Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the story so far...

My Anni rims were replaced on 22/12/2004 - a few days before I picked the car up from the previous owner.

The wheels were checked by the warranty manager who agreed all 4 wheels were badly corroded and should be replaced so the new wheels were ordered on 20/12/2004 by Gilbert Lawton - Altrincham (stealer).

The previous owner took the Anni to the stealer on 22/12/2004, the old wheels were removed and the new ones were fitted - fine.

Now here is where the problem starts....

The stealer did not order new centre caps, instead they re-fitted the old ones. For some reason, these caps do not fit correctly and seems as though the threads are different. They can be screwed 1 turn but the cap does not sit flush with the wheel.

The mechanic who swapped the wheels agreed that 4 new caps would be required, the previous owner requested if these could be posted out to ME as he was selling the car in a few days, the stealer agreed and said it would not be a problem.

After the Xmas break I phoned Gilbert Lawton and ask if my caps have arrived and when they will be posted. I get told that the caps aren't covered under warranty. I said the issue is not corrosion (although they look discoloured compared to the new wheels) THE ISSUE IS THE CAPS DO NOT FIT MY NEW ALLOYS WHICH YOU REPLACED!

Stealer says they can't do anything as they need proof the caps are not right. I said i'm not prepared to drive some 100 miles to show you the caps again when the mechanic who replaced the wheels AGREED THAT 4 NEW CAPS ARE REQUIRED. He was unable to fit them so left them in the boot [:O]

I leave it with them for a few days and yesterday I finally receive a call from Gilbert Lawton. Looks like they are trying to pass their c0ckup to another dealer - they told me ANY STEALER will replace them just pop down to your local VW dealer who will inspect the caps and if found to be incorrect they will order you 4 new caps under warranty.

This morning I went to my local stealer and the service guy was quite helpful for a change. However, they will not replace the caps because Gilbert Lawton have already made a warranty claim on the wheels so my stealer will be unable to make another claim. He went outside to check the caps and confirmed they do not fit correctly.

So what shall I do, Gilbert Lawton won't replace them and my local stealer won't repalce them because a warranty claim has already been made on the wheels.

Are the caps supposed to be replaced when the alloys are replaced, surely they should because THEY ARE PART OF THE WHEEL, it seems as though Gilbert Lawton have failed to carry out the warranty work correctly.

Sorry for the long post but can anyone advise? Also, if some anni owners who have had their wheels replaced can you please get me the part number for a centre cap - I want to check if they are actually the right caps!

maybe my wheels are different, I don't know!

Sorry for the long post [:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What a male chickenup! Gilbert Lawton are obviously top of the league of [email protected] stealers! Just what is it with these muppets? They sound like a right bunch of jobsworth knobs!

Get a letter off to VW customer care naming and shaming these fools and hopefully they'll sort ya problem!

(Serves ya right I reckon for having a spanking new set of RC's[;)], me jealous....na,well only a little[:D])

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i had all 4 of my c caps replaced under warranty then later on i had 4 wheels and 1 c cap replaced under warranty so were is there problem they should just put a warranty claim in for 4 c caps

·
Registered
111 Posts
When i got my wheels replaced i didn't get center caps,But to tell the truth mine looked OK,Until i gor them back!one was bent and had obviously tried to be leavered off with a screwdriver by there monkey[}:)]They flattly denied it,I said i cleaned them a hour before and it wasn't damaged then!Had a big row with the manager to no avail.Stealers don't you love em[:(!]Anyway they cost ?40 each and i'll get the part number tomorrow for you if i can find it at home.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I got my center caps replaced under warranty. The stealer even managed to damage 2 of the caps while fitting and ended up ordering me another 2 - same monkey tactics as annidal72!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Swap them for my BBS caps [;)]

If you do manage to get another set Sem I will buy your old ones off you if they don't ask for them back(prodiving they fit!)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Right mate i have the cap infront of me just now to be honest when you look at it it's a pretty flimsy thread on it. i think if you screwed it on once on the wrong thread it would be knackered anyway the number on the metal part is 0929519 and on the plastic centre it is 1J0 601 149 AA good luck

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now we're getting somewhere....

Ther outside metal dish on my caps is 0923519.

If you remove the spring retainer and pull the VW badge out you can see the part number for the threaded part. Mine is 0924383 - THIS IS THE PART I'M EXPECTING TO BE INCORRECT?

1j0 601 149 AA is actually the part number for the badge.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Slightly OT but can the badge in the middle be replaced? ie I can buy just the VW logo instead of a complete new cap ?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Seriously, I sometimes think these IDIOTS at the dealers just get off on messing people about.

Sem, how bout you contact the seller of the car, and get him to pop in and have a word to see if he can sort it.

The amazing thing is, if it was a car you were trying to px, they would knock it down cos of no caps, or bad fitting ones, and yet they will tell you there is basically nothing they can do for it!

Fools. A solicitior's letter may hasten the result!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by Giddy on 08/01/2005 22:25:26

Slightly OT but can the badge in the middle be replaced? ie I can buy just the VW logo instead of a complete new cap ?

Looking at the ETKA diagram above I don't think it can be, the cap is sold as a complete unit even though it is made of up several individual components.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ask your local dealer nicely to write a quick note confirming that they do not fit. Then send that in a letter explaining your concern, mentioning that one of their own mechanics have seen this problem. Send this to the organ grinder at the dealership rather than the monkey.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well after 4 weeks of constant phone calls to Gilbert Lawton and VW UK customer services I finally received 4 brand spanking new centre caps today, and guess what....they fit perfectly [:)]

I have compared them against the old caps and they look identical, same part numbers and everything so teh fitment issue sure is strange.

So if anyone else has this issue...THE CAPS ARE AT FAULT!

The stealer put a note in the package saying if I don't return the old caps for them to process the warranty claim then I will be charged for the parts....how exactly can they do that?

Might just hang on to them for a while and see what happens...they messed me about so now its my turn [:D]

I'm sure I could get a good price for them on ebay [:D]

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote: posted by Sem on 22/01/2005 22:08:55

The stealer put a note in the package saying if I don't return the old caps for them to process the warranty claim then I will be charged for the parts....how exactly can they do that?

Might just hang on to them for a while and see what happens...they messed me about so now its my turn [:D]

I'm sure I could get a good price for them on ebay [:D]

Damn right! Give those fools as much grief as possible. Odds are they'll forget anyway. Might be worth hangin on to them for a while though just in case.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wondering what they mean when they say i'll be charged.....they don't have my card details or anything?

Reckon they will probably invoice me for them? lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
why dont you fill a little box with packaging, rip it so it looks like its been opened by the mail man and send it to em? do it registered and they cant say they didnt get it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts