Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
My missus is; she failed both (Paper 1 and Paper 8 she sat this time)! [:(]

Her heart's not in it, so she's thinking of a career change (currently works in Investments at Co-op / CIS in Manchester).

Yourself? Good news? Pass one / both / all...?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didnt know when I first posted this but since then found out I've failed them both !!!

Like your missus my heart isn't in it anymore and that's one fail too many.[:(]

I've got 3 passes at managerial level to my name but I cant keep doing this to myself and the missus.

I'm also going to start looking for a career change !! Hopefully being a part qual accountant might help [:|]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gutted for you; I know how much work it takes to get through CIMA and how much strain it puts on you and your family! [:(]

My missus has been at it for a couple of years, but keeps passing one, failing one, passing one, failing one and so on. This is the second time she's failed Paper 1. She needs the full qualification for her job, and she found AAT easy but CIMA is really hard unless you've got the head for it and / or are really interested in it. I keep telling her to get another job rather than put herself through something that she's not 100% set on; you're only here once and life's too short to spend 5 years getting qualified for something you don't really want to do. There's plenty of other careers out there...

On the same note, a mate of mine passed CIMA about 5 years ago, and he's down in London on BIIIG money (6 figures plus regular 5 figure bonuses!) but he's a bit of a whizz-kid at accounts. Personally, I think you need that kind of brain to really exceed at it...

Footnote: I consider myself extremely lucky as I got into IT by accident 10-15 years ago, love my job to bits and it pays well enough for me. I accept not everyone is as lucky as I consider myself to be...!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds familiar to me mate, pass one fail one etc.

You do sound lucky with your career, I was in IT about 9 years ago working for my auntie and was very happy and had full support of my auntie's partner etc. My parents however didnt like the idea of me working for my auntie (and neither did her other partner who wanted her son to work for them) and so an accountancy oportunity came up which I took. I did AAT, like your missus, and it was a piece of pi$$. I did no work for it really and so CIMA was a real shock when I started it.

On a plus note though, failing these two has not set me back 6 months because I needed to do one resit in May anyway, so I guess I will just have to do 3 now and hope I pass all of them so I can sit my finals in November (if I stick at it that is).

I deffo know what you mean about how it rules your entire life and it seems you're in the same position as my missus. She's pretty gutted too now and is saying things about life's too short etc.

I want to get married and have kids once I'm qualified so these results have been a bit of a spanner in the works, but as mentioned above I might not be behind as much as first thought.

The good thing is I've chatted with my boss and he's really supportive, telling me I'm good at my job etc and just to keep on trying. The fact that my colleague passed 4 doesn't help though.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Failed mine again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Got 1 strategy paper and TOPCIMA to go.

But this bloody P3 Risk and Control is peeing me off!

And gonna be made redundant soon (only job since uni - 7 yrs)

Tis not a good week.

But I've already booked myself onto a revision course with a different training school (BPP is not working for me anymore so time for a change)

To those who failed...keep going. You'll be glad you did once u get it all out of the way and start earning the big bucks.

I found it a major jump from Uni studying and took me a while to realise u need a lot more dedication with CIMA. Full time job don't help but hopefully your job provides the experience that helps u understand the subjects with the CIMA syllabus better.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unlucky too mate ....thing I worry about is if I'm failing managerial what's final going to be like??

I've started to wonder about BPP too..thinking of going to FTC.

Which college do you go to Chungster? I go BPP Manchester

·
Registered
437 Posts
Comiserations - I know how it feels to get the failed email.

I failed P6 and P9 some time back, when they were under the old syllabus.

I've got credits for P3 and topcima. Managed to pass P6 this time so just P9 to go in May.

The only thing I can say is the strategy papers are more about answering the question as opposed knowledge - especially P3.

Sorry if this comes across as trying to teach granny to suck eggs but this article is the most crucial I've ever seen . . http://www.cimaglobal.com/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-0AAAC544-D2AE9976/live/verbs_article_may05.pdf

I spent the best part of a day going over past papers using this and things clicked.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ant Blain - missis work at the head office miller street then?

I work for CIS but in the field as an FA, im currently studying for Cemap and a few others and trying to study and do a full time job is hard going to say the least. I just think of the bigger picture and the money i can earn when fully qualified.

Stick with it have faith and it will come in time

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Unlucky too mate ....thing I worry about is if I'm failing managerial what's final going to be like??

I've started to wonder about BPP too..thinking of going to FTC.

Which college do you go to Chungster? I go BPP Manchester
I've used BPP Luton since I started. It's gotten me to the final stage but I'm now struggling with P3.

Gonna try Acorn Professional Tutors now to see if they can get me through it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Comiserations - I know how it feels to get the failed email.

I failed P6 and P9 some time back, when they were under the old syllabus.

I've got credits for P3 and topcima. Managed to pass P6 this time so just P9 to go in May.

The only thing I can say is the strategy papers are more about answering the question as opposed knowledge - especially P3.

Sorry if this comes across as trying to teach granny to suck eggs but this article is the most crucial I've ever seen . . http://www.cimaglobal.com/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-0AAAC544-D2AE9976/live/verbs_article_may05.pdf

I spent the best part of a day going over past papers using this and things clicked.
Thanks for the linky mate. Just read the article and never thought of breaking down the questions that way!

Will have a go with some pass papers.

Good luck with P9 - FS is nasty! Soo glad I passed that last time.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I got my ACCA in 2000 so know how difficult these exams are [:^)]

All I can say is stick at it and that the rewards are great when you qualify [Y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
That sounds familiar to me mate, pass one fail one etc.

You do sound lucky with your career, I was in IT about 9 years ago working for my auntie and was very happy and had full support of my auntie's partner etc. My parents however didnt like the idea of me working for my auntie (and neither did her other partner who wanted her son to work for them)
Off topic but relevent to see ho the IT side is definetly not greener

Your probably lucky getting out of IT, I too fell into it 10 years ago, but I got out 2 years ago, people are so undervalued, and there is a massive blame culture... and qualifications have become a joke, MCSE's (as an example qaulification) where once de-riguer now they are demanded by HR but derided by most IT departments as so many have gotton Computeach buy a qualification as are most IT degrees as they are so outdated that they are almost irrelevant...

Where that leaves most people like me , is highly experienced, not qualified upto date as product exams change too quickly, getting stuck at plataue with rent a qualification muppets getting higher up jobs, but being useless, and genuinely good IT kids getting offered post-grad salarys of ?12k

So we end up with IT departments of ex-taxi drivers who have qualifications to get past HR departments, experience worth millions dumped because of stupid qualification timeouts.... and the brightest Graduates dumping IT as the salary's are a pathetic joke....

I now earn twice as much in property management and building maintenance.... and am much much happier. I keep my IT skills upto datish, and it will be a good cushion if times got hard but I do not miss it at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ant Blain - missis work at the head office miller street then?
My mistake; she's actually back at the co-op again now! She's had three or four jobs at the co-op (retail, pensions, accounts, investments) and one at the CIS over the years.

Can't remember the name of the building she's in (might be Old Bank or Dantzic) but it's in the main group of buildings, over the road from CIS.

·
Registered
741 Posts
All sounds a wee bit painful. I take it I'm slightly insane to be considering CIMA alongside ACCA and should just do one at a time then? Trouble is, I'm getting on a bit now.

And to the people who've had tough exam results, keep your chin up and keep trying. Little of worth comes easy in this life. You can do it!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers for the positive wishes mate.

I'd say doing both would be hard but if you stagger the exam sittings or do one of each every 6 months I reckon you could do it.

I've been seriously thinking of changing careers although I think a change of job in the accountancy trade should sort my head out.

I fear I may be losing scope of the financial side of things as my current role is commercial and similar to a business analyst in the way it focuses on performance measurement and analysis. I've lost interest and think a new, more financial role would help me with my exams.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I've booked in for my resit, I'm doing one at a time this time so to ensure I pass. However...I am soooo bored in my job...and my role is meant to be more of a 'sexy' role because it's less number crunching and more commercial but I am doing the same thing day in day out cos I've so much to do and no time to be more creative !!

The thought of redoing more revision and exams for CIMA really really depresses me !!

Anyway, I've actually got a job interview for the position of Mortgage Consultant for a well known estate agency !!

I know I'd still have to do exams but they can't be much harder than CIMA and the course is shorter.

Anyone on here a Mortgage Consultant and can give any tips for my interview? or tell me whether they enjoy their jobs and also are they happy with their salary and prospects.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I've got my Paper 8 (Financial Analysis) resit this aftenoon at 13:40.

I'm cacking it, just hope the examiner and marker is kinder this time.

I feel like I've covered more in my studies this time though !!

Wish me luck !!

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yup good luck mate.

I've been revising all month (well kinda) as been out of work since end of April.

Wanted to take some time off anyway.

Got interviews tomorrow and friday tho.

Exam on Thursday....can't wait to get thru it then look forward to GTI International!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts