Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the Rockies in a couple of months time for two weeks and have booked hotels in the following places.

Vancouver - Whistler - Kamloops - Jasper - Lake Louise - Banff - Calgary

May add another hotel in between Kamloops and Jasper as it's about 280 miles.

I've got various places I want/need to go to, hence the route, I'm just after suggestions on places that are a "Must see" to add to my list from people that have been previously.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
we went to vancouver for honeymoon

we stayed on vancouver island, then the second week did vancouver and then whistler, quite a bit of driving,

vancouver island is nice, esp if you seaplane across haha, there is the aquaruim in vancouver, and theres also a massive museum on the island with a imaxx cinema in it, good eating etc real nice place

·
Registered
473 Posts
Toured the rockies in a camper van a couple of years ago, great country. We flew to Calgary, stayed just outside Banff then drove up through Lake louise, Jasper and on to Edmonton. Dumped the camper in Edmonton flew back to Calgary then back home from there.

There's so much to see, Athabasca Glacier is worth a visit in the rockies, Lake Louise too.Theres also loads of hot springs complexes in Banff, jasper etc, maybe 5 or 6 outdoor pools with different temperatures, some scalding hot some baltic from the natural springs, worth visitng for a relaxing day. Edmontons well worth the Trek if you can, North America's largest shopping mall, 5th largest in the world. Never seen anything like it before, massive indoor water park with tremendous slides, indoor fair ground, Immax 3d cinema, aquariam, hundreds of shops, restaurants and the best hotel I've ever stayed in and loads of other things to see. The fantasy land hotel has themed rooms, roman, polynesian etc. We had a artic type room with an igloo for a bed!!

http://www.fantasylandhotel.com/home/wemindex.asp

Its a great country with fantastic people who will do anything to help you, loved it and will go back some day.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you are doing it in that order then miss out Kamloops, there is nothing there except a convenient place to stay en route to somewhere else. Consider heading straight for Jasper and stopping off at Wells gray Nat. Park, stunning place and quieter than many other well known places (we saw bears there last time) If you are hitting Jasper at weekend make sure you have a hotel booked. Also worth seeing is the icefield parkway between Jasper and Banff

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm in the Rockies in a couple of months time for two weeks and have booked hotels in the following places.

Vancouver - Whistler - Kamloops - Jasper - Lake Louise - Banff - Calgary

May add another hotel in between Kamloops and Jasper as it's about 280 miles.

I've got various places I want/need to go to, hence the route, I'm just after suggestions on places that are a "Must see" to add to my list from people that have been previously.
We are this year also doing the Vancouver to Calgary drive along the Trans Canadian. Vancouver, Whistler, Salmon Arm, Banff and staying with friends in Calgary. We have done Alberta and parts of BC a couple of times now and love it!

Some of my photos on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/degudodger/sets/72157606718245063/

·
Spanish Imposter
1,357 Posts
People pretty much covered it. Banff - Be Aware Nothing For Free.

The athabasca glacier really is something else. If you can get to Niagra Falls then do that. We walked across to America for a few hours to see them from both sides. Id love to go back when I have my own kids.

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips, shall check all these places out and see what I can fit in en-route.

Maccblade - Kamloops is purely a stopover so we can just amble between the destinations, that and I am downhill mountain biking in Whistler the day before so will probably not feel like driving too far.

degudodger - Photos look great.

Bert-NW - Tell me about it, I've booked two nights at the Fairmont in Banff!!

RichWig - Looks like you did a pretty similar route, that said there isn't a vast amount of roads to choose from in that area of the world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts