Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed another gig of RAM and IE7 on my PC the other day. All was going well until it just bsod on me. I only had ie7 open at the time.

I then restarted and the same thing happened again. Once again I restarted and it wouldn't get past the windows logo stage just past bios.

So I thought I would put the XP cd and run a repair but this didn't even pick up a windows install, neither did ERD commander! After this though it now boots up but into some sort of safe mode (no options on start up, it just boots straight into this).

Any ideas on what to do now? Will a Windows repair do anything or is it just best to back my stuff up and clean install? I dont really want to do a clean install due to all my progs on there and ive got a new hdd on order so dont want to do it all again!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
ive heard theres a known bug with ie 7 on particular machines... check the microsoft website if it lets you, you may have to restore back to a point befoe you had ie7.... if you cant get the patch

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Clean install all the way. Not sure what's happened. Why does system restore not work? That is what I was going to suggest!

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean install all the way. Not sure what's happened. Why does system restore not work? That is what I was going to suggest!
I will be doing that when I get my new HDD. Don't know why system restore doesnt work. It tries to, reboots and just hangs on restoring files.

I have just removed IE7 now so fingers crossed it doesn't boot into safe mode. Will then do a repair on it if I can or see if ERD commander or BARTPE can repair it! Only need it going for literally a couple of days til I get my new hdd installed!! Bloody typical that it happened now!

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do know what I am on about but I have never experienced this problem before!  ERD did not pick anything up so I am trying a XP repair now and praying that it doesn't error!!

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it sorted now!! XP repair finally worked.

Wont be putting IE7 back on thats for sure.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Installing more Ram does not require a fresh install of windows. If it bluescreened then I would be more inclined to think youve got an incompatibility either between mobo and ram, or the combination of different brands/speeds/specs of ram. IE7 may be buggy, but I highly doubt it would cause a BSOD. Try running some computer instensive programs, for instance games. If you get another BSOD, then your Ram is definetly at fault (not necessarily faulty ram, just incomapitable with system or combination of ram types).

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installing more Ram does not require a fresh install of windows. If it bluescreened then I would be more inclined to think youve got an incompatibility either between mobo and ram, or the combination of different brands/speeds/specs of ram. IE7 may be buggy, but I highly doubt it would cause a BSOD. Try running some computer instensive programs, for instance games. If you get another BSOD, then your Ram is definetly at fault (not necessarily faulty ram, just incomapitable with system or combination of ram types).
I know that!

The Ram has the same part number as the existing RAM in the system so I am inclined to think that IE7 is a fault especially as it blew the boot records and wipe half of Windows which I highly doubt RAM would do. I shall put the extra RAM back in when my new hdd arrives and see how I go from there.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know that!

The Ram has the same part number as the existing RAM in the system so I am inclined to think that IE7 is a fault especially as it blew the boot records and wipe half of Windows which I highly doubt RAM would do. I shall put the extra RAM back in when my new hdd arrives and see how I go from there.

Thanks for your help.
So you've now taken out the Ram you put in and its working fine? If the ram exactly matches your existing ram (and I mean exactly, brand,speed,spec) then I believe you've probably got a faulty stick of ram. There is a rarity however in that some motherboards dont support dual channel of certain types of memory. Best thing for you to do would be to list all your system specs and I could give you more help :)

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took it out as a precaution but it was already too late by then as Windows and disintergrated!!

It is a Dell Dimension 8400

P4 3.0ghz

4 X 512mb sticks of Crucial Ram - The extra RAM was in there for nearly 2 days before the BSOD.

160gb WD SATA drive.

Im reckoning on IE7!

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to update.

Had my new HDD arrive today and all installed ok, but then it started blue screening after I had installed everything. It turns out that it is the RAM that is the problem. Must be when the system gets warm. I have taken the extra RAM out and re-installed and fingers crossed it should be ok now!

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just to echo what someone else said above, it's highly unlikely that IE7 is the cause of your misery. User-level software like IE7 couldn't cause a BSOD.

I've deployed IE7 to 30+ workstations here and no problems whatsoever. Smooth sailing for over a month now.

Your RAM is the culprit here - either a mismatch between RAM/Board, or FAR more likely is a dodgy RAM stick (a large percentage of RAM being sold ends up being faulty by the time it enters your machine - either because of a manufacturing fault, or due to handling somewhere along the way).

One other consideration is that you've got a virus, but since you seem to be pretty tech-savvy, I'm guessing you've already ruled that out.

Finally, you mention that the system BSODs when the RAM gets warm - this is a possibility, but it's just as likely to be a faulty chip which simply isn't used the vast majority of the time, and only causes a failure when it (rarely) gets used.

What I'd do is remove all the RAM, and just put one of the new ones in. Run it for a couple of days and see if it breaks - if not, put the next new one in. Hopefully you'll track it down ot just one of the new 512Mb RAM cards, and then you can return that one.

Hope you manage to solve your problems!

Regards

L

·
Registered
138 Posts
What I'd do is remove all the RAM, and just put one of the new ones in. Run it for a couple of days and see if it breaks - if not, put the next new one in. Hopefully you'll track it down ot just one of the new 512Mb RAM cards, and then you can return that one.
Or to find out quicker, download a copy of Memtest86 which creates a bootable disk that runs a pretty extensive series of memory tests on your RAM. It usually finds any problems within a few minutes which means you can just keep swapping your memory around until you find the faulty stick. If you do find one is dodgy, try putting a good stick in its place to rule out a fault with the slot itself - unlikely but it's worth the few minutes effort to check.

·
Registered
623 Posts
What's one of those then?

I did an NT4 Server exam once. That was about 8 years ago. Never again.

Don't fancy doing another exam every time MS decide to release an OS with barely noticeable feature differences. Niftily avoided having to do any ever again by switching to Linux as my main speciality...

Presume MCDST is more hardware-focused though?

Best of luck anyway. Sometimes it's the only way to get a foot on the ladder...

L

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician. I've been in IT for 6 years now, its just that work are paying for it so its something extra to go on your CV and goes as a module towards a MCP which they will probably pay for to!

One of my colleagues has just done a beta Vista exam - 4 hours and they ask you every question for that exam!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts