Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm seriously thinking of going for the ECS Stage 4 Porsche brakes supplied by jbr performance. Has anyone got this kit and what do you think of it?

My rear brakes need to be changed pretty soon also but i wont haven't enough ??? left after getting the ECS Stage 4. What's the worse thing that could happen if i left the rear brakes runnin low for another month or so?

cheers

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty sure Kev also said that the smallest wheel he can run is an 18"
I've been sent the wheel clearance template, all i need to do is find a printer and see if the brakes will fit in my rims (they 18'' but without much space on the inside so fingers crossed). From the sound of things, they seem like pretty good brakes. Maybe a bit on the 'bit too much' side but no negative comments yet :) thanx

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Pretty sure Kev also said that the smallest wheel he can run is an 18"
I've been sent the wheel clearance template, all i need to do is find a printer and see if the brakes will fit in my rims (they 18'' but without much space on the inside so fingers crossed). From the sound of things, they seem like pretty good brakes. Maybe a bit on the 'bit too much' side but no negative comments yet :) thanx
Hello Mokeylock...

The brakes are great and the stoping power is spot on whether the car is standard power or +300bhp.

Brakes are well controlled under braking and never lock up as the ABS works very well with them.

As mentioned the only problem is the fact that you can not put any wheels lower than 18" on the car, so if you run winter 16"or 17" alloys you can't put them on.

With my brakes I have managed to get away without fitting spacers, but I was told that I needed them. Luckly the BBS have a good offset and they fit perfectly....

I've had a few golf owners in the car and they are amazed at the stoping power.... defo a head hitting the widescreen brake set up under hard braking...LOL...LOL...[:)]

Here's some pictures on my car with 19" alloys:

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the info RS (whats ur name btw?)
wow, beautiful or what. I just hope my alloys have a good enough clearance. When did you fit porsche brakes on the rear? Last time I saw pics of your car i thought it only had front porsche only. (are they from ECS also?).

What's the black plastic thing you've got on one of the bolts in the last pic?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
When did you fit porsche brakes on the rear? Last time I saw pics of your car i thought it only had front porsche only. (are they from ECS also?).

What's the black plastic thing you've got on one of the bolts in the last pic?
The black plastic thing (I'm assuming you are referring to the caliper) is the cap for the bleeding nipple on the calipers. There is one on each side of the same caliper to help bleed the brake fluid. There is one on each side due to the four pot set up.

I have ECS brakes on the rear and they are 308mm discs, but they are not Porsche calipers. They use the standard calipers mounted on caliper spacers and they work very well with the front 355mm discs. Porsche rears would be a bit of an over kill on a front wheel drive car, but they would look good....[:D] the whole brake set up cost me just under ?2,000 [:(][:'(] which is a lot of money, but money well spent as they look good and get a lot of attention when driving along the road, as when the wheels are in motion they look awesome.

Any questions then just shout.

Cheers Kev..

P.s. I fitted the brakes myself and I found it very easy and I enjoyed it, but the flushing of the old brake fluid and the bleeding of the uprated fluid was a nightmare [:'(] even with the correct tools and aids.

Here's the only picture I have of the rear discs (sorry not very clear[:$]):

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Like Kev I have the ECS Stage 1 Rear (paired with the puny 332mm Stage 2v2 up front!)

Details here http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=1.8T&model=337/20AE&submodel=&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS%20Stage%201R

ECS do a single or vented version of this kit depending on whether the car has 232mm single or 256mm vented rears as standard. Both are shown on the site.

As for the fronts, the beauty of the ECS kit (2v2 or 4 have the same clearance) is that spacers should be unnecessary - the monobloc Boxster caliper is compact, unlike the Leon/Brembo GT Junior kits. Spacers are to be avoided on the driven wheels from the advice I've received.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
(paired with the puny 332mm Stage 2v2 up front!)
LOL..LOL..LOL.... you can't really see those discs at all.. very small and puny not like the stage 4...LOL...LOL.... only joking [:$]... hope you are ok mate.

Spacers are to be avoided on the driven wheels from the advice I've received.
Ditto that mate.. I had some 3mm spacers a few years ago and the balancing of the front wheels was a nightmare.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ditto that mate.. I had some 3mm spacers a few years ago and the balancing of the front wheels was a nightmare.
Thanx for the info Kev. As fas as spacers on the front goes, thanx for mentioning it guys just yesterday i was going to get 5mm spacers fit on the front. I've got spacers on the rear and they haven't really been a problem at all, does the same not apply to the rear spacers? or is it just the front cause it's the driving wheel?

Would something like this help with the front balancing problem (Ground Control Camber/Caster kit)?

http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/ground_control_camb/install/dsc03233.html

http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/ground_control_camb/install/dsc03235.htmlhttp://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/ground_control_camb/install/dsc0336.html

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanx for the info Kev. As fas as spacers on the front goes, thanx for mentioning it guys just yesterday i was going to get 5mm spacers fit on the front. I've got spacers on the rear and they haven't really been a problem at all, does the same not apply to the rear spacers? or is it just the front cause it's the driving wheel?
The links you have posted are designed to adjust the camber and they are normally quite expensive, I don't think the will help with this but they will allow the tyres to have better contact with the road..

The balancing problem, we've mentioned is due to the spacers knocking the balancing of the wheel out. This should only affect the front wheels and the bad balancing / vibration will be sent through to the steering wheel once a certain speed has been reached normally 40-60 mph.

The reason the problem happens is due to without spacers the wheel sits on the centre of the hubs and as long as the alloys have been balanced with there tyres should cause no problems, but when spacers are used you need to make sure it is in the exact centre along with the alloy, which is normally had to do, or it will be slightly to one side and the smallest amount of weight will knock out the balancing and result in vibration through the steering wheel. Sorry I'm finding it a bit hard to explain, but I hope it makes a little sense.

To over come this Hubspheric spacers are required, but the minimum spacer thickness is 10-11mm which might be to much but it depends what the offset of the alloys are.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a bit of a problem, I tried the stage 4 wheel template against my wheels and it's too big. I contacted Richard from JBR performance and he told me the next best one to go for would be the Stage 2v2, would you guys agree?

I was also wondering if the stage 2v2 will be good enough for a supercharged 4Motion?

cheers

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Got a bit of a problem, I tried the stage 4 wheel template against my wheels and it's too big. I contacted Richard from JBR performance and he told me the next best one to go for?would be the Stage 2v2, would you guys agree?

I was also wondering?if the stage 2v2 will be good enough?for a supercharged 4Motion?

cheers
Yes and then some. Come and have a demo - Watford is between London and Birmingahm after all.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes and then some. Come and have a demo - Watford is between London and Birmingahm after all.
Cheers mate, I'll PM you if I can (maybe end of the week).

I just realised that on the ECS Tuning site, they have a Stage 3 also....!!... This doesn't seem to exist on the UK or US JBR Performance site. I think trying the stage 3 template before going for the stage 2v2 might be the smart way to go about it (as i'm trying to get the biggest thing possible).

Do you guys know about the Stage 3? first time i see it and Richard from JBR didn't mention it to me when i said i wanted the next best thing after the stage 4 (he instead mentioned the stage 2v2, not sure why).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts