Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard on the local news that someone was 'jacked' for a black Golf GTI on his doorstep last night in Hale (South Manchester)... not to far away from the R32 that was taken in Stockport recently either. Another friend of a friend has his taken at gunpoint from the Trafford Center car park and he was bundled in the boot only to be kicked out in the middle of Salford.... got it back 3 days later wrecked. Seems to be a spate of it around here at the moment, and no doubt elsewhere too...

Who's got what in terms of alarms & trackers and what do they do to get your car back in hopefully one peice?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I could leave the keys in the ingish overnight and it would still be there the next day. Car crime is very low up this neck of the woods but we still have to lock, alarm and immobilise them in order to be insured just in case. No trackers up this way - only nosey neighbours [:p]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You see i don't know why there is this fascination in jacking Golfs whether it's a GTi or an R... They're lovely cars don't get me wrong, but they're nothing special at all compared to some cars on the road either in looks or performance!..

If these idiots are gonna steal a car to just trash it, why not jack a Ferrari or something along those lines worth nicking?? [:|]

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dunno - apparently they're the new Saphire Cosworth when it comes to reversing into cash machines and stealing them. Although there was a report of an R32 matching the one from Stockport being used in a robbery from a jewelers in Chester 2 or 3 days after it was blagged... must be good get-a-way cars?

·
Registered
811 Posts
i agree RJH, although i love my golf there are still better/faster cars out there, scoobies, evo's, tvr's etc... dont hear about them getting jacked, just golfs?????

·
Registered
593 Posts
imho they go for Golfs because there are a lot of them around. Knicking a Ferrai or something you would stand out like a sore thumb, where as, in a golf you are less distinguishable. Most of them are probably stolen to do robberies and stuff so with swapped regi plates (usually cloned) they will move about the city almost un-noticed.

My mate who lives in Salford has had his mk4 cloned several times now but it has never been touched.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Knicking a Ferrai or something you would stand out like a sore thumb, where as, in a golf you are less distinguishable. Most of them are probably stolen to do robberies and stuff so with swapped regi plates (usually cloned) they will move about the city almost un-noticed.
I can appreciate that yes, but in defence of my statement, who's gonna suspect you of being a thief anyway when you're driving a Ferrari?? When i see one i just think "rich git" i certainly don't think "That guy's nicked that car" And besides, let alone that, who would be able to catch you in one??

TBH, i think Scoobies and Evo's would make much better getaway cars!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Really worries me - my fiance often is around south Manchester in my golf, as am I (trafford and didsbury respectively) - I would hate for something to happen to her just because some little f'in scrote wants my car - as much as I love the car at the end of the day it is a piece of metal - luckily she keeps the doors locked.

Think the only thing to do is keep aware, and if any sign of trouble or people approaching the car, to floor it preferably at them!! - my philosophy is better them than you.

·
Registered
811 Posts
being a women i lock myself in the car as well, althought in kent ive not heard much about jacking down here its just car crime like waking up in the morning to find your wheels gone or window smashed and stereo gone, but iam more causious at night and if anyone tries to get into my car while iam at traffic lights i would be happy to run them down!!!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read bits and bobs about alarms that shut the car down if you've been jacked, Clifford seem to be a main one and then more discreet trackers etc.. Can anyone recommend one?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have clifford concept 600 with the Blacjax anti hi-jacking system, and i can say that it is the biggest pain in the ar$e, and that i have had it turned off for the past 5 years.  

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I also have a clifford with blackjax and i dont find it that much of a hinderance really, was at first just a case of getting used to it but now i am it`s fine and i wish i had had it sooner then some little toe rag would'nt of had a blast in my golf

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You have 2 buttons mine are mounted near petrol release button you use the star to enter a number and the other as the enter so say your code was 1234 you would press the star once then the enter then the star twice and enter and so on and that is done when you start up and also when a door is opened and closed this way if some one gets in and doesnt know the code they have 40 secs to try before the car shuts down and the alarm sounds as i said i am used to mine now and has become part of the norm

·
Registered
918 Posts
Many moons ago there was an imobiliser that had a radio signal in it's fob.  If you were near the car with the fob it automatically disabled the immonbiliser.  Once you were 10m away the car was immobilised.  As long as you kept the fob the car could not go further than 10m or so!  I expect they never caught on cause the batteries in the fob could run out if not attended to regularily.  But in therory this type of system would be the best.  Put the fob on the house keys and you'd never forget them.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
being a women i lock myself in the car as well, althought in kent ive not heard much about jacking down here its just car crime like waking up in the morning to find your wheels gone or window smashed and stereo gone, but iam more causious at night and if anyone tries to get into my car while iam at traffic lights i would be happy to run them down!!!
why dont you get the dealer to set the auto lock on the doors so that thes lock as soon as the car is going over 5 mph

·
Registered
742 Posts
this is why im happy driving my bora and with it being modified maybe theres less chance of it being jacked as it will really stand out and who wants a to steal a modified grandad car?!?!?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't buy Golf bits on e-bay. Stick to the reputable/ genuine suppliers.

Golfs are getting nicked and stripped for parts. MkIVs are becoming aspirational cars for the Max Power brigade. Loads of them want their 1.4 to look like a GTI. I can imagine that a stripped GTI can raise a fair amount of cash in parts.

Not just car jacking either was driving my car down the motorway last night and heard a strange banging from the front wing. It was my side repeater hanging by the wire. Looks like some low life had tried to take it but must have been distrubed in the process. Guy at work had his GTI badges taken recently as well.

I cant imagine how terrible it must be to be car jacked though. Perhaps the police need to start driving round in "trap" cars with an SAS unit in a van behind them. That would soon put a stop to it.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You have 2 buttons mine are mounted near
petrol release button you use the star to enter a
number and the other as the enter so say your code was 1234 you would
press the star once then the enter then the star twice and enter and so
on and that is done when you start up and also when a door is opened
and closed this way if some one gets in and doesnt know the code they
have 40 secs to try before the car shuts down and the alarm sounds as i
said i am used to mine now and has become part of the norm
So what happens to the owner who has just been carjacked at knife or gunpoint if the thief can't start the car??

Im not sure this is such a good idea for the situation we are reading about here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts