Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To wind me up even more I've had to type this twice as when I posted it the first time it said that I hadn't filled everything in and I should hit the back button. I DID AND EVERYTHING HAD GONE.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but it has really wound me up

I?ll begin at the start as this is a bit long.

After ordering my GTi I spent the time waiting for it to arrive smiling and surfing this forum and was therefore well aware that after going for the armrest I should get a bottle opener. On the day I went to collect the car low and behold no bottle opener so told the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">sales</st1:personName>man who said ?he?d order me one straight away?.

The bottle opener never appeared so I went back in to enquire where it was. Unfortunately it was the <st1:personName w:st="on">sales</st1:personName>man?s day off so I told the receptionist who would pass on the message and get things sorted.

Nothing happened again so I went in a third time. Caught the <st1:personName w:st="on">sales</st1:personName>man outside and reminded him about this and he said he was ?sorry and that it must have got lost in the post? and that he?d ?order one straight away?.

Of course again the bottle opener never appears so I went in for a fourth time. The <st1:personName w:st="on">sales</st1:personName>man was on holiday but I had 2 very helpful <st1:personName w:st="on">sales</st1:personName>people who searched in desks and even got the keys for all the new deliveries and searched through them. One of them even confirmed that the bottle openers were being taken out of the cars at the docks by the light fingered drivers. They said they?d ?pass the message on and get the <st1:personName w:st="on">sales</st1:personName>man to order one?. I should have seen what was coming but unfortunately I?m quite laid back and went with the flow.

The other week the door seal decided to fall off the passenger door so I booked the car in for repair and whilst I was there told the receptionist about things. She said that ?I was complaining to the wrong person but she?d put a note on the system for the <st1:personName w:st="on">sales</st1:personName>man to look at this and see me when I came in?.

I took the car in today but unfortunately missed the <st1:personName w:st="on">sales</st1:personName>man so when I went to pick it up I spent time waiting. He was with some customers so waited 30 minutes to see him. When he broke away he said that ?the manager had said that they didn?t come with the car but I could buy one for ?20?. I said that ?I had ordered the armrest so it was standard and it showed it in the manual?. He went away and 10 minutes later comes back saying that they?d ?been on the phone to VW who said that the car shouldn?t come with the bottle opener?. I pointed out that the cup holder was useless without the bottle opener and that it definitely showed it in the manual. He goes back in the office and 10 minutes later comes out (looked in the office and could see him and the manager looking through some kind of manual) again saying that VW had said that I shouldn?t have one. I then told him that I knew of people who had received their cars at the same time as me and did have a bottle opener, that this was the 5th time of asking and I was only now being told that I couldn?t have it and that when I had come in before his colleagues and told me about them going missing at the docks. He said that ?he had been told by VW that I shouldn?t have one?. I asked ?how should use the cup holder? to which he replied ?just put a cup in it?. Whilst I was waiting I?d looked in one of the cars with an armrest to check for a bottle opener (none present) so showed him how it was useless with out the bottle opener. He basically agreed but said ?that he couldn?t give me one because VW said that it wasn?t standard on 2006 models?. I asked him ?whether my car delivered in May 2005 was a 2006 model?? and he replied ?yes?. At this point I was getting nowhere and had been in the showroom over an hour. I said that ?I wasn?t going to waste anymore time over a ?20 bottle opener that I was supposed to get with the ?25k car I had bought and that quite frankly he was taking the piss?. I then walked out.

I?m about to ring VW customer care but can anyone give me some ammo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a bottle opener with my GT TDi - built August / September time and delivered end of September.

But I agree that you should stand your ground and get what it rightly shown as being part of the deal.

Good luck

Fudge

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Matt,

I agree with you - your dealer's talking cr*p and taking the urine. Your salesman was right the first time - they are being nicked somewhere between the production line and the showroom. Based on checking ebay, I think they may well be being nicked by the uk distributors or people in the dealerships themselves. Sames goes for the the pouch with the 1 litre of longlife oil you are supposed to get - check out ebay again for the number of these being sold.

Its not worth ?20 mate - its a small piece of polished aluminium - However, I think you should be entitled to it free when purchasing a ?25k car. For the record (although I got my GT TDi with armrest in Mar 04), my bottle opener was missing when it was delivered , I kicked up a stink and one was produced - ditto the longlife oil pouch.

Hope you get somewhere with VW UK customer service. Best of luck,

Cheers,

Harry

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ring the 'Dealer Principal' first to tell him you will be contacting Paul Willis at customer care.  I bet you get you missing bottle opener within a day.  Good luck with the door seal I am on number 6 at the moment.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
What a load of cr*p.

If that dealer had the slightest idea of customer service they would order you one at their expense to keep you happy.

I would phone VW customer care and get the story from them. I would also write a letter to the dealer principal, copied to VW to complain.

When I picked up my car the sales guy had it with the keys. He said he was "keeping it safe, as they go missing"

I can't believe that you don't get them with the cars. These would cost less than ?1 to produce, charging ?20 for one is a diesgrace.

Keep your eye out on Ebay for one at a couple of quid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got a bottle open in a Euro Import car I took delivery of in November 05.

When I collected the car the broker (company owner) said "the bottle opener has been nicked by someone at the docks, but I've taken one out of another car for you". He went on to say this was aways happening and it was a real pain in the neck because he had to keep getting hold of replacements ?12 a go.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your car might not even be a 2006 model either.... Mine was delivered in June 05 and that was built a couple of weeks before I received it - that was a 2005 model. If you've got a beesting aerial then it's a 2006 model (assuming you haven't got factory sat nav) - better still check the middle of you VIN number to look for a 5 (2005) or a 6 (2006).

The salesman is talking cobblers anyway - it shouldn't matter whether it's 2005 or 2006 model year -if you've got the armrest then the opener comes with it. I wouldn't give that dealership the steam off my pi$$ in the future - you've just spent ?25K and they're arguing about ?20 (they're treating no better than someone whose bought a ?150 banger).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bottle opener included with my mine,delivered October 21 and 2006 model.

Telephone your dealer and your talk to the MD( try to find out his name first) and inform him that you will be contacting both VW uk and also Germany direct to complain about their disgusting attitude and you want it sorted at once,you can also tell him you will contact your local trading standards too.

This dealer sounds an !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ring the 'Dealer Principal' first to tell him you will be contacting Paul Willis at customer care. I bet you get you missing bottle opener within a day. Good luck with the door seal I am on number 6 at the moment.
OK, I can't hold back any longer and must declare my ignorance. But what is 'Dealer Principal' please.

[:$][:$]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The 'Dealer Principal or 'Dealership Principal' is a modern term for the most senior member of staff in a car dealership (or retailer as VW now call them). We used to call them the manager but of course today everyone is a manager.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The 'Dealer Principal or 'Dealership Principal' is a modern term for the most senior member of staff in a car dealership (or retailer as VW now call them). We used to call them the manager but of course today everyone is a manager.
Thanks for that. I'll now know whom to ask for when I get really irate with my VW dealership, should the event arise.

[:)]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
mmmm chester le street... i wounder where that came from, big docks up here in the north east where alot of the cars come in.. also several large dealers [:mad:]

My car came with one, built feb 05, the salesman even pointed it out when i picked the car up saying it hadnt been stolen etc

HOWEVER can i point out in the new brochure on vw.co.uk it says you get front centre armrest with storage compartment and 2 rear cup holders... no mention of the front cup holders or bottle opener any more!!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
HOWEVER can i point out in the new brochure on vw.co.uk it says you get front centre armrest with storage compartment and 2 rear cup holders... no mention of the front cup holders or bottle opener any more!!
Chris, I don't think the brochures have ever mentioned the bottle opener. The price list I have from 4/2/4 says:

"Front centre armrest, with storage compartment, two rear airvents and cupholders"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not had chance to formulate my plan but action one and two are:

1. Dont take my car to them other than waranty claims.

2. Don't allow any of our employees with company cars to buy them or take them for fixing there.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'd be going to the dealer armed with a drink and prove to them that the cupholders are completely and utterly useless without the bottle opener, you may as well rest the drink on the armrest while driving, the end result would be the same.

It may only be ?20 for one, but there are many cheap items on the car that you'd be peed off if there were not there, cigarette lighter, dust caps, petrol cap, washer fluid cap etc, what would they do if any of those were missing, make you pay for a new one?

Go in there on a busy day with lots of potential customers and cause a bloody fuss until you get your bottle opener!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts