Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Right I have a 2005 Trek 3900 hardtail with the alpaha luminium frame same as this

Posted Image

Clicky

Now I know I could get another bike for ?500-?700 pounds but to be honest the wife would kill for spending more money on another hobby... so I want to upgrade it bit by bit, now I know the frame is an excelent base as trek use the alpha frame right through the range... so I wouldnt be wasting cash on a bad basis.

I am sick of my v-brakes getting mud blocked and the derrailuers are nowhere near as quick or smooth as my mates Scott and the front shocks just cant cope with my 14 stone frame

My thoughts are to upgrade as parts in order as follows

• Pedals
  • Derrailuers
  • Wheels and hubs
  • Front disc brake
  • Front fork
  • Rear disc brake
  • Shifters
  • Headset and handle bars

DO you think I could do this? and if so would ebay be a good start and what parts would you add (bear in mind I am on a budget so ?500 for wheels is a no no)

Ebay links and cheap part offers would be good...

·
Registered
272 Posts
To be honest I'd upgrade the front fork and maybe your wheels....I tend to just put up with stuff til I break it which is happening more regularly now [:p] Regarding your shifting, just make sure everything is nice and lubed up. If you buy disc brakes, don't get cable ones, they're a waste of time. A lot of bike shops are doing good deals on kit at the moment so it's worth having a good look around for parts,

I'm sort of in the same boat, I have 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo which is getting a bit dated now...its a case of shall I get a new bike or upgrade the bits on this frame.....oooh its all money!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
first off, does the frame have a rear disc mount! probably does, if not u can buy kits, but i cant imagine they are great!

Pedal, i have DMR V8's which are classic flat pedals with studs, great grip and quality for ?25, really popular. mind u, watch your shins! owe!

for budget, shimano stuff is great imo, really good value and decent stuff! deore is basic but not bad, LX better, stronger, as is XT. i just never use my bike cos i'm lazy, doh

i have fully XT setup which i'm really happy with (on my Kona coiler '04). thats brakes (4pots [H]), hubs, cranks etc!

i got a set of XT hubs on Mavic EX721 'bomb proof' rims in grey/black for ?115 from www.chainreactioncycles.com this place is the best imo, so cheap for everything and free delivery!!

HTH, just all my opinion of course! [:D]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try Merlin Cycles as they have good price wheel & disc brake sets.

I got a pair of mavic rims and a magura disc brake set for about ?150 all in.

They also do good price shimano shifters as well

They are on the web, I have a rockhopper myself and a few mates with ?2K bikes, I can ask if any of them are selling kit as they are always changing forks etc for the latest spec gear

You could also try chain reaction cycles or wiggle - lots of clearance stuff out at the moment

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest I'd upgrade the front fork and maybe your wheels....I tend to just put up with stuff til I break it which is happening more regularly now [:p] Regarding your shifting, just make sure everything is nice and lubed up. If you buy disc brakes, don't get cable ones, they're a waste of time. A lot of bike shops are doing good deals on kit at the moment so it's worth having a good look around for parts,

I'm sort of in the same boat, I have 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo which is getting a bit dated now...its a case of shall I get a new bike or upgrade the bits on this frame.....oooh its all money!
See I knew when I bought I was compromising ig time on the bolt on bits and knew they would wear out quickly... but MTB's now have 0 second hand value and I really cant justify upgrading.. So I will definetly be upgrading bits.. Plus the frame is identical to the 2007 bikes..

I do maintain my bake and wash it after every ride, and use gt85 not wd40 etc etc... but TBH the derraileurs werent great on day one nor was the fork...

I could live with the wheels and brakes for a good while longer apart from the mud clogging it all up, and the only reason I would change the wheels/hubs is because the current ones cant take discs... so I if I rule out discs then I rule out wheel/hub changes

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is great stuff guys, could anyone help me with how Shimano classify there stuff, after all deor has been around for as long as the trees, whats the deal with xt lx, how do you know if its a current setup or not.....

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
check this link out

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/category.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302050358&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181674&bmUID=1170022296019

if u click on the model, then what u want, it should give the actual model number for it!

trouble with the newer XT shifters they are dual control and built into the brake levers! i went for the more conventional ones, which i think they still sell! u also need to be careful with rear deraillers as some of the newer ones are rapid rise, so in their rest position they are the otherway round to move conventional ones, need different shifters for those too i think, not 100% as i have conventional stuff!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have said that you would like a rear disc brake aswell.... Does your current frame have disc mounts???

Jay
Yep the frame is the same as the 6000 etc which shows how cheap and nasty the rest of it is

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It's just like car ownership .... Start with the basics and pimp from there..... The amount of Hope Mono disc's and calipers i have knocking about, Brand new custom hand built ( by me wheels never used in 2 years) is quite scary.

But i guess it's the same for some peep's and their car garages

Jay

·
Registered
99 Posts
ive just finished upgrading my bike so have a bit of experience at this .....

merlin cycles do some great value disc and wheel kits,for instance:

DISC KIT 9 (LX)

*New for 2006 LX hydraulic disc brakes
*Same caliper as XT but 2 piece (XT is 1 piece)

Standard levers can be used with the usual Shimano gear levers
*The kit includes everything that is required.
*Wheels - new 585 LX splined disc hubs handbuilt into Mavic rims(I WOULD CHOSE THE MAVIC 321 RIM OPTION FOR SOMEONE OF YOUR WEIGHT!!)

all this for ?200 quid.

thay also do some good forks:

2007 TORA 302 U-TURN + POLOC

Intended Application: XC, All Mountain
Travel: 85-130mm, Travel Adjust: U-Turn 85-130mm
Weight: 2400g (5.3 lbs)
Spring: Coil, Spring Adjust: Change Spring / Preload
Damping: Turnkey Lockout, Damping Adjust: External rebound, lockout, PopLoc remote option
Lowers: Magnesium, with bosses
Crown: Forged, hollow, 6061 T-6 aluminium
Steerer Tube: Aluminium
Upper Tubes: 32mm STKM steel
Colour: Diffusion Black

(U TURN WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA ON YOUR FRAME AS YOU CAN WIND THE TRAVEL UP AND DOWN FOR DIFFERENT RIDING TYPES!)

this little lot would be a good starting point for upgrading.

gears and shifter wise i would go for deore or lx stuff as the xt stuff is nice but isnt that much better for the extra outlay.

DMR v8 pedals are a good choice too.

cheers

steve

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great stuff..

Looks like its going to be harder to do it instages than I thought, as my shifters are brake integrated, and I cant do the brakes till I change the wheels ...

So I might have to fill the garage with new bits before I do all the swapping

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i wouldnt advise getting the mavic 321's as they recently changed all the numbers round! the 321 used to be the bombproof freestyle type rim, but is now a cross country rim! the 321's replacement was the 729, which i have [:D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive just finished upgrading my bike so have a bit of experience at this .....

merlin cycles do some great value disc and wheel kits,for instance:

DISC KIT 9 (LX)

*New for 2006 LX hydraulic disc brakes
*Same caliper as XT but 2 piece (XT is 1 piece)

Standard levers can be used with the usual Shimano gear levers
*The kit includes everything that is required.
*Wheels - new 585 LX splined disc hubs handbuilt into Mavic rims(I WOULD CHOSE THE MAVIC 321 RIM OPTION FOR SOMEONE OF YOUR WEIGHT!!)

all this for ?200 quid.

thay also do some good forks:

2007 TORA 302 U-TURN + POLOC

Intended Application: XC, All Mountain
Travel: 85-130mm, Travel Adjust: U-Turn 85-130mm
Weight: 2400g (5.3 lbs)
Spring: Coil, Spring Adjust: Change Spring / Preload
Damping: Turnkey Lockout, Damping Adjust: External rebound, lockout, PopLoc remote option
Lowers: Magnesium, with bosses
Crown: Forged, hollow, 6061 T-6 aluminium
Steerer Tube: Aluminium
Upper Tubes: 32mm STKM steel
Colour: Diffusion Black

(U TURN WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA ON YOUR FRAME AS YOU CAN WIND THE TRAVEL UP AND DOWN FOR DIFFERENT RIDING TYPES!)

this little lot would be a good starting point for upgrading.

gears and shifter wise i would go for deore or lx stuff as the xt stuff is nice but isnt that much better for the extra outlay.

DMR v8 pedals are a good choice too.

cheers

steve
So ?200 could get the brakes and wheels,

I have my eye on a few LX derraileurs on the bay at ?15-?30 each and new deore lx shifters would be ?40 of the bay

add a new cassete and chain ?20 - ?30

Pedals ?20

Forks ?120

So ?440 without touching the crank.... sounds alot BUT if I specced up a Trek with the same alpha frame and all this lot it would be around

?600

(IE here)

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60582

So I am in 2 minds if it might be better to sell it (whats it worth???) and just get a new bike allbeit a 2006 model.....

However my brother in law has just got a nearly new MArin Nail Trail of the bay for ?385 ....

What to do What do ... help me guys

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well, my advice would be to get a discounted new 2006 model as there are loads about, and flog yours in the local paper to someone for about 150 quid or thereabouts. You can spend lots upgrading loads of parts on your bike (and I certainly have in the past when I was racing and stuff wore out!) but at the end of the day you can't beat the feeling of a new bike, FACT. [Y]

·
Registered
188 Posts
So ?200 could get the brakes and wheels,

I have my eye on a few LX derraileurs on the bay at ?15-?30 each and new deore lx shifters would be ?40 of the bay

add a new cassete and chain ?20 - ?30

Pedals ?20

Forks ?120

So ?440 without touching the crank.... sounds alot BUT if I specced up a Trek with the same alpha frame and all this lot it would be around

?600

(IE here)

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60582

So I am in 2 minds if it might be better to sell it (whats it worth???) and just get a new bike allbeit a 2006 model.....

However my brother in law has just got a nearly new MArin Nail Trail of the bay for ?385 ....

What to do What do ... help me guys
Thats The Same Bike Ive got, although mines a couple of years old now....

Personally I would sell your existing bike for as much as you can get for it and buy a new one or even good second hand one from the bay....

As you have said parts wise your looking at ?400 ish, then factor in time involved fitting it all plus what you would get back on your one...

Nice new shiny one...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just looking at the cycle scheme where employers buy the bike on your behalf and you save the VAT and tax ... it all depends on whethere it will effect my car allowances...

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

Can save you upto 50% on anew bike... so it seems a no-brainer...

?150 for my current bike as it is totally mint... get tax free bike at around ?800 and pay only ?450 through cyclescheme... then knock of the ?150 for the old one... and I could have a ?800 bike (or even a reduced 2006 bike at ?100) for as little as ?300....

Hmm is there ANY sense in upgrading???

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
its a bit like modding really! u can buy a new car with most the bits u already have, or keep the current one and mod it!! :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you are looking for second hand parts I would head over to www.singletrackworld.com as the classifieds section is very very good.

The cycle to work scheme th\t the government runs is also a great way of buying a new bike. Beware though, there is a lenghty registration process that your company has to go through and also your payroll department may not like you as your tax code changes and also you repay the amount of the bike through a salary sacrifice scheme. If you can do this though it is a great way to buy a new bike. Have a look at http://www.evanscycles.com under the ride2work tab - this is where my Mrs. bought her bike from through this scheme (saved 500 quid!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts