Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey.. iv had the downpipe/de-cat on for about 3 months now only done 4000miles and inside the decat part it is rattleing. i have no proof of purchase either so cant send it back :(. is there any way i can fix it? doubt it... also is there anychance it will stop itself? as the baffles inside wear would it stop maybe?

it took me agies to fit it and wouldnt attemp it ever again (not a good fit at all) as you all say "you get what you pay for" id get a milltek if i had the money.

thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi mate......I also have one of these DP`s...however mine hasn`t started to rattle...YET?????????...only thing I can think might work would be to slightly pinch the silencer part together in a few places..(each side at the F+R)....just enough to maybe grip the baffle inside?????....may work..may not..[Y][:p]..only other option is to drill a hole in the silencer part....and try and spot weld the baffle part to outer part...then load the hole made with weld.....????

HTH

Nick

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh i thought about pinching it. dont think it will work also it would be bloody hard to even dent it lol. i wanna know wat it makin the noise? will it be the baffles then. have they come loose? think it will be a cut open job or summit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
hello.

Whats it liek to have a de cat do u use more fuel??? and is it loud? as i dont liek loud sytems as such

Andy

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does use slight more fuel when you go on a mad one. didnt really notice a differance. it did make the exhaust louder inside the car and make a lot of popping and garggleing noises. not worth it if you dont want a loud system. did notice alot more power :) also hear the turbo spin up alot louder

·
Registered
398 Posts
yeh i thought about pinching it. dont think it will work also it would be bloody hard to even dent it lol. i wanna know wat it makin the noise? will it be the baffles then. have they come loose? think it will be a cut open job or summit.
Prob needs to be Pinched up in an hydraulic press...(will mean removal of DP tho???)...this is what I used in the first place to put a nice smooth kink in the first section of the DP to clear the subframe/rack....(a little TIP...its also just what is needed to help with Milltek clearance over the rear beam..[;)][;)])......I reckon its the perforated baffle tube thats inside the silencer that has come away from the outer case...(is so much heat involved...along with constant expansion & contraction its not suprising its happened really)......

Andy im exactly the same as you on that one mate....I hate noisy systems....(another TIP...dam im giving out loads today..LOL[:D]) if you wanna keep the noise levels down a bit...best thing to do is wrap the whole DP in exhaust wrap...(the thermo tek racing stuff)...keeps heat levels right down below the Turbo charger [Y]....and stops the booming on WOT from under the car....[Y][Y]....

As gray said uses a bit more fuel....but if we all worried about that then all of us on here would be driving standard cars......[:p]

HTH guys

Nick

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok may sound dumb...whats in the silencer part? also is there just one layer of the baffle?

does anyone else recommend pinching it with a press? is this the right way to go about. sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
340 Posts
excerlant thansk guys....

The guys say that they can put a silance in for me were the cat was just to keep the noise down a bit and they said it wont effect the performance and the whoel point of a de cat.

Good point i get 23/24mpg now and its ok ;-)

Do we have a problem with the light on the dash wen its removed??? they say they did a audi TT and they put one of the sensors outside of the exaust on a bracket (l shape) and they said his lights never coem on...

Andy

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Hey gents.

Nice to hear from you both again, Nick & Andy, havent seen you guys since Ed 38.

That was a good weekend. [:)]

This downpipe? does it have a Cat attached or not?

I have recently fitted a Milltek 2.5" Dp and Cat.

I now have a full Turbo back 2.5" Milltek exhaust system.

What a difference it made, the exhaust is slightlly louder, above 3k it roars more, not in your face though,

And as Gray said, you can hear the turbo spool up more,

I also find my revs go up quicker, unless it's the exhaust just being louder!

With regard to the rattle mate, it def sounds like the baffels are falling apart inside, if this Dp has

a cat attached then you might be in a bit of trouble, if all the baffels are removed, the cat will be useless.

Then you may as well have a straight through system, Louder Exhaust, don't know about the dash lights coming on though.

The reason for the sensors basically is to protect the cat, one reads before the cat and one after so they can compare how much or little gas is being emmited into the atmosphere.

They will then send signals to the injection computer among other things to adjust the mixture accordinglly.

Hope this helps? [:)]

Take it easy guys, hopefully see you some time this year.

Dan

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
hey.. iv had the downpipe/de-cat on for about
3 months now only done 4000miles and inside the decat part it is
rattleing. i have no proof of purchase either so cant send it back :(.
is there any way i can fix it? doubt it... also is there anychance it
will stop itself? as the baffles inside wear would it stop maybe?
Its a decat pipe, so should have no baffles in it, it should be just an empty
pipe! Sounds like it is just catching and rattling, which is more
than likely, the fitament on the megan racing stuff isn't that great.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Cheers for clearing that up mate,

Does that mean he's only possiblly got a back box?

Thats's gonna be failry loud?
No probs. Even if there is only one silencer on a 1.8T, provided
it is a good quality exhaust then it won't be too noisy. On my
car I only have the single Milltek rear silencer and its not too noisy,
is nice and quiet when on the motorway and has a bark like an evo on
boost.

·
Registered
398 Posts
ok may sound dumb...whats in the silencer part? also is there just one layer of the baffle?

does anyone else recommend pinching it with a press? is this the right way to go about. sorry for all the questions.
Hi mate...when I say silencer... I just mean the larger part of the downpipe...(as its not 2.5" like the rest of it) .....its the big diameter part that the post sensor fits into....inside there, there is a perforated tube...it.is still hollow all the way through...but I guess it does act as some sort of baffle????....

If you were to pinch this part "SLIGHTLY" it should be just enough to hold the perforated tube in place...and stop the rattle..(if it actually is this causing it???)....you wouldn`t restrict flow as you would need to completely crush the pipe down to below 2.5" to do that.....and that would be nearly impossible.......

Hi Dan....good to hear from ya mate.....Basically we are running a straight through exhaust system.....no cat no nothing.....it does boom a bit.... but nothing major...if its wrapped there is even less noise.....

Nick

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok sound mate thanks for all the help...yeh it is coming from the larger bore part of the decat so if i bang it .it rattles from this part.how much do you think i have to have it pinched? and also is there anyway i can get it done with it still on the car? thats wat i really wanna know?

thanks

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
took it in today and they have sorted it all out. they used a hydrolic clamp and now it is all sorted.. thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bonus....so all is well....glad you got it sorted..[:D]...guess its just a matter of time B4 mine starts to rattle....will be taking my DP in the next few weeks..(MOT time..[:(] )...so think ill pinch it up a bit while its off the car.....[:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts