Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right new houses are not my thing, I always said shoot me if I end up in a monotone copycat box with a company/vectra/bmw working 9-5 etc...

BUT at the moment me and the wife have spent 2 years house hunting and haven't found much that meets ALL our requirements (character property, off main road, south facing, garage, 4 bedrooms, ability to have downstairs toilet, driveway and south facing in an area we like)...

But over the last few weeks we have come to realise, that we are knackered were working too hard and to take on another property and renovation would be insanity.... BUT we desparetly need more space (my 3 year olds room is just 9 foot by 5 foot) so we thought why not get a new build just for the next 2-4 years till we have our business established and we have a bit more financial stability... it means we can concentrate 100% on business and careers... instead of worrying about our home and renovations etc.

So today I took the plunge and looke at some boring boxes.... and liked some of the houses but hated the aspect of most of them (a 5 bedroom detached but your garage has someone's apartment on top of it!!!! )...

Now however I have found a new estate that is totally different were all the houses are different colours and styles and are all unique-ish.. the build is 50% through 1 phase of 4 phases so building work will be going on for at least 2-3 years.

However I have a few questions do you get discount on new homes? could this be negotiated because you going to be living in what is a working building site for a good few years... what are part exchange valuations like from? skipping estate agent fees and a chain would save me alot of stress at the moment... what extras can you negogiate in?

how fast can I get them to move (they have a fair few top end house built but not sold).....

let me know your experiences

·
Registered
674 Posts
I can advise you on what I learnt from buying a new build two years ago (well 3 as it took a year to build it).

Firstly, depending on whether they have released the house you are looking at, or if there is another one to be released soon, you can get an indication of the price they are looking to achieve - this does not mean its the price they WILL get.

Unless you have your house sold they will not really talk about discounts until you have. Some of them do a pretty good deposit scheme which even though does have clauses etc gives you peace of mind. Remember, alot of builders charge for options that other builders would include as part of the deal.

In my instance, I brought off plan knowing I had a year to get my house sold. We paid the deposit but stated at the time I was not happy that they had just released this house (it was released because the original house plot I wanted had already gone) at an extra ?20k then the last one. Other then that, I knew I would get it back once my house was sold through. After the usual grief of selling houses (falling through, time wasters etc) we found a really nice buyer and right at this time, I was speaking to my estate agent and also Wimpey Homes regarding the cost of the new house - I basically said I wanted the ?20k off the asking price and I wanted the Stamp Duty paid for me. They didnt want to back down so I hit the ball into their court - if you cant do this for me we dont have a deal and I'll look elsewhere (much to the shock of the wife as I said it as she REALLY wanted this house, it was the best one we had seen designwise in 2 years of looking). Within 20 mins, Wimpey called back and the deal was done.

Im not saying this will be given to everyone, and speaking to the other residents on my estate I think I got a really good deal. But a good deal is a price that you are happy to pay!

There was a lot of stress involved, but no more I guess then the usual house move we have in England - The reason I say England is I know the laws in Scotland are so different and the way of buying/selling houses is (imo) better.

Good luck though!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Only advice I can offer is try & get a date off them in writing when the house WILL be ready.

I bought a new-build a few years ago with an "estimated" date when it would be ready. The date was put back 4 times in total - house ready almost 8 months after the original estimate. There was nothing could be done as they hadn't confirmed a date in writing - tho the neighbour DID get there's in writing & got almost ?5000 knocked off the price when they threatened NHBC involvement due to delays, etc.

Also, do a "snag-list" for EVERY defect, no matter how small! A main one is scrim-netting visible in the join between the walls & ceilings.

Plus, offer brews to any of the workmen who come to finish off jobs... you'll be surprised how much of a difference it makes to them doing a better job, & they're more likely to do the odd favour the extra work you might want doing. After a brew & bacon butty, the site manager on this build was really helpful, no job too much mither for him to do/sort out! Really useful when you're after a few extra flagstones for the back garden!!

As Curly says it is stressful, but be a bit "ballsy" with the sales-people & friendly with the grafters & you should get on ok.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I bought a new build David Wilson house 10yrs ago, still in it now too.

I got a 5% discount & the carpets thrown in, which helps when your a 1st time buyer, although the carpet quality was only average, it was good enough.

The quality of the build is great, nothing out of the usual stuff like settling in/drying cracks.

& as we are moving this year I'd love to get another new build, saves the hassles involved with older houses, but you have to go up a few notches to get anything with a set of decent sized rooms & garage now.

The size of most single garages is stupid, you couldn get a Corsa in most now, mines 19x 9'

My bro bought a new David Wilson place like this http://www.dwh.co.uk/plots/H130601534 18mth ago, he paid ?265k for it, just look at it now, ?50k more, he screwed them down on the price, it was originaly ?279k, & got nothing thrown in.

2p

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
We purchased off plan five years ago with Wimpey. They were really good and kept us informed about the build progress at all times, but I do think this depends on the actual person manning the sales office.

We weren't able to negotiate anything off the price, but after showing interest they did the usual 'if you sign this weekend we will throw in the dishwasher, and carpets.' As we were not having downstairs carpets, we were able to negotiate having the best carpets they did upstairs.

There was one negative point, they put in different tiles in the bathroom to the ones we had spec'd and then wanted money to remove and replace. So that took a few calls to head office threating to pull out if they didn't back down. This was eventually rectified.

The pluses were that it was great being able to specify the exact items you wanted in the house, the location of all sockets tv etc. They also left off all the downstairs skirting so that I could laminate most floors and put slate in the kitchen without having to rip the skirting off first or put beading down. Also being able to see it being built you knew what was going on and had a fair idea of the quality of the build.

We were one of the first five houses to move in, and being on a building site for six months was no bad thing. A bottle of scotch to the site manager, and we got to use all of their skips, were able to get a few extra bricks, slabs and stuff off them to help with landscaping the garden. And any snags they were there to help immediatley so by the end of six months we had a pretty sorted house.

But this was five years ago. We have moved this year and wanted another new build but couldn't find one we liked either. You are right about the aspect and the design of new houses is appalling, squeazing as much in over as many floors as possible on the smallest footprint. We looked at a five bed house and I would think the garden was, no joking, about 8 x 6m, their excuse.. people don't like gardens anymore. Not we are tight and want to make loads of money. In the end we went for another five year old house, and got the space we wanted.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I bought a Morris Homes house 4 years ago. Again, it was off plan. Didn't get a discount as such but it worked out that we paid about 10% less (long story!).

The bad points of living in an unfinished estate are the noise and mess. Your car will never be clean!! You've also got the unknown of who is going to be living next door. Expect building work early on Saturday mornings. Shrinkage and settling can be a bit of a pain.

The good points are 10 year NHBC warranty, having brand new kitchens and bathrooms of your choice! Also, you get to sort out the little things - where you want tv points, electrical points, telephone points etc. If the site is still being developed, stay matey with the site manager - if you need anything, they'll usually give it to you. A positive point about the site still being built is that you have tradespeople around in case anything goes wrong or needs sorting!

Go over the new house with a fine toothed comb and put it on your snag list so that your new house is as perfect as you want it to be.

On the whole, I'd do it again.

I'm not sure on the p/ex deals. My brother's neighbour did a p/ex and he was given market value (although it was the lowest valuation from several agents).

If they fit your criteria and within your budget, make a silly offer on the built ones - you've nothing to lose!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
We paid the deposit but stated at the time I was not happy that they had just released this house (it was released because the original house plot I wanted had already gone) at an extra ?20k then the last one. Other then that, I knew I would get it back once my house was sold through. After the usual grief of selling houses (falling through, time wasters etc) we found a really nice buyer and right at this time, I was speaking to my estate agent and also Wimpey Homes regarding the cost of the new house - I basically said I wanted the ?20k off the asking price and I wanted the Stamp Duty paid for me. They didnt want to back down so I hit the ball into their court - if you cant do this for me we dont have a deal and I'll look elsewhere (much to the shock of the wife as I said it as she REALLY wanted this house, it was the best one we had seen designwise in 2 years of looking). Within 20 mins, Wimpey called back and the deal was done.
Not nice when it's done back to you though mate. My parents had someone try to pull this one. He agreed to buying their house, got the process started, my parents found a house, everything was going smoothly, then he came back and said that he didn't want to pay the full price, thinking that my parents would reduce the price as the wouldn't want to lose their new house and had already paid out for searches etc. They refused to sell to him and sold it to someone else who wanted it. He then tried to gazump the new buyers!!

In my honest opinion, it's poor form to do this. When you pay a deposit, you're agreeing on a deal and shouldn't be threatening to back out without good reason.

·
Registered
162 Posts
my family has lived in 4 new build over the last 6 years and they are always the best way to go...

Stamp duty paid, warranty on everything including nails coming through the wall, plumbing. No squabbles for 2 years.

The paid the deposit on our too you just have to bargain hard.

Also we have made money off every one of them so what people say about them not gainaing value is not true.

Love living in fresh new houses!

·
Registered
495 Posts
When the missus and I were looking, we viewed several new builds in the North London, Herts and Middx area and I can honestly say that I didn't even feel the slightest twinge of desire. There is this identi-kit, nuclear family, stepford wives, perfect suburbia image which turns me right off. And the worse thing is that you are surrounded by people who are almost identical to you.

In the end we settled on a typical 70's 3 bedroom semi.... its far from perfect or tailored to meet 21st century living but it has character and history. Our next door neighbours have been there since new.. e.g. them and the rest of the street had a street party to celebrate the Wedding of Charles and Di. Its that sense of local history, residents of many different ages, well establised train, bus, school, amenities etc.. that made us turn our backs on new builds. I am not dissing those that live in them, each to their own but I personally cannot stand them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
We moved into a Persimmon home last February and have had nothing but trouble with them coming to fix faults. The quality of workmanship is abysmal and after 11 months we're still waiting for things to be rectified. Our snagging list is 3 pages long and about 20% has still to be done

Having spoken to many of my neighbours, they too feel the same. The site agent is living on borrowed time, and it's a matter of time before I go and stick one on his jaw. He is a cheeky b'stard and if he doesn't watch his mouth, he will end up with a lot of trouble on his hands.

Our solicitor has written to the MD several times but even he doesn't give a toss. We have written to Watchdog and are considering court action.

The problem is once they take your money, they are not interested. There should be a law stating that you can retain a certain percentage of the purchase price until all faults are fixed, but the big housebuilders will not entertain this. The problem is the trades they employ and the fact that they don't have a quality control inspector.

Part exchange schemes are a joke - they will offer you well below what your current house is worth. In our experience don't buy any extras from them. We found the carpets and flooring to be very poor quality, yet the prices were just stupid.

I bought and laid expensive oak wood flooring (?60 per m2) and it still came in less than the cheap and nasty laminate that they do. I also did a better job than what I've seen in some of the other properties.

Moral of the story. Persimmon may be the UK's biggest housebuilder, but they're far from the best.

We're now looking for a suitable building plot and are going to self build next time. I have mates in the trades who have agreed to work on the project. At least we know the quality will be much better.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When the missus and I were looking, we viewed several new builds in the North London, Herts and Middx area and I can honestly say that I didn't even feel the slightest twinge of desire. There is this identi-kit, nuclear family, stepford wives, perfect suburbia image which turns me right off. And the worse thing is that you are surrounded by people who are almost identical to you.

In the end we settled on a typical 70's 3 bedroom semi.... its far from perfect or tailored to meet 21st century living but it has character and history. Our next door neighbours have been there since new.. e.g. them and the rest of the street had a street party to celebrate the Wedding of Charles and Di. Its that sense of local history, residents of many different ages, well establised train, bus, school, amenities etc.. that made us turn our backs on new builds. I am not dissing those that live in them, each to their own but I personally cannot stand them.
See thats my attitude, but atm due to personal circumstances we havent got time to do it all again with a 30's to 70's semi or detached

(not only that prices in Liveropool really are astronomical 400k for an extended 30s semi detached, I went to see a derelict one last week in 2 days it has had 60 viewings and will be sold for 300kish and is derelict!!!!)

But we HAVE to move as we have no more space to live... I could extend but its dead money as I have hit the ceiling price of my road and adjjoining ones....

So I need the simplest and quickest route into a Bigger house.. short term IE 2-3 years and then we can move back into a period house renovation.

·
Registered
162 Posts

See thats my attitude, but atm due to personal circumstances we havent got time to do it all again with a 30's to 70's semi or detached

(not only that prices in Liveropool really are astronomical 400k for an extended 30s semi detached, I went to see a derelict one last week in 2 days it has had 60 viewings and will be sold for 300kish and is derelict!!!!)

But we HAVE to move as we have no more space to live... I could extend but its dead money as I have hit the ceiling price of my road and adjjoining ones....

So I need the simplest and quickest route into a Bigger house.. short term IE 2-3 years and then we can move back into a period house renovation.
If you think Liverpools bad you should see London prices, you are looking at ?250,000 for a studio flat and ?500,000 for a 2 bedroom detached in a decent area! [:O] No chance for first time buyers..........

·
Registered
674 Posts
We paid the deposit but stated at the time I was not happy that they had just released this house (it was released because the original house plot I wanted had already gone) at an extra ?20k then the last one. Other then that, I knew I would get it back once my house was sold through. After the usual grief of selling houses (falling through, time wasters etc) we found a really nice buyer and right at this time, I was speaking to my estate agent and also Wimpey Homes regarding the cost of the new house - I basically said I wanted the ?20k off the asking price and I wanted the Stamp Duty paid for me. They didnt want to back down so I hit the ball into their court - if you cant do this for me we dont have a deal and I'll look elsewhere (much to the shock of the wife as I said it as she REALLY wanted this house, it was the best one we had seen designwise in 2 years of looking). Within 20 mins, Wimpey called back and the deal was done.
Not nice when it's done back to you though mate. My parents had someone try to pull this one. He agreed to buying their house, got the process started, my parents found a house, everything was going smoothly, then he came back and said that he didn't want to pay the full price, thinking that my parents would reduce the price as the wouldn't want to lose their new house and had already paid out for searches etc. They refused to sell to him and sold it to someone else who wanted it. He then tried to gazump the new buyers!!

In my honest opinion, it's poor form to do this. When you pay a deposit, you're agreeing on a deal and shouldn't be threatening to back out without good reason.
I think you have miss-read or misunderstood me mate - I would not have done this to somebody if I was buying a non-new build house. I did it to Wimpey, who i had resevered the house 9 months (for a 6 month build time) before hand. They released my house 1 day after the one I actually went for was sold for ?20k less, no more then 200 yards up the road. I know house prices go up, but they dont go up ?20k in 2 days mate!

Many house builders will not talk discounts until you have sold your house - we were lucky as we sold ours and moved in with the in-laws - in a much stronger position to do a deal with the house builders.

I paid a RESERVATION fee for the house, not a non-cancelble deposit - I had 3 buyers pull out on me within 6 months so I know how it feels to have time wasters.

A house is only worth what somebody will pay for it new - dont you think the house builders know this? They knew I wanted the house (it was me that requested they released it so I could put a reservation on it) hence the reason they through they could extract more money from me...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

(not only that prices in Liveroool really are astronomical 400k for an extended 30s semi detached, I went to see a derelict one last week in 2 days it has had 60 viewings and will be sold for 300kish and is derelict!!!!)

If you think Liverpools bad you should see London prices, you are looking at ?250,000 for a studio flat and ?500,000 for a 2 bedroom detached in a decent area! [:O] No chance for first time buyers..........
Yes but there is the salary difference to take into consideration, even coppers and paramedics are on 5k more in London... Liverpool is still compariteviley low paid, but yet the house prices are much more in kilter with more affluent areas in the south...... I would probably be earning more like twice my salary in London going on whats available..

Dont get me wrong you can get 3 bed semis for 200k and even 2 bed new ones for 125k BUT its all about area as you say ... My own house has risen by 3 fold in 4 years and they are selling, our 2 bed ex council flat has risen by 6 fold in 5 years .... thats 600%.....

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
[

I think you have miss-read or misunderstood me mate -
I think you're right!! Although, in my defence, you did say that it was a "deposit" that you paid. [:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
We moved into a Persimmon home last February and have had nothing but trouble with them coming to fix faults. The quality of workmanship is abysmal and after 11 months we're still waiting for things to be rectified. Our snagging list is 3 pages long and about 20% has still to be done

Moral of the story. Persimmon may be the UK's biggest housebuilder, but they're far from the best.
I saw a program, might even have been watchdog about Persimmon homes & some houses they had built on an old RIVER BED!

I really felt for the home owners, their homes were fooked & these guys wouldnt do anything to help.....

It 110% put me off ever buying one of their houses thats for sure.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You get problems with all new houses, no matter who builds them.

I have friends around my area who have brought from all different builders and all of them had one problem or another.

I expected the problems, thats not what upset me - it was how quickly and professional the faults were fixed and with Wimpey South I can tell you they were terrible! I met up wiht an area manager after a whole host of problems (how about paint on brand new fitted blinds, pasterboard dust on the brand new delivered leather sofa's, mud on the carpet just for starters) who then turned up with two "assistant managers" who I guessed where there for his protection. He gave me all the "yes sir no sir" rubbish and I told him I'd heard it all before and that letters had already been sent.

Basically, its taken Wimpey 2 years to put faults that were originally listed on my first snag list, right.

Id never recommend a Wimpey home to any of my friends, but on the flip side, I love my house, I love the design and the layout and the developement. Just a shame Wimpey dont know customer service, and more to teh point use the cheapest builders they can find for profit reasons and not build quality!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I saw a program, might even have been watchdog about Persimmon homes & some houses they had built on an old RIVER BED!

I really felt for the home owners, their homes were fooked & these guys wouldnt do anything to help.....

It 110% put me off ever buying one of their houses thats for sure.
I remember seeing that too! Our whole estate is built on top of old mine workings! Might not wake up one morning[:S]

It's the last Persimmon house we'll be buying, that's for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts