"What, ALL of them?"

"Yes"

"But what if it's not producing the same power as the original 150bhp?"

"Doesn't matter"

"But what if I change the engine?"

"Is it the same capacity?"

"Yes"

"Doesn't matter"

"...But I'm really concerned about all the mods!

"It really doesn't matter"

...and so on.

Now, as they're ?500 cheaper than Adrian Flux, how do I go about getting their conversation in writing?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
well write to them (or call them again) and go through that again but ask if you can have that quote including all of those details in writing sent to you to consider before you decide

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Quote: posted by MRK IV on 06/05/2004 17:25:41

"So you're saying that all Mods are covered?"

"Yes"

"What, ALL of them?"

"Yes"

I looked at your website....you car is pretty much standard isn't it?

[:p]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I too am with Liv Vic and was told any mods whatsoever as long as I don't increase the engine CC.

I too keep meaning to write them a letter so I have something in black and white so to speak.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Gary, the answer to your question is to ask them to put it in writing as a condition of accepting their offer. However, as someone who has the misfortune to work as an insurance broker (with a bias elsewhere than cars), I would just say;

1) The is no such thing as a free lunch.

2) There is something to be said for sticking with a product/service designed for you. For all their faults, Adrian Flux do appear to be set up especially to cover vehicles like your own. L&V seem to have found themselves in a competitive situation almost by mistake, and through networking of information like on this forum, have found a flood of business coming in through the door.

3) If my car were in bits following a high speed accident, I would want to be pretty damn confident that it was going to be repaired to my satisfaction.

4) Insurance is a product/service which is subjective - price is not the be all and end all, in the same way as say choice tuner.

James

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wise words indeed James, but with a ?500 saving it's something I really do need to investigate - a little voice in my head is still saying "where's the catch?".

Good idea Stewart, I'll ask them this morning.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Gary, keep us posted because I've still got doubts in my head after being with them for the past year. With the extent that your car has been modified, it will be an interesting exercise.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I'm currently with Adrian Flux paying a ?2K premium.

LV have quoted a renewal of ?1400.

GreenLight were even cheaper at ?800, though they don't cover any modified car for business user [V]

·
Registered
293 Posts
I must admit that if i had a car as heavily modded as yours Gary, i would want it in writing. L&V said to me that i should keep receipts for mods that i have done so that i can prove their worth in a claim.

With the serious amount of time and cash that you have lavished on your car, you don't want to start arguing AFTER the event. Best get it sorted now, just in case.

David.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There have been ramblings about L&V on loads of forums. When you get your policy through aparently the small print says no mods... Don't know how true this is. But if true then the cover isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Pete

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Another thought as this bugged me today - in your situation you should ensure that any policy you have gives you the right to retain the salvage. The Flux proposition may well do - the L&V one almost certainly will not. Although you have expended a small fortune on your car, it is unique and its market value will not reflect the investment. A write-off will be determined as a percentage of the "market value" not the value to you, and I can see a great disparity between your opinion of the value to you of the car, and a motor engineer's with one eye buried in Glass' Guide. i.e. any reasonably significant shunt will have the car declared a write-off.

I recall you said in a thread some months back that the AF policy cost you around ?900 which strikes me as pretty damn good (and takes into account its limited annual mileage, second car etc) given the speed you buzzed me at a few months ago, and ?500 or so is indeed worryingly cheap. I can't see how it could deliver "value for money".

If you retain the salvage, you pocket the money and then go back to AmD and get it reshelled....

·
Registered
464 Posts
So let me get this straight - as long as the cc remains the same, then mods dont matter??

So if I chipped my 1.9TDI they wouldnt care?

Now I can see the reasons why a car like Garys may not be best insured with them if they dont give you rights to the salvage etc.

But for those of us with the more run of the mill performance mods, wouldnt this seem just too good to be true??

Think Ill get a quote!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Had a good read of my policy tonight (Frizzels sent me the paperwork, they are owned by L&V) and i can find no wording that says mods are not allowed.

HOWEVER there is some wording that says that they will not repair a car to a value greater then market value. I'm guessing that this means that they would only effect a repair using standard parts upto the point where they would write it off. Theres nothing mentioned about scrap/buyback but you could almost certainly cut a deal with the insurers. (I have on two motorcycle write offs. 3k bike, write off crash, buy back for ?200, repair for ?600 and sell on for 2.5k a year later!)

At least for me this isn't a problem as my car mods are fairly basic mechanical mods and if they refused to put the TT brakes back on then it wouldn't be the end of the world. All i am concerned with is if i have a crash, they don't refuse to pay out (for me or a 3rd party) because i didn't declare a mod !

For a heavily modded car, esp one that would require alot of bodywork in the event of a minor spill i would be a bit more cautious i think.

David.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts