Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Just bought myself a MK4 1.9 TDI. 185000 miles (just run in right?!). Bodywork is all sound but it does have some issues such as :

Very little service history so water pump and belt getting done by a trusted local VW guy
Suspension bushes shot to bits on front
Washer pump not working
Bit of exhaust missing (possibly cat?)
Boot doesn't open (key just spins)
O/S rear doo doesn't open
Cigarette lighter doesn't work
2 x wheel nuts missing
Needs a service.

Good news is that the engine is strong - not smoking and gearbox is nice.

Watch this space for newbie questions!

Tom

· Registered
417 Posts
Hi Tom,
You have come to the right place for a mk4 owner, there are some real Mk4 "Gods" on here, full of advice and knowledge.

You can get some history about the car by looking at the previous 5 years worth of MoT results and advisories on the government web site - this can be very informative if you have nothing else.

My mk4 1.9 TDI 130 is at 150k miles, and I am still impressed how well it accelerates in 6th. much better than my 2.0TDI and 1.5TSI, both of which are supposed to have more BHP.

What on earth possessed you to by a Golf with so many issues and such high mileage? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I appreciate they are good cars, and once you have those things sorted you will have a very nice car!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ian,
It was £1100 and most things on the body are straight and it was nearby to where I live. Due to impending divorce it was important that I secured some wheels...........I have a very trustworthy mechanic who can make some smart choices in getting it up together. It was a bit of a knee jerk purchase but I was kinda pushed into it due to time restrictions of various sorts.......I will prevail though :) With your help I hope!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts