilovers - and still handles better - testing mine back to back with a MkV 1.6 FSI I found mine to have higher lateral grip but then it has fatter tyres and whatever, we're talking out of the box here for the MkV. Very competent in any guise. I've now got a rear ARB on mine which helps the turn-in and grips better but still it ain't no MkV. My car is bone-shaking compare to the two MkVs I've tested, and stiffer/firmer doesn't necessarily equate to better handling. Ideally I'd like to have a MkV GTI or R32 but still keep the MkIV simply because I love it still [:)]
Nice balanced opinion, Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.