Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello people, looking to buy 2 tv's and has to be between 40-50'' one for the room and one for the living room.

right this is the point i need you tv experts to shine some light here.

went to my local comet and the lad give me a wee intro about the tvs that i suspect he didn't know much about. told him i've got a budet of 700 for my living room tv and he suggested me to get a 3d tv which was on special offer atm...

spec was 50'' 3D plasma with two 3d glasses which comes in 699 and it says 720p

tho i didn't get much about it! i thought 1080p was better? can anyone give me more info is this a good buy?

and tell me more info about the different tv's i should look out for thanks! cause still need to look for a 40'' for the room and theres so much to choose from

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Buy from John Lewis, they price match, have 5 yrs warrently and they will be much better service wise if somthing goes wrong.

I always buy Sony for TV's

·
Registered
223 Posts
I reckon you should think about if you are actually going to watch anything in 3D. To you intend to buy a 3D capable blu-ray player or get a sky/.virgin 3d subscription. If you have a PS3 with firmware >3.5 then you can use that to watch 3D blu-rays. Also have you looked into how much it costs for more 3D glasses if you want more than 2 people watching at a time. In some cases they can be very expensive.

If it is just a nice to have then I would recommend concentrating on a tv with better picture quality. 720p is amazing and a lot of people cant tell the difference from a 1080p set when sitting far enough away, But if you are spending £700 then you can comfortably get a good quality 1080p screen.

I just went out an bought the Samsung le40c650 lcd, its an amzing TV. But I got this because my budget was lower and I got an LCD because I dont want my electricity bill to increase too much.

My recommendation would be the Samsung le40c750. It doesn't use the ultra-slim led back lighting but for that price you would only get a low-end led backlit TV. However it has amazing picture quality and lots of extra features that allow you to play movies from your pc across the network and also watch bbc iplayer straight from the TV. (This TV is 3D capable i think)

If you want to go for a plasma I would recommend a Panasonic NeoPDP panel, that is what I got my dad to buy. Brilliant black levels, better viewing angles than lcds. But you may want to watch out for electricity use and it will also act as an extra radiator.

·
Registered
231 Posts
tho i didn't get much about it! i thought 1080p was better? can anyone give me more info is this a good buy?

and tell me more info about the different tv's i should look out for thanks! cause still need to look for a 40'' for the room and theres so much to choose from
If you're serious about quality pick up a copy of What Hi-Fi?, they'll have loads of reviews and probably a buyers guide and jargon buster.

Once you've decided on a few models, browse around the 'net. Richer Sounds is one of the cheaper retailers.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I would get a 1080p LCD tv from John Lewis.

LED are good but theres 2 types, they cost more than LCD and use more juice to run. The advantage with LED is contrast ratio but modern LCD have very decent ratios anyway.

1080 vs 720 is the amount of lines the picture is made up from, 1080 having more lines so more detail. All modern sets of decent quality should have this.

1080p vs 1080i P=Progressive scan which shows all 1080 lines per frame, I=Interlaced in frame 1 a 1080i tv would show 540 lines (say all the odds) frame 2 would show the other 540 evens. This can create problems with on screen movement (football etc.)

3d sorry not yet!!

Built in freeview hd would be a nice bonus.

My reasoning for John Lewis is simple, 5 yrs warranty and good after sales care.

If you are a gamer then you might want a "game mode feature" which cuts down post processing which causes lag on games i.e the display is not keeping up with your inputs.

Sony has game mode.

24p for blue ray is also good, blue ray films are recorded at 24 frames per second, a tv that match's this gives better results so your 200+ hzs tvs are good for some things hd movies prefer 24p.

So look for

1080p

high as possible contrast ratio

5 yr warranty

24p compatibility

freeview hd as a bonus

[Y]

·
i love to ski, its so relaxing
2,365 Posts
i wudnt buy a 3d tv yet as they've only just come out.. so obviously wait till they've improved and they might come down cheaper ;) but if u really want a tele i recomend a sony bravia 1080p 40", mines ace! good on the ps3 ;)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Ive just bought an LG 42" 1080p built in Freeview shed loads of features, picture and sound settings USB / HDMI / SCART connections.

Got it from ASDA delivered to my door and £89 cheaper than Currys / Comet and just about everywhere else.

Cracking TV for my budget (under £400) [Y]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
LED are good but theres 2 types, they cost more than LCD and use more juice to run. The advantage with LED is contrast ratio but modern LCD have very decent ratios anyway.
You are mixing panel and lighting technologies here.

LCD TVs are back lit (or sometimes and more recently side lit) by either CCFL or LED lights. LED lighting technology in TVs is the newer technology and has the advantage of lower energy consumption and lower operating temperature than CCFL.

In other words, "LED" TVs are LCD with LED back (or side) lighting.

Otherwise good advice given and like you we bought from JL: good price and the five year warranty helped to sway the decision. I also agree with the thoughts on 3D. Until the technology has improved such that we don't need to wear silly glasses, don't need to sit in a "sweet spot" for best effect and when content actually makes viewing in 3D worthwhile, it is little more than a ploy to get us to upgrade to the next big thing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The only thing mixed up was power consumption, I know the panels are still LCD.

I was under the impresion that they were more power hungry, guess thats not true.

I bought mine from the Sony Center, they offered the same warranty as JL and had a sale on at the time. I had to use my warranty and while they did get it fixed I feel that JL would of been a better choice!

The only thing for me thats 3d is the new DS, cant wait [<:eek:)]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi totaldub,

As 3D is the latest in terms of television technology, as the in-store colleague indicated, due to the price I would agree the Samsung PS50C490B3 is well worth considering as it offers superb 50 inch screen, 720p resolution, and is within the price bracket indicated.

However, as you have stated screen size 40"-50" I would also recommend the Samsung LE40C750 as this would provide both the 3D and 1080p screen resolution that you are looking for.

Alternatively, if you decide you would like to opt for a non-3D full HD 1080p model, we would suggest something like the LG 50PK350. Whilst well within your budget, it still provides a large 50 inch screen, and does not compromise on the features it has to offer (independent reviews for which can be found on-line).

Hope this info helps!

Thanks

Matt from Comet

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Richer sounds are the daddys. I get all my toys from there. there always open to a haggle too especially when you have a account with them. I have both LED and LCD tvs dotted round the house from 24" samsung to 55" sony. LEDs are alot faster on the Xbox and just give a better picture all round. The 42" LG LCD we have in the bedroom is good for the £600 i paid a couple years ago. i think you can get them for around £450 now. LG Deffo best value for money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts