Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Lite model last week and I must say Mario Kart is highly addictive, especially the online mode.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Got a normal old style DS and it's ace!
Not got Mario Kart but have played it and it's well cool. Loads of other top games out for the machine too.

Meteos, Metroid Prime, Mario and Luigi, Castlevania and more. All top games!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Spent a few hours playing on my mates DS - can't put it down - the games are really addictive [Y]

Mario Kart is a hoot - harks back to the old SNES days of huggling
round a small TV with controller in hand josslin' for position with my
mates [:D]

I'm in two minds to whether to get a DS lite or go for a PSP. I might
be going to New Zealand in Spetember so need something to while the
hours away on the plane. What do you recommend is better in the
longevity dept?

·
Registered
742 Posts
i have both and there good in their own ways but the psp is the far better handheld but nintendo are always going to bring out great addictive games but for features and graphics the psp is the better option but double the price!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Do what I did, get both :D

Between the 2 machines, I've got a heap more games for the DS and have played on it loads more than my PSP. Plus it'll play all the back catalogue of GBA ones.
There are some great games for the PSP, I just find there are loads more great games for the DS and the stylus offers completely new ways of playing stuff, it's a unique little machine :)

Battery life, there's no comparison. DS lasts well over twice as long on a single charge.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Ive had my DS since they came out and love it.
I have
Metroid (Demo)
Super Mario World DS
Warioware touched
MarioKart DS
Tetris Ds
DR Kawashima's Brain training
and i also have a Movie player for it where i can store video,games and E books on a CF card which fits into the adapter that plugs into the GBA slot at the front.The reason i never bought a PSP is because i have a playstaion at home and didnt see the point in essentially having the same games on the go.The DS is fun and the games are very adictive and best of all they are different and for all ages.

If anyone fancies a game of mariokart (or any of the other compatible games) online drop me a pm and we can swap Buddie codes [:D]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Show off [:p] How much did each set you back?

Probably worth asking wheres the cheapest place to get a DS lite as well? [:D] Battery life would be a selling point.
Hehe.. I have a vested interest and an excuse ;)
Since I work in the games industry I "clearly must stay abreast of it".. thus I have a damn good excuse to buy everything. Well, I've managed to convince myself and my girlfriend of this for years now ;)

The DS was the standard UK RRP and the PSP came from Hong Kong via ebay for the princely sum of ?120 :)
One of the best things about both machines is that they are both completely multi region meaning that it's a doddle to import games cheaply and well ahead of UK launch date from the USA or Canada (www.dvdboxoffice.com) Sooo cheap for games compared to here!

To pick between the 2, if you're really looking for the one that appeals to your taste..
The PSP is a stunning little machine. The games are generally mainstream PS2 style, very familiar, it has bags of processing power. Unfortunately I'd say lots of games are a bit dull. They're trying to be a PS2 game but it can't really hack it, and why bother.
But it's getting loads better now. LocoRoco is fantastic!! Other ace games (in my book) are Wipeout, Lumines, Daxter.. particularly Lumines, it's very addictive

The DS is completely different. Except for a few mainstream ports, it has it's own unique software that you won't see on your PS2 or XBox, which is why I rate the machine so highly. And if you play Metroid, it's the only console FPS with PROPER controls. The touch screen and the dual displays may sound like a gimmick, but they're not, they're brill.
I've never been much of a Nintendo follower in the past, but the DS is awesome! Instead of playing more of the same stuff, it lets you play something completely different. Can't wait for the Wii :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ive had my DS since they came out and love it.
If anyone fancies a game of mariokart (or any of the other compatible games) online drop me a pm and we can swap Buddie codes [:D]
I really need to buy Mario Kart. A UK-MKIVs competition would be very cool! :D
Or Metroid.. we could all have a quality deathmatch! But I know you'll all pick on me coz I don't own a VW anymore :(

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Tell me about it.And they seem to just teleport around the screen and generally wizz about twice the speed that i can.Somethings a bit fishy there i recon.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
ha ha
to be honest i havnt played Metroid at all.Not really into RPG's.
Now Mario Kart theres something we can work with.:)
Metroid's a first person shooter :)
Not got Mario Kart.. looks like I'll have to pick up a copy!
The fact that i dont even know the type of game it is says it all really [:D]
Mario Kart is a definate one to have.Warioware touched is also great fun too although you cant play online.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i got a ds lite the other week and mario cart is soo cool (takes me back lol) i also still have my psp i was going to sell it but i cant seem to part with it

ps anyone wanna buy king kong on the ds

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Images take eons to load, but the ds and Opera browser is handy if you just want to catch the footy results or news headlines when you're abroad and can't be arsed lugging a laptop around.

Posted Image

1 - 17 of 17 Posts