Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if theres anyone who goes diving

i use to go a fair bit (but didnt have my PADI )

So i shouldnt have realy been going places i was or depths

Havent been for about a year and thought of starting again anyone suggest a local padi traing school in essex ...???

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am a PADI Advanced Diver.  Naughty boy not being certified.  TBH as long as you are with a good instructor actual certification does not mean that much (apart from the legal aspects).  i canbnot help you with places in Essex, I did mine in the Maldives and Florida.  You won't catch me diving in the UK

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool , yer i know i have been naughty .........i use to go with my mates ......... cough not instructors [:$]

i was going to get the theory done over here and then the rest abroad some where like sharm el sheikh ie egypt

wasnt sure best way to go about it

yer dont blame ya for not doing them over here ...........lol

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I used to be a BSAC instructor..although that was more than 10 years ago..like Simon says ( hehe ! )( sorry[:$] ), diving in this country isn't good. Gravel pits are murky and horrible and not very interesting unless you like shopping trolleys. The sea is bloody freezing at best...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'm going to learn to dive this year[:D] Undecided whether to do it all abroad or theory here, practical abroad. Probably go to Sharm-el-Sheikh too.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I agree, diving in this country probably isn't the warmest option! [:O]

When i was doing my PADI course, i learnt most of the diving in a nice warm pool, as most do, but for the actual final assessment in order to gain the certificate you have to do it in open water. In my case this was in the winter months, and even with thermals and a drysuit i was still freezing...

But it's the most fantastic experience, it's the best thing i've ever done and to anyone thinking of learning, i urge you to!! [:D]

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would suggest you go on holiday and do it too!

We went to the Maldives last year and tried scuba for the first time. Was just going to do the Discover Scuba course (1 day) but ended up addicted and did the PADI course plus a few other dives! Going back this year to do the Advanced PADI!!

It is totally awesome to do it in the warm waters and see all the amazing life around you. I would never dream of doing it in the UK, too cold, dark and dull, IMO!!

Also, I would suggest you do the theory and practical in one place, probably abroad! We did it all at the Maldives and it was easy. The instructor will help you and once you've done a practical exercise, at the end of the day you watch a video then do a test. Then the instructor can remind you of what you did in the practical if you are struggling in the test. Make sense?!
Plus different instructors may teach you in different ways. So IMO I think its best to do the lot together!

Iain

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Are there any problems with the language barrier or do they have English instructors?
The pplaces I have learnt in the instructors speak better English than me. I have been taught by French, Swedish and a Brit. No problems at all.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Are there any problems with the language barrier or do they have English instructors?
The pplaces I have learnt in the instructors speak better English than me. I have been taught by French, Swedish and a Brit. No problems at all.
I agree. We were taught by a German and you could understand him perfectly, plus he had a sense of humour! Now who's says those germans don't?!!
The place we went to was run by and English guy, but they had 2 germans (male and female), a Belgian and a couple of locals who also taught. All spoke perfect english.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have just realized, we have had 11 posts on here about diving, and not one has mentioned the word 'muff'.  We are very grown up.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol theres always one to lower the tone isnt there ........muff .....yummy yummy

any way back on track with regard to diving

think i will be booking a holiday up for the end of the year for 2 weeks first week to get the coarse out the way second to go do a bit of diving and be legal to do it ........think ive got to many unoffical dives under my belt about time i did it by the book ..lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm going to learn to dive this year[:D] Undecided whether to do it all abroad or theory here, practical abroad. Probably go to Sharm-el-Sheikh too.
If you going there maybe we shoudl have a forum trip :) I'd be up for it

·
Registered
95 Posts
im a advanced PADI diver, havent done it in about a year but im busy at the gym so i can get back at it soon. your all big girls doing it on holidays i i did all my training of the the north coast of ireland in winter in a 6mm wetsuit for the open water course and again in a 12mm wetsuit for the advanced. they say some of the best diving in the world is off the north cost of ireland. ive done a few dives around france and the canary islands, and by far irelands the best.

neil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts