Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boot handle has bubbled around the edges on the boot but around the seperate handle on the lid. Some guys on here told me i might be able to get it done on an anti corrosion paint warrenty.

Anybody know much about it or got there paint rectified at the dealer ?

Its out of the warrenty as it's a 2001 car but hoping it maight be covered under a paint warrenty !!!

Get in touch

Thanks ASH

·
Registered
712 Posts
They'll do anything they can to wriggle out of it...

You either get:

a) Incorrect Washing

b) Lack of washing

c) Finger nails scratching it...

or, probably most bizarrely, but these are stealers remember

d) stone chips!! [:O]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but the thing is the rest of the car is fine, dont get me wrong stone chips here and there but the boot handle around the edges is bubbling so its noticable that its an individual spot on the car !!.

Is there a paint warrenty on the golf ?

Thanks

ASH

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any tips on what to say to the dealers ? or should i say what not to say ?

By the sounds of things the VW dealers aren't the best ?

I never actually experienced them as i bought this golf priavtely, does it matter which dealer i go to as i bought the car 50 miles away from where i live ?

thanks

ASH

·
Registered
646 Posts
doesn't matter who you go to. Tell them that it has failed under warranty and wait and see what the assessor says.

You may need to fight them to do it, as I have heard some peeps on here with similar claims being passed off as poor washing and other such nonsense, but good luck anyway. If you have 2 dealers in the area try both...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Don't take it to a dealer, as they won't know what their looking at, you need to find a VW approved bodyshop to access the problem areas, they will then submit a warranty claim to VWUK for approval, if approved then car can be booked in for the work.

I find the bodyshop much more receptive to your problems comapared to the delears.

I have a small bubble in the middle of my boot panel, they have looked at it and said they could just flatten it using polish, though I think they will find bare metal when flattening.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wife has the very same thing on her 2000 model 18t....[}:)]

It's quite noticeable around the boot handle but if you look along the inner lower seam with the tailgate open then it is a good bit worse.

I plan to get them to look at it on Saturday morning all going well....

Fingers crossed [:I]

·
Registered
120 Posts
I tried last month, the excuse... Its not a paint fault its a mechanical fault. I argued the case that the mechanism was fine but it was the paint that bubbled but got no where. They said it was a mechanical fault because the handles made of alluminiun and the boot lid is made of steel so it corrodes because of some electric pulse from the cenral locking unit. BULL ****!

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Hi there - I have just joined this site and its wicked - but the stealerships are w****rs. Im in the middle of a complaint with VW with this same issue, I have some info which maybe of use. I went to the dealerships and told them I noticed some bubbling on the rear handle on the boot - I could just about see it but only noticed it properly when washing and waxing the car. ( i also noticed a small area where the lacquer is coming off on the rear wing of the car aswell but this was after I had been to see them - Im dissapointed with this as it took me a whole year saving up for this motor [:(]) I took the car to VW and the paint guy there came out and checked it out - he said that this was a common problem on the 98 - 2000 models as the handles VW had used, were having a reaction with the metallic paint. He then says to me that my model which is a 2001 would not have been fitted with this handle so that is not the case. I said to him how can he prove it is not the same handle. I mean VW and other companies order millions of these handles and if they had a few thousand which were dodgy knowing VW they would have still fitted the buggers. Anyways we went back into the showroom and he rang customer services - 20mins later he comes back and says its not covered under warranty as my car is an import - mmmmh surely all golfs regardless of import or not are sprayed the same and have the same warranty - maybe not, they must use a different spraying technique abroad which invalidates the warranty - soz for the sarcasm but they are a bunch of (To 55 ers) . Anyways I then came home and thought im not letting this rest so wrote a letter of complaint - I got a response about 4 weeks later and have had to supply my v5 document and the data sticker (from the service book) and am now waiting for a response. I think I will take this further is they dont do nothing about it. My old man has a GT TDI 130 which is a year old and my old lady has a polo 2001 so Im now regulary inspecting them as they are still under the 3yr warranty - even if someting happens they will still try to get out of it. I let you know how I get on. ( I think my story was a bit long winded) nevermind.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been put off by going to the stealers about the boot handle as other people have said they won't do it. But after what your story, im tempted My golf is also a 2001 but not imported so on that reckoning mine should be covered !! ??? Not sure how i'd go about going to the stealers seems a little daunting. Keep us posted how you get along !!!

Cheers

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Ash, it worth taking it in to the stealers as you never know they might sort it for you - (probably try to get out of it but like I said give it a go mate - they can only say no) I let you know how I get on but if they fail to resolve my issue im gona take it to watchdog and see what they can do. Im on a mission. Laters

·
Registered
27 Posts
If paint is blistering on any part of the car within 3 years then it?s a glorified leg pull for any dealer to state that?s its exempt from the warranty because its either been washed, or whatever. I?m sure the wording of the warranty covers instances of gross abuse being exempt, but beyond that a paint fault is a paint fault, and it is NOT the owners responsibility that the wrong materials might have been used, or that poor workmanship was to blame.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts