Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a standard one today and wondered how different a Works/Hartge etc one would be??

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have only driven the Mini One. I would love to drive a Works Cooper as the One is crying out for more power and the chassis is excellent.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I am getting a standard one in Jan/Feb. That was quick enough on the test drive, however I am sure the extra BHP goes down very well. I think they are at 210bhp now? or the extra 10bhp is a small optional extra on the kit...

If I do want the works kit am a lucky enough to get it at cost price as I have a friend that works at a local BMW garage, I think it will be something I will do after a year of ownership to "renew" that excitement and fun factor ;-)

How did you get on with the test drive? You thinking of buying one?

You need the chilli pack and CD player at least!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I drove today was very high spec - sat nav, chili, visability, leather - 53 plate for ?17.5k from a Mini dealer

When I first sat in it I wasnt convinced - felt weird to be honest

But once I got going I loved it - it feels just right in every area - loved the whining noise [:X]

At the moment I have a VX220 and a S reg Fiesta 1.2 for winter - there are voices in my head I could have 80% of the fun of a VX all year round instead of just March - October................

But if I did get one I would want the extra power - and second hand the premium seems to be ?2k instead of ?4k so it would make sense

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Have driven the Hartge one - Birds had a demonstrator a while back, which also had reworked suspension, 4-pot brakes etc and their own

M3-style exhaust. A great car, major improvement on an already good car.

Junking the run-flat tyres for Pirelli P-Zeros also improved the ride and handling a lot.

Have a word with Matt O'Donnell the MD of Birds and I'm sure he'll get you a drive. www.birdsauto.com 01895 810850.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[:I]

I love my VX220 to bits..........

.......but I can only enjoy it March-October. So all winter I will be driving a 1.2 Fiesta - I thought I would be okay with it but its depressing to be honest [:(] Also now we also have the Z4 the convertible element to owning the VX is irrelevant now.

So the decision is;

210bhp Mini all year round, or

VX220 March-October & 1.2 Fiesta November-February

Not sure what to do really [:(]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by Bernie on 13/12/2004 19:13:12

Really Mob, you should have kept your Fabia as it is faster around a track than a Mini Cooper

Quicker than a Cooper, but not a Cooper S

Until you Revo it [}:)][}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by Dangerousbrother on 15/12/2004 11:31:52

I went up against a cooper S the other day, off the lights - he was done, through the corners no competition!

S3 has more power for sure but do you think you are faster through the bends?

Cooper S is actually the fastest car ever tested in the US mag Road & Track's slalom test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 15/12/2004 11:59:16

Quote: posted by Dangerousbrother on 15/12/2004 11:31:52

I went up against a cooper S the other day, off the lights - he was done, through the corners no competition!

S3 has more power for sure but do you think you are faster through the bends?

Cooper S is actually the fastest car ever tested in the US mag Road & Track's slalom test.

I was on a slightly wet road!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts