Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My Norton Anti Virus has just expired, can't afford to go and buy some new software so looking to get a free download or free trials. Can anyone suggest which type I should go for? Is just a simple anti-virus one good enough?

Any Help Appreciated

Bex.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
There is loads of free stuff that you can use. Firstly make sure u have a fire wall. Use something like Zone alarm is free and quite good. Also use a good anti spyware, lavasoft's Ad-Aware also free. I think there is a free anti virus GCS, or something (sure someone will correct me).

Another free app I would recommend is CCleaner.

Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is loads of free stuff that you can use. Firstly make sure u have a fire wall. Use something like Zone alarm is free and quite good. Also use a good anti spyware, lavasoft's Ad-Aware also free. I think there is a free anti virus GCS, or something (sure someone will correct me).

Another free app I would recommend is CCleaner.

Good luck
Arggh so many things I need then! So basically I need a Firewall, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus. Is there anything that actually has all of them in one package?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would definatley recommend Avast Antivirus. Adaware is good for removing spyware, you have to update it and run it regularly - also free.

Are you dialing up or using broadband?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would definatley recommend Avast Antivirus. Adaware is good for removing spyware, you have to update it and run it regularly - also free.

Are you dialing up or using broadband?
Thanks for the info. What is Spyware anyway?

I am currently still on Dial up unfortunately, thats the trouble when you live in the Hills!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It's not that bad get zone alarm installed first. A fire wall is most important!! Had a look and not so sure Zone alarm are still offering a free one.

I'm using Kerio personal firewall - its the free one. I don't use anti-virus, I just use CCleaner and ad-aware.

you could try this for your anti-virus:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

·
Registered
435 Posts
Spyware is small files that get on to our machine when just doing normal browsing. They are often designed to "spy" on your usage etc and send the information back to the source.

Similar stuff called Malware (malicious software) can do a bit more damage. An example is a dialler, which changes where you dial up to, to a much more expensive Internet Service Provider. I recently sorted one of these out for someone, as they had no anti-virus or anti-spyware. Avast (www.avast.com) is free and detected that straight away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adaware (personal) is free from www.lavasoft.com.

Let me know if you want help donwloading / installing / using....
Thanks for the info, I'm great with computers just not with the Security side of things. I will have a look into it in the morning and get myself sorted. I've been putting it off for weeks now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cool, might take a little while to download on the dial up, hopefully it will be OK.

The software filewall I used to use was the Zonealarm one, I'll just check if it's still available and free...

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
I can send you a link to a corporate edition of Sophos if you like as we have a home user scheme at work.

I use sygate personal firewall.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Personally i use, Zonealarm Firewall, Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, and AVG Antivirus. I found that spybot find things that adaware doesnt and vice versa.

Good site for downloading. Look for 'free' licenses: www.download.com [:D]

·
Registered
435 Posts
We've tested AVG against Avast, and Avast came up better.

The problem with protection is that you don't know ou have a problem unitl it's too late !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have been using AVG for about six months and it has been fab with the occasional run of Spybot and i have never had any trouble.

Jay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts