Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has had a test drive of the new A3 170 as either a 3 door or a Sportback.

My local Audi dealer has one as a demonstrator apparently and was thinking of having a test, and knowing me I will like it.

I reallt like the look of the S-line but was just wondering if the 170 was much more of a benefit than a 140 or not?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Haven't driven a car with this engine, but I have been told by a reliable source that it is very good, although you could get a 140 and remap to about 180-185bhp.

I'm hoping they offer it with quattro like the 140.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I was at Superchips a couple of months ago and they had a brand new A3 PD170 Sportback S-Line Quattro in from a dealer. Without any great effort they extracted 200bhp, said the car was great and has bags of potential.

It looked great as well, in black.[:D]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hmmm - interesting to me, this...Have a dilema about the A3 sportback s-line. Don't like diesel rattle so go fo the 2.0T and get atleast 240bhp...but then at 20000 miles per year, could really do with the economy of the diesel

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?uc=2&Id=501210262&DefaultImage=ebc&view=1&width

[*-)]
Well that is the nub of the diesel vs. petrol conundrum isn't it. I got into diesels because I wanted economy. My argument doesn't stack up as I found this site 4 years ago and have ploughed thousands into cars since. You gotta laugh! I'm happy with my decision still, enjoy driving it and would probably go diesel again next time, but I won't be modding it like crazy I'll just get a 335d and have done. Well, after a trip to Buckingham [:p]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm - interesting to me, this...Have a dilema about the A3 sportback s-line. Don't like diesel rattle so go fo the 2.0T and get atleast 240bhp...but then at 20000 miles per year, could really do with the economy of the diesel

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?uc=2&Id=501210262&DefaultImage=ebc&view=1&width

[*-)]
This is sort of my dilema. I am really happy with my car at present but VW p***ed me off regarding the price of a service so I went for a look at Audi 200 yards up the road. I have always driven a diesel, but there was a petrol 2.0T quattro Sport with 4000 on the clock sat on the street at 18000 I think.

Although I love the look of an S-Line this was a cheap car, in my opinion. And when I mentioned it to the girlfriend last night, she stated I'd better get a 5 door if I am going to do it as she wants kids[:O] sometime next year!

Just going to have a test in both and see which I like more, that is if I decide to change at all.

Decisions decisions[*-)]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
[Y] - I drove an E90 325i and wasn't overly fussed my it. The interior is too sparse for my liking - the suspension on run flats and 18s was rock hard - and inspite of 217 ( or whatever it is ) bhp - it didn't feel like it. Then Charlie fell over and smashed his head on the dealer's desk so that was the end of that [:O]

I liked the 2.0T A4 - but again, although it went well, it didn't feel fast - not like the big shove of torque you get from the TDi

What to do [:cool:]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I know - been trying to find a piccy of the Sportback 2.0TFSi thats for sale at my local dealers - no luck.

Oh well, best get back to putting those ?1 in the meter...[:(]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I spoke to Foxy earlier while driving home. He said Aric's been at Superchips today. They have a Seat FR PD170 demonstrator which dynoed at 190bhp as standard and has been remapped with no other mods to 230bhp and 320lb/ft. I'll get hold of Aric so he can comment. That's some result.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
too true - almost makes you wanna chop the Anni in, James, doesn't it [:p] - would definately be interested in what Aric has to say about it...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I spoke to Foxy earlier while driving home. He said Aric's been at Superchips today. They have a Seat FR PD170 demonstrator which dynoed at 190bhp as standard and has been remapped with no other mods to 230bhp and 320lb/ft. I'll get hold of Aric so he can comment. That's some result.
As James said i went over to Superchip yesterday afternoon to get new codes for the bluefin. While i was there talking to Jamie (Director of SC), i asked him about if they have any results for the PD170, i was then shown across to their worksop and to see the Seat PD170 on the dyno. They have been working on this engine for a while and now at the stage reviewing and fine turning the different codes they had for the car then decide which code will be best to the general public.
From the dyno results, the car produced around 185-190bhp stock and able getting around 210bhp with just over 300lb/ft torque with remap. They have also managed to dyno with results around 230bhp and 320lb/ft torque! This is based on the car with 6 speed manual gearbox. They not yet had DSG version but i guessing it will be a matter of time before they will have one on their hands to work on. As with any cars, athough they might have the same engine and gearbox for the same model, they somehow have slightly different performance output. As with mine they were able to do some tweaks on the to get better results and until they happy with the outcome before handing your car back. "Good customer service?"
For those that thinking about the the TSI version, SC just had delivery of one and will be working on that twin charged engine.

I will post some updates and graphs when sc is ready with the final codes.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Aric. There is quite a difference between the 210/300 and the 230/320...is that because there is a "safe" state of tune and a " this is what we could acheive ..but not for everyday" level ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Aric. There is quite a difference between the 210/300 and the 230/320...is that because there is a "safe" state of tune and a " this is what we could acheive ..but not for everyday" level ?
What superchip able to acheive and what to be release is 2 different things. They will only release what is best both world in turn of performance and reliability. I am not saying they are not reliable to use, but will you prefer to keep your turbo / clutch(es) for 3-4 years or 6-12 months?
Remember superchip offers warranties against your car when using their product if it to have caused problem due to their product.
I so happen to know a PD140 getting over 300bhp..... but would you want that on your everyday car? I am sure you all will love to... but how long will the hardware last?

·
Registered
238 Posts
[Y] - I drove an E90 325i and wasn't overly fussed my it. The interior is too sparse for my liking - the suspension on run flats and 18s was rock hard - and inspite of 217 ( or whatever it is ) bhp - it didn't feel like it. Then Charlie fell over and smashed his head on the dealer's desk so that was the end of that [:O]

I liked the 2.0T A4 - but again, although it went well, it didn't feel fast - not like the big shove of torque you get from the TDi

What to do [:cool:]
I think you have hit the nail on the head there. The diesel feels fast because of the torque shove whereas the 2.0T doesn't feel as fast as it is very refinned. I find with most performance diesels, and I have driven both VAG 130 and 150 engines in the golf, it's a bit all or nothing with regards the power delivery.

The Volvo S60 D5 (185bhp - 400NM) is a bit different though (as I expect the BMW diesels are with 6 cylinders), - very refined and very smooth. And ur, very quick. I was test driving one last year and on the motorway we were hassling a Boxster S (I knew the sales guy!). He reckoned there was little in it between the T5 and D5 in terms of performance and that the police are starting to use them as motorway pursuit cars.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What superchip able to acheive and what to be release is 2 different things. They will only release what is best both world in turn of performance and reliability. I am not saying they are not reliable to use, but will you prefer to keep your turbo / clutch(es) for 3-4 years or 6-12 months?
Remember superchip offers warranties against your car when using their product if it to have caused problem due to their product.
I so happen to know a PD140 getting over 300bhp..... but would you want that on your everyday car? I am sure you all will love to... but how long will the hardware last?
I hope it is 4WD otherwise it would just sit there in a cloud of its own tyre smoke!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts