Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my car for 3 years now, and been buying normal unleaded petrol, is there any benefit using Optimax or similar on a standard car?

At the moment im getting 400 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
sounds like you're getting good mpg and as standard the car is mapped to run on normal unleaded so i doubt you'll see the benefit, I run mine on super only just because I believe the marketing hype and want the best for mine as i've tuned it

·
Registered
602 Posts
Im now on my 2nd tank of 99ron fuel after months of using normal unleaded, the main reason i changed is that the tesco superstore near work sells it for the same price as my usual garage sells normal unleaded. On the first tank i got about 30miles more out of the tank. But i noramlly only got 260 miles to a 50 ltr tank and this popped up to 290mpg which i think is still poor.

One of the reasons for selling my fto and getting the gti was lower fuel consumption but its about the same if not worse.

Oh well it makes me smile more.

Im gonna give the optimax a couple more tanks worth to see what the difference is, seems smoother accelerating but could be in my mind. [;)]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I run Optimax in mine and i can definately notice the difference.Car
feels more responsive and torquier.This is what i realised when i had
to fill up with normal unleaded the other month when we had the fuel
panic buying and there was no Optimax local to me.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have to confess that when I ran it in mine I didn't notice the difference, although I wasn't really trying it out. I had to use it as the other pumps were out of order at the time.

I should give it another go really.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yes try it again.You need to run at least 2 tanks of it to notice the
benefits.Car should feel smoother, pull better and give better fuel
mileage.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Even if you decide to stick with cheaper petrol it is recommended you fill up with a good brand every couple of months just to clear out any rubbish.

·
Registered
730 Posts
When i first started using optimax on my 99 golf a couple of years ago, i did notice it was a bit perkier, but no difference in smoothness,

Now i have changed to BP ultimate and have noticed my engine is a bit smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I like using premium fuel on my tdi and our little 1.6 Auto, makes the car much more responsive and smoother power delivery. I'm going to prob use tesco 99 ron though if its as cheap as people here are saying (already reading about it on other forums too)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I us nothing else but Tesco 99ron. As cheap as BP/Shells unleaded and seems to agree with the remap
I use Tesco's 99 fuel and I think it is great (I have been advised that Tesco fuel, is from Esso)

·
Registered
432 Posts
the local esso changed to a tesco express a few years ago.  i've seen similar elsewhere, so i believe it is esso fuel.  do esso have a 99 ron fuel??

·
Registered
207 Posts
the local esso changed to a tesco express a few
years ago. i've seen similar elsewhere, so i believe it is esso
fuel. do esso have a 99 ron fuel??
Nope, they do a 97 ron though...

·
Registered
195 Posts
hopefully not a stupid question, but could running on Optimax cause damage to the engine with it being higher octane, IF the car isnt mapped to it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Im pretty sure it doesn't harm the engine since its better quality fuel? Ive tried it in my 1.8 and noticed a bit of a difference so far!

Andy

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think the benefit of Optimax varies between individual cars; I tried it for @500 miles on my AGU 1.8T @2 years ago and it made no difference at all to economy/performance. But on a different car altogether(2001 BMW 325i) the fuel economy improved by 2-3mpg. 

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think the benefit of Optimax varies between individual cars; I tried it for @500 miles on my AGU 1.8T @2 years ago and it made no difference at all to economy/performance. But on a different car altogether(2001 BMW 325i) the fuel economy improved by 2-3mpg.
i used to always use Optimax in my previous car (BMW 328i, E36 Convertible), and it did seem to last longer than Unleaded.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts