Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought some annivesary suspension from flea bay and to be quite honest I suspect it is not an Anniversary set up.

The front springs have colour markings of red white white and the rears have white red red (from what I can make out)

They are from a deisel anni and the thing that worries me is up against my petrol gti the springs from the anni are much longer.

Please look at pictures below, or is this correct being a deisel version that I bought?

Or have I been led up the garden path so to speak?

Posted Image

The rears, anni is on the left the gti on the right

Posted Image

The fronts, anni is on the right this time and gti is on the left

Posted Image

The 2 on the left are anni the next 2 are gti the one on right is anni.

hope this all makes sense and some quick responses would be great as I will need to contact seller if these are not genuine.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't see any on the springs, but on the shocks,

Rears 1JO 515 011 AA HM 200 B or 1JO 515 025 CD VWA 1JA

Can't read the ones on the front shocks.

My GTi shocks seem to match a 35mm drop spring except the after market has more coils at one end on the rears, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have just noticed as well when I push down on the front shock the rod goes in but does not come out again unless pulled/helped.

Surely this is not right?

I think I may have to try claim money back through paypal for this one. [:(]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that, have since opened a dispute through Paypal as front shocks are shot they do not come back out when pushed in at all.

He is claiming it's Royal Mail's fault so claim against them, not sure how I can though, he paid for standard parcel dleivery surely it's down to the seller to make sure items are well packaged and arrive safely and to claim against Royal Mail if not.

PS if anyone can give any more advice / info it would be much appreciatted.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Sorry can't help with whether the springs are the right part or not but it always creases me up to see how long the OEM rear springs are when uncompressed and compared to aftermarket jobs.

As for the Royal Mail causing the lack of damper rebound, erm, boxxols mate, unless they are visibly bent, cracked or damaged. These things hold up the weight of a car, my opinion would be that they are just shot and hence the sale. I'd personally never buy used suspension unless I knew the history and the mileage was very, very low.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again.

I am thinking of keeping my Spax SHortened shocks on the car and putting the original GTi prings back on would this still be ok.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Should be OK but you're really best off fitting decent quality matched, shorter/stiffer progressive rate sports springs. They're not that expensive in the scheme of things [Y]

·
Registered
906 Posts
Will the anniversary springs not be longer cause the tdi engine is heavier than the petrol?

My mate had mk2 springs in his mk2 which didn't last long cause he needed mk3 springsf or the is car is running the VR engine. Just an example

Tam

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Longer would normally mean softer - as each extra winding on the coil adds compliance. I would imagine a spring should be thicker and hence stiffer to accommodate extra weight?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should be OK but you're really best off fitting decent quality matched, shorter/stiffer progressive rate sports springs. They're not that expensive in the scheme of things [Y]
Thanks again, at the moment I have the following set up

Spax Shortened Shocks

Spax 45mm drop springs

The ride is a bit to harsh for my liking and I seem to feel every single bump

I was hoping by keeping the short shocks and fitting the normal Gti springs it may solve this ?

Or any other ideas would be appreciatted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will the anniversary springs not be longer cause the tdi engine is heavier than the petrol?

My mate had mk2 springs in his mk2 which didn't last long cause he needed mk3 springsf or the is car is running the VR engine. Just an example

Tam
I think it's now more the fact the front shocks do not spring back out again when pushed in.

And Paypal are as much use as a chocolate teapot in the sahara!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Longer would normally mean softer - as each extra winding on the coil adds compliance. I would imagine a spring should be thicker and hence stiffer to accommodate extra weight?
Thanks for clearing that up shiuming

Tam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts