Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the standard 288mm breaks at the moment. Has anyone done the 312mm conversion? Does it make any difference considering all I am doing is using bigger discs with standard callipers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry everyone, just realised I have posted this in the wrong forum but still appreciate your comments

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I've just bought the 312mm conversion thanks to advice from this forum. Have not got round to fitting it yet but i hear the stopping power is great. If you.ve had the car remap and running over 200bhp then it really is a must.

Expensive though unless you can get second hand parts [:(!]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
There is a big big difference even still using OEM discs and pads..... you wouldnt think so by just increasing the disc by 24mm, but trust me, im not the only one to notice a massive improvement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the 312mm tt front discs and pads on mine and it makes the brakes a lot better. just need caliper carrier of a tt . try a scrap yardand then some discs and pads.

got mine foc as brembo didnt have any and was on holiday for the summer as they shut there factory down. going there on a free trip soon to c them make the discs. may get some big bad boys (6 pot) would b nice

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by smithjoe on 21/03/2005 22:16:05

Im thinking of doing this, what do i need to get then in regards to parts.

All you need is the audi TT or golf anniversary carriers and a pair of 312mm discs. Your callipers and pads will be used in the conversion.

A pair or Brembo discs are around ?100 from GSF, carriers are axpensive though. Try salvage yards or Ebay. If you want new ons talk to Shaq on the forum as he recently ran a group buy

·
Registered
942 Posts
Quote: posted by zekegti on 21/03/2005 22:50:21

Quote: posted by smithjoe on 21/03/2005 22:16:05

Im thinking of doing this, what do i need to get then in regards to parts.

All you need is the audi TT or golf anniversary carriers and a pair of 312mm discs. Your callipers and pads will be used in the conversion.

A pair or Brembo discs are around ?100 from GSF, carriers are axpensive though. Try salvage yards or Ebay. If you want new ons talk to Shaq on the forum as he recently ran a group buy

So just to get this right, all i need extra is TT Calliper carriers and the 312mm discs. My calipers and pads will be fine to use with the new dics.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Also note that last months issue of VW driver had the full step-by step conversion of both front and back brakes. Might be worth looking for a back ish

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have a set available in classifieds if anyone is interested!

Full set of delivery mileage TT 312mm Calipers, Carriers, Discs and Pads! Ideal for the conversion and also they will look new and shiny too!!!! [:D]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
its a great wortwhile mod to do. Ive done it using zimmerman drilled discs and pagid FR pads. If youve got 288mm discs as standard then all you need is TT carriers (and other marques that use 312mm discs) and new discs (312mm of course)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Quote: posted by zekegti on 21/03/2005 23:41:13

Also note that last months issue of VW driver had the full step-by step conversion of both front and back brakes. Might be worth looking for a back ish

Wish i could get hold of a copy, ive never seen it in any shops around here in my life.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by aro on 21/03/2005 21:08:53

I have the standard 288mm breaks at the moment. Has anyone done the 312mm conversion? Does it make any difference considering all I am doing is using bigger discs with standard callipers?

Just out of interest what size alloys have you got?

I think you need 16s or larger for this conversion

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by Deadlock on 22/03/2005 09:25:34

I probably know the answer to this, but just to confirm, what size are the disks on the 4 mo? is it 312mm?

V6 and anni both come with 312mm brakes from the factory [^]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by zekegti on 22/03/2005 09:35:42

I probably know the answer to this, but just to confirm, what size are the disks on the 4 mo? is it 312mm?

I stand confirmed[:D]to upgrade to? but I might go with Badger bills offerings.

Next q? is what

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by Deadlock on 22/03/2005 09:42:44

Quote: posted by zekegti on 22/03/2005 09:35:42

I stand confirmed[:D]to upgrade to? but I might go with Badger bills offerings.

Next q? is what

Which is?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 22/03/2005 08:47:11

its a great wortwhile mod to do. Ive done it using zimmerman drilled discs and pagid FR pads. If youve got 288mm discs as standard then all you need is TT carriers (and other marques that use 312mm discs) and new discs (312mm of course)

Mike: Your zimmermann discs, is the hole pattern the wrong way round on one side? i.e. the pattern is identical on both discs instead of mirrored?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts