Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

After much deliberation and being in contact with pretty much all of my local revo dealers I decided that £360.00, plus the cost of me driving out to whichever dealer - is just too much. I had Revo on my AUG G4GTI which was fantastic but at that stage I didn't really know much about the other offerings tbh. I came across a remap offering from "More-BHP" on ebay, and immediately thought better of it. I wasn't comfortable getting a remap from a company called "More-BHP", notwithstanding the fact that it's through ebay!

Then I came across the thread on here where there were a few happy customers, and I had a good read through the sellers record and I couldn't find a single unhappy customer. I was part of the big sceptics because how can it be any near as good for such a low price?!

This is the listing from their website:

http://www.more-bhp.com/golf-iv/vw-golf-4-gti-18t-150-remap.html

I discovered that there was an option for a postal remap, which I thought was kind of sketchy as you have to take your ECU out and mail it to them. I found a pdf guide on here for removal of the ECU which was actually quite easy, and the ECU is sent recorded first class delivery the idea being I'd only be without the car from Monday morning to Wednesday evening.

So I bought this item on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310299847302

Sent off the ECU on Monday, Jason received it on Tuesday morning and sent it back to me on Tuesday afternoon. Had to go away for work, so only managed to fit it last night and I'm absolutely thrilled! I honestly think it's the best £99 I've ever spent and it feels fantastic. The ECU will still be relearning and adapting to the new software, but already after about 10 miles it feels fantastic! Characteristically, it doesn't have that Revo mid-range bang (which prematurely fried the clutch on my previous GTI) but has a more linear power delivery and pulls well all the way through the revs.

I'll hopefully be going to a few tracks in summer, so will keep you guys posted of my times and experience over the next few weeks or so. If you're in or near North London and would like to see how she goes just shout! I'd strongly recommend this as an option to any forum users considering a remap [<:eek:)]

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sounds good mate, bought my 150 pd last month and I'm sure it has had some sort of map but the previous owner doesn't know anything about it, it just feels quicker than standard. I was considering getting another map on it so know exactly what is putting out plus I'm sure it could be better than what it is now.
Can they map over and existing map?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet it would be even better with an R-Tech remap!
Excellent, since you obviously have personal experience in the R-Tech remap being superior to this particular remap would you mind sharing your experience with the More-BHP remap? Personally I can't comment because I haven't tried R-Tech. I felt that this would serve me as well at a better price. Me saying this remap is better than R-Tech would be like saying my wife's cooking is better than yours. Since I've never tried R-Tech, I have no basis upon which to form an opinion. So what was the More-BHP remap like in your opinion? Characteristics etc.?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I love threads in which a user joins and 2 weeks later he has a map from a certain company and they are the best thing since sliced bread. Even more of a giveaway is the fact that the review almost looks professionally written by a marketing person obviously nothing to do with the company in question lol..

one flew over the cookoo's nest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy tiger... I am a Software Consultant for Sage. Have nothing to do with marketing or cars whatsoever, and I've neither seen nor spoken to the "company in question" (Who's questioning anything by the way?) With exception to 3 e-mails where I was given instructions and details as to where I should send the parcel.

If you search my username you'll see I've mostly been a Honda fanatic on those forums. Though I've had 3 GTI's in the past, I haven't had the need to sign up to this board.
You really shouldn't measure the worthiness or relevance of a thread or post by the number of posts that user has made or the date he/she joined the board AND you shouldn't assume everyone's a noob or their opinion doesn't count unless their post count is >x.

I didn't say they're the best thing since sliced bread - in fact I would have preferred to go to Custom Code or Revo or R-Tech because they've got great reputations especially on this lovely forum - but the cost factor was so great so I went for this one and I don't regret it. I almost feel like I found a good deal somewhere and now I'm sharing it with fellow-minded individuals.

I happen to be a user of the board as you are - sharing my opinion with the other users. Just because I've written a favourable review shouldn't imply that I am associated to them.

Thanks for the compliment in saying the post looked professionally put together - I'm typing from my phone though.

And by the way: it's cuckoo not cookoo :)

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Excellent, since you obviously have personal experience in the R-Tech remap being superior to this particular remap would you mind sharing your experience with the More-BHP remap? Personally I can't comment because I haven't tried R-Tech. I felt that this would serve me as well at a better price. Me saying this remap is better than R-Tech would be like saying my wife's cooking is better than yours. Since I've never tried R-Tech, I have no basis upon which to form an opinion. So what was the More-BHP remap like in your opinion? Characteristics etc.?
No need for the sarcasm. I didn't say I had any experience with a More-BHP remap, I did however say I BET it would be even better with an R-Tech remap.

Did they put your car on a ramp, check for faults, remedy any problems before they mapped it? Or just come to your house, take your money, bang a map on and dissappear with no further way of you asking questions if something wasn't right? If something isn't to your liking with a map supplied by someone like R-Tech then you can go back to them and tell them, they will look into your problem and fix it. Not saying More-BHP won't do this....but generally speaking most mobile mappers dont.

·
Registered
207 Posts
On a completely different note, on their website they have "The only sale worth talking about banner"

I created a Flash hero for my job at B&Q and they have stole it!! :O

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
How do you know your car is running spot on too? You have literally just banged on a generic map with no logs of fueling, timing, boost....

IMO you pay for what you get, and I believe R-Tech maps are about £250? £150 to ensure your car is performing as it shoudl when mapped is well worth it IMO...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No need for the sarcasm. I didn't say I had any experience with a More-BHP remap, I did however say I BET it would be even better with an R-Tech remap.

Did they put your car on a ramp, check for faults, remedy any problems before they mapped it? Or just come to your house, take your money, bang a map on and dissappear with no further way of you asking questions if something wasn't right? If something isn't to your liking with a map supplied by someone like R-Tech then you can go back to them and tell them, they will look into your problem and fix it. Not saying More-BHP won't do this....but generally speaking most mobile mappers dont.
Fair enough most don't offer this, and I agree with the sentiments of an earlier poster - his marketing is unattractive and over the top but shouldn't take away from the fact that the work is good. You're assuming I didn't do those things myself. By definition this service should only be relevant to advanced users who know what they're doing - the assumption is that you know how to remove the ECU first of all and that you get the car checked out on your own account - or like I do - use VAG Com and do it yourself :)

They definitely do offer the checking service - I didn't need it because I've recently replaced the BCV, DV and a few other leaks.

Didn't mean to come across as a c0ck *insert thumbs up*

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way - in line with your BET.... I'm willing to have a Santa Pod best outta 3 gauge against another board member with software only, and I'll buy a beer for him win or lose :)

If I win though - he's gotta say that More-BHP is a great remap. If I lose I'll change my sig to More-BHP made my car slow :lol:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
dyno would be easier mate,you can get dyno run for around 30quid. not to take anything from More BHP as i've heard only good things about them but my choice would still be R-tech.

as for the santa pod race, id be up for that but my car isnt standard

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shame about all the negativity, my question seems to have gone a miss. Would anyone care to answer my question please?
Sorry mate, I did try to reply. I did read on their website that you can still get a remap if a trial or other map was previously loaded so I guess the answer is yes. Forwarded this to Jason to reply for definite.

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dyno would be easier mate,you can get dyno run for around 30quid. not to take anything from More BHP as i've heard only good things about them but my choice would still be R-tech.

as for the santa pod race, id be up for that but my car isnt standard
Sweet, let me know if you're going I'll definitely join ya! I'm always up to losing against a faster car :D

I'd certainly also heard very good things about R-Tech so they must be very good! And I like that his presence on this BB is good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts