Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Anniversary wont go into reverse

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Milkfloat 
#1 ·
My anniversary wont go into reverse. The linkages are all out of place. A customer service guy came and tried everythin to get it to work but it wont and apparently it need the linkages reset using these pins. All other gears are fine. Has this happened to anyone else before. Off to Vw in mornin and am gonna leave it with them. Ollie

#6 ·
Follow the adjustment procedure in the Dieselgeek short-shift installation instructions;

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Ultrasixinstall.htm

As you are not installing the shifter, the process is simple - you just need a 4" nail! Work on a cold car.

• Remove the leather boot from the gear lever in the cabin (press the front and rear of the plastic trim towards each other and lift).
  • Lift the bonnet.
  • With the car in neutral, lock the gearbox as per instructions.
  • Loosen the cable ends.
  • In the cabin, lock the gear lever in place with the nail.
  • Wiggle the cable ends to ensure no kinks/snags and re-fasten.
  • Unlock gearbox.
  • Remove nail.
  • Go for a drive!
  • If all OK, refit gearlever boot.

All that should work, and may tempt you to buy a Dieselgeek short-shifter - I can recommend it.[:D]

#7 ·
Reflex Tdi is that a common problem with anniversarys not going in reverse. I Just drove it from my house in northwood to Citygate Ruslip and in forward gears it perfect it just wont go in reverse. The reverse lights wont come on so its obviously not clicking in to place. Hopefully They will be able to sort it. The service assistance guy mentioned the re alligning pins lets hope it just that. So nervous. Really want it back already only dropped it off 25 mins ago.

Ollie

#9 ·
Reflex Tdi is that a common problem with anniversarys not going in reverse. I Just drove it from my house in northwood to Citygate Ruslip and in forward gears it perfect it just wont go in reverse. The reverse lights wont come on so its obviously not clicking in to place. Hopefully They will be able to sort it. The service assistance guy mentioned the re alligning pins lets hope it just that. So nervous. Really want it back already only dropped it off 25 mins ago.

Ollie
To my knowledge it is not a common problem, but I know that the adjustment procedure I outlined has helped many people who have had gear s election problems. As I have installed a number of short shift kits I am familiar with the procedure.

However, I am not a mechanic and the VW garage seem to have diagnosed something more serious. I hope for your sake you get this resolved.

#11 ·
Now i just been told that they are 99.9% sure its the shafter if so it should be ready tommorrow night. They will have part in tommorrow. The reason why it makes sense is due to the fact that the gear stick doesnt sit straight since it started not going in to reverse. It was sitting more at an angle as if it was in gear instead of neutral. Lets all hope its that and i will have car back tommorrow. Thanks all for help!Ollie

#15 ·
Right I now have car back and it was the gear shift. I am now trying to get Vw uk to contribute and it looks like i am gettting somehwhere. At the moment i have paid the ?600 but i also have Rac warrenty so either way i should get it back. Just to let u know CITYGATE RUSLIP are the best dealers i have ever been to. Thanks all for your help. Ollie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.