Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Any advice on a rear brake upgrade for the 150 tdi standard set up?

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  NooNoo 
#1 ·
Hi all, has anyone upgraded the rear brakes on their mk4 golf and are happy with them? Im more after performance over style. I would really like to change for bigger disks and better calipers, any suggestions?

Thanks, Jay

#9 ·
It will help, but how much it helps depends on how much better your front brakes are and whether they merit upgraded rear brakes. Even if you was to use larger disks and use your original calipers and bring it out with carriers say. It would bring the calipers out further away from the centre point of rotation and mean it can apply more force.

Most tend to look to upgrade the rear to restore a factory like braking balance but for general purposes alot of people just leave the rear or at most get uprated pads for the rear, this is because alot of the braking is done by the front.

If the setup doesn't merit the setup then it just means more unsprung weight [N]

#10 ·
Question: why? Do you have a problem with the rear brakes as they are?
Yes i want to be able to brake later and stop in a shorter distance!!

I have upped performance to 204 bhp and around 320 lb torque and feel like i could do with some extra stopping power

I am a track day addict and dont like being outbraked, decided im going to take the car on track now ive quit racing and sold my race bike.

Soon to upgrade fronts to brembo 4 pots with 323mm discs ... makes sense to also upgrade the rears

My car is only going to get faster as time goes on ..... and turbo sizes increase

The standard rear discs look about the size of a rich tea biscuit and are only just bigger than my alloy wheel centre caps

I think they are all valid reasons for me to upgrade

#11 ·
if yours has sold discss then go for octavia vRS rear brakes.

256mm vented discs and single piston caliper, looks standard seeing as it is on another car and easy to get hold of parts as again they are oem.
Cheers mate i will look into it, its a new suggestion to me this 1, im not sure what size my standard rear discs are on the 150 tdi but i do know i want larger, i was expecting more than 1 piston calipers to upgrade to but i will look into this octavia vRS option.

Thanks, Jay

#18 ·
Poker..... Good answer! Ok. What I suggest then is asking what is a great braking package. You probably know plenty about balance, unsprung weight etc, so perhaps some better replies and suggestions will come in. Perhaps check out the uk-mkivs car spec?

#19 ·
Correct me if im wrong but I think your standard rear setup are 232mm x 9mm solid
I think your probablly correct on them sizes, they look weak and tiny.

And yes my mates anniversary 150tdi rears are considerablly bigger than mine, im guessing these are the 256mm what you guys are mentioning

Thanks for all the sugestions

#21 ·
#22 ·
Here's my "how to" for the 256 x 22mm rears...

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/382241/2607101.aspx#2607101

Cheers mate, that 256 x 22mm rear conversion should be good enough, i still wonder if any of the cars with that disc size came with a brembo caliper ..... not a must but it would look pretty matching the front brembo's that i will be upgrading to.

Performance increase is my main aim and that setup has to be a big improvement over standard, if i can improve looks at the same time then that would be ultimate.

Now i need to look into how well 256 x 22 mm black diamond discs perform compared to standard 256 x 22 mm discs, i believe they might increase stopping power even more whilst at the same time keeping with the black theme im trying to acheive on the outside. Aparrentlly they dont rust either, just stay black all the time.

#24 ·
apparantly the 4WD 256x22mm brakes are not a direct bolt on, they need spacing but FWD 256x22mm bolt straight on.
Yes, make sure you get an FWD cars rear setup then you don't have to worry about spacers.

[Y]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.