Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to drive to Newquay on Friday and want to keep fuel cost to a minimum. 800 mile round trip. How I drive at the moment I get about 300/350 miles to a full tank mostly motorway miles. Any tips are welcome

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Get a diesel lol [au]

I would say just drive steady and check the normal things right tyre presser etc i do Sheffield to Newquay about 3-4 times a year to go see the rents thats only 650ish miles in my TDi i get about 520miles outa a full tank so i have to top up on the way back.

Have you got Cruse control fitted ? properly be good to stick it at a steady pace and just take your time, i set off very early between 2-5 in morning normally to miss the worse of the traffic so you not in traffic wasting fuel.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's what i thought, just going to try plod along at 70. Going to be hard if a saxo over takes me though lol

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Set your trip computer to read mpg live rather than mpg accumulated, and watch how your driving style affects mpg as you drive. You'll soon see how the best economy figures can be achieved. Then buy a diesel and do the same thing. A tank full of diesel would get me there and back in my pd130.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If anything sit at 60/65.

I did this recently on a 100mile motorway/a road trip and the average mpg was showing 42.3mpg when I got home.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I try to read the road ahead and get my speed right meaning not braking hard or putting my foot down to get back up to speed. Dont brake at all if you can as getting your car back up to speed is when you use the most of your fuel. When changing down gears dont go 6th 5th 4th etc as every time the engine will rev up and use jfuel, I like to go 6th to 4th to 2nd. I tend to fine my best MPG is round 65mph.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you can bare the bordom sit in the slipstream behind a truck doing 56mph and your get much better mpg but your also be very bored, it does work though i used to do it sometimes when low on fuel and miles away from a service station.

The best mpg i found i could get was at 56 mph [cry]

·
Registered
790 Posts
i`d second what Matt Said,, or if you wanna go alil bit faster,, coaches punch a big hole in the air and are good to follow. and they do about 62mph. .. If you dont fancy that, just sit at about 60-65,, you`ll "feel" where your car likes to cruise at. And go gentle on the accelerating

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
I try to read the road ahead and get my speed right meaning not braking hard or putting my foot down to get back up to speed. Dont brake at all if you can as getting your car back up to speed is when you use the most of your fuel. When changing down gears dont go 6th 5th 4th etc as every time the engine will rev up and use jfuel, I like to go 6th to 4th to 2nd. I tend to fine my best MPG is round 65mph.
The engine uses no fuel when on the overrun. In effect the kinetic energy of the vehicle rolling to a standstill or slowing down will keep the engine turning over with no need for any fuel injection.

As pointed out, braking turns your speed into heat generated by the brake friction, so anticipation and easing off the throttle will slow you down without wasting any kinetic energy.

Top gear did a road test on a diesel 4.0ltr A8 driving from London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank of diesel. Watch it here. Part 1 and Part 2.

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
I could do 800 miles on a tank and a half of diesel but i am quite right foot happy at times.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A/C off, Windows up, minimum weight in the car (check boot, remove sparewheel and get inflation kit etc) ensure tyres are correct pressures

Set yourself a 3000 rpm peak, make sure you dont exceed it in ANY gear. Read the road further ahead - braking is a real fuel sapper! - try coasting down hills etc (keeping in gear, not neutral!)

Drive smoothly, no sudden speeding up or slowing down actions if you can help it.

Make sure the car is well maintained and i dont know if it would work for you but v-power from shell seems to last a little longer than regular unleaded for me.

self control is the key.. dont let people bait you!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Sit behind lorries the whole way.

You'll be doing about 55mph, which is the most economical speed, and you'll be in their slipstream saving even more fuel!

You can do it without getting dangerously close aswell. Obviously it works best if you're as close as possible, but i've seen it work pretty well with a decent sized gap between me and the lorry.

You'll arrive late though [:p]

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers all, yeah I always fill up with v power any way.

I'll report back when I get there on friday

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Set your trip computer to read mpg live rather than mpg accumulated, and watch how your driving style affects mpg as you drive. You'll soon see how the best economy figures can be achieved. Then buy a diesel and do the same thing. A tank full of diesel would get me there and back in my pd130.
x 2 ....... no better way than to watch your own cars live mpg usage and adapt driving to suit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
tyres at correct pressures

oil at correct level

keep air con to minimum use

live mpg reading is a very good suggestion

keep windows closed

don't carry loads of extra crap in the car

instead of just looking 200 yards ahead, look 800 ahead as well and adjust your speed gently according to what you're seeing

make sure you're not changing up too early as if you're not in the torque band in a certain gear, you'll make the engine work harder. Somewhere between 1800 and 2300 rpm should be about right for each change.

watch out for cars going much faster in the outside lane if you're trying to stick to e.g. 65 and still want to overtake lorries - otherwise you'll find yourself accelerating hard to avoid being rear-ended in the outside lane.

avoid running out of steam in a particular gear on longer hills - change to 5th gear slightly early so you have enough torque for a constant pace on the incline.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just got back from penzance, which was round about 800 miles there and back. di it on two tanks of fuel about 400 mile out of a tank. mainly stuck to 70 and followed the tips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts