Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol~ just wondering who is driving a MKIV V5 here cuz i brought a used one and i will pick it up on wed morning[:D], also pix will upload soon[:)]

um...also wanna know is do you guys have any problem with the V5? or it smooth like hell?[}:)]

thx for advice~

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
There is quite a few V5 members on here mate, rfsteel and mattyv5 are two that spring to mind, sure they or the other vee-fiver's will be along shortly to help you out....! [:D]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
and me Beddie :p

Ive been very happy with it Kevin, no problems as such *touch wood* and its been about 8 months or so since Ive had it. Its a very smooth motor and the engine note is amazing - never get bored of it !

Only down side is, theres not much tuning that can be done to a V5 ... Im sure the other guys (rfsteel and mattyv5)can go into detail about that.

Youve made a good choice. If you dont mind me asking, what year model and how much did you pay ? Looking forward to the pics !

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good choice Kelvin, I bet you can't wait to collect it. You will absolutely love the engine. I drove to some friends this weekend and had lots of decent roads, good corners and great overtaking. It's a peach and sounds fabulous between 3-4000rpm. I've had mine nearly a year with two snags: water pump, belt and tensioner replaced (under warranty-phew) and on one occasion the clutch pedal dropped to floor on an extremely cold morning (not happened since). Other than that - it is 'smooth like hell'

What did you go for? 150 or 170hp? 2 or 4 door? Colour etc etc?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 99 4 door sliver Golf MKIV V5 2.3 ( i think is 150hp right?) with 17" OZ rims, aftermarket Xenon light, Bilstein supspension, carbon fiber interior, 22,xxxkm on the clock um...i will post more pic after i got my car on wed afternoon... i'm so happy with it~ i test drove it and i felt it was tough, strong for a almost 4-5 years car~ :) i think i will keep this car untill it dies... and also i checked out the Golf MKV and i just dunno why i still like the MKIV more... may be i'm jsut OLD SKOOL lol~~

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Welcome Kelvin, and congratulations on your purchase.

The only known problems, specific to the V5 that I have heard off and suffered since being a member on here is the Lambda probes on the exhaust failing. Mine decide to keep throwing a fault code just after the 40K service, they were replaced twice after this time, and since the second lot have been fitted the fault hasn't re-occured.

·
Registered
911 Posts
good choice mate ! Cooling fans are a known problem. Turn on the ignotion and the air con. if the radiator fans pulse in short fast bursts then they will prob need replacing. If they stay at a constant speed then your ok.

those have packed up on mine, aswell as coolant sensor and coil pack. bt the last 2 are more 'Golf' problems rather than just V5's.

Remember, when modding a golf...less is more and OEM is the way forward.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx for all your replys MattyV5, rfsteel, norwichV5, nudda, beddie um..so what i reaaly need to check before i pick up my sweet ride? is it jsut check the radiator fans? i also checked the body it smooth as hell i think i got a good deal on it~ lol~ i can't wait to pick up that sweet ride and i'm always dreaming about it...all night~ um...may i ask one more question?? lol~ hope u dun mind~~ if i buy a 3 buttons remote from e-bay (with trunk release button) will the middle button work on my car? or i need to install the whole alarm system? cuz as i know i will receive a 2 buttons remote... ^-^ thx guys~

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had my V5 for about 3 months now, and I think it's a really nice motor. I used to have a 6-cyl BMW beforehand which was ultra super smooth but the golf comes a very close second.

The only problem I've had so far is a failed coil pack, but as MattyV5 says, this is more of a VAG issue than V5.

I got the V5 over the 1.8T because I thought the engine so much much smoother. Fair enough it can't be modded as easily, but the insurance company won't let me do that anyway. I figured i'd either go for cosmetic stuff or save the cash for the R32 :)

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
You say you are in Toronto but they didn't sell the 2.3 V5 in Canada so I am confused as to how you've got one... Its KM which is correct so I am guessing an import of some kind? Sure its not a 12 174BHP VR6?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey Mikedav, i'm living in Hong Kong now and i have a 2002 E46 325i in canada so the V5 it's not import or something lol~ sorry to make you guessing~ lol~~ anyways i will pick up my ride tomorrow i think i can't sleep tonight alought that is a used car... will post pics tmr also~

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
um..also just wondering what is coil pack? and what's wrong with it? lol~ cuz i'm new to VW can somebody plz tell what what that is?? thank you ver much!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also recently bought a V5, its the 170, the engine sound is awesome. Test drove a 1.8t 180bhp too, but the engine sound is far nicer in the V5.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts