Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could people please post their ideas on how to keep anniversary wheels up to scratch (sorry bad word). What you find best to use and what to aviod....like wire wool for instance!

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
this could be of use?

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/477225/ShowPost.aspx

obviously no to the wire wool......

and use non acidic wheel cleaners......

as you are aware these anni wheels are notorious for corrosion, so you dont want to help them on their way.

Definitly keep a coating of wax on them at all times, so after a mega cleaner with virosol, some othe degreaser type thing, re wax/seal them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a halfords store have things like this in stock? Or do i need to go to somewhere like Parkers? Can anyone recommend some products for me to get?

Thanks for your replys.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a similar conversation with Shaq this week: This is copied from our conversation.......

It is also strongly advised not to use any strong acidic based wheel cleaners, this covers most that are on the market! (ie Autoglym alloy cleaner).

Virosol is well posted as being the best cleaner for our 'delicate' wheels. The only other which I have heard of people using is meguairs wheel cleaner which is suitable for all types of wheels.

The good thing about Virosol is it actually saves you shed loads of cash! for ?4.98 you can get a 6 litre bottle! you do have pnp on top of that but I think I paid about ?13 in total, and it lasts for bloody ages! Its actually designed for cleaning floors, but some bright spark decided to try it on alloy wheels, and it works!

I bought mine from http://www.olympiccleaning.com/, a direct link doesn't work, but if you click 'chemicals' on the left, then scroll down to citrous cleaners, then half way down you will see Virosol.

Looks like this:

As I said before, I don't use this every time I clean my wheels. Because the wheels have the shiny finish, the dirt tends not to stick to them as much anyway and soap and water will usually suffice. But when I need to shift some brake dust, tar or general crap, I use this watered down with a wonder wheels brush (soft bristle type).

Once clean I then use Poorboys wheel wax. I wax my wheels about once every 3 weeks, and just make sure I was them every week. People have said poorboys wheel wax is no different to any other wax, but I like the poorboys wax and it seems to aid cleaning.

Check my post out I did last week from when I went all guns blazing and took my wheels off....check out the bling!

400)this.width=400;" border=0>

400)this.width=400;" border=0>

Hope this helps...Tom

·
Registered
792 Posts
I asked serious performance what would be best for my a8's, he recommended the p21 wheel cleaner, as it isnt acid based or anything, I'm waiting on delivery, so I'll let you know if its any good.

Had to shelve my wonder wheels as I think it will probably strip the laquer off my replicas[;)]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent, cheers for that stunt, the second i get paid...im on the net buying some of that, im still strapped for cash, from my last pay that helped pay for the car, so i havent had a chance to get anything for it! As soon as it arrives im gonna get the wheels off and give them a proper good clean! It breaks my heart, on a sunday, when i go to wash the car n see the wheels looking filthy!lol!!!!!

Thanks again Tom,

Dan

And as soon as ive done that ill post some pics!

·
Registered
301 Posts
If your callipers were pink like mine....it is worth using a bit of paint restorer and wax while the wheels are off...mine are now red and shiny. didn't take much effort to get them back up to scratch.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I asked serious performance what would be best for my a8's, he recommended the p21 wheel cleaner, as it isnt acid based or anything, I'm waiting on delivery, so I'll let you know if its any good.
The P21S wheel cleaner is very good, I used it last year & had very good results. Its money well spent.[Y]

I would only use hot water & a quality shampoo myself on those wheels, & a regular coat of Poor Boys wheel sealant will help keep the dust at bay too.

If you must use a "wheel cleaner" look towards the Meguiars range, I believe these are "approved" by BBS for use on that type of finish.

This is a small write up on the Poor Boys wheel sealant[8-|]

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/477225/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
792 Posts
I cleaned the the missus new clio today, used wonder wheels one side, p21s the other side.

there was loads of burnt on brake dust, came straight off with wonder wheels, p21s didnt shift any of it, waste of money I thought.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ordered my Virosol, off the net today, so this weekend is the big clean! Im planning on taking off the wheels one by one, and cleaning them. I understand that i need to mix the Virosol with 1 part to 10 parts water. Do i clean with shampoo, rinse, then re-clean with virosol via. a spray can and a non abrasive brush?

Ta.

Dan

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Nah, you dilute it for normal usage, but just apply it neat to your wheels - it's strong but won't do your wheels any harm at all.

You might want to get yourself one of those pressurised bottles from a garden center too, they make it really easy to apply a fine mist. You know the ones with a pump action top?? kinda like this

Mike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, ta. So you're saying use it on the paint work diluted? Then neat on the wheels? Or am i talking balls?

Yeah i was gonna pop down to the local nursery and get one of those lol!

Cheers Mike.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Noooooo! it's a degreaser, so it'll strip all the wax off your car - you need to be careful with it near your paint.

Just use it on your wheels or in your arches and stuff to shift serious muck - although saying that, it's perfect for a deep clean if you're planning on claybarring the car and re-applying sealant & wax. I had this done on mine and you should have seen the muck it dragged out of all the nooks and crannies!!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Ordered my Virosol, off the net today, so this weekend is the big clean! Im planning on taking off the wheels one by one, and cleaning them. I understand that i need to mix the Virosol with 1 part to 10 parts water. Do i clean with shampoo, rinse, then re-clean with virosol via. a spray can and a non abrasive brush?

Ta.

Dan
i think you'll be disappointed with the virosol....i was

it didnt really do anything.

megs wheel brightner is good though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i recieved my Virosol today through the post at work, so im set for saturday, just need to know what people recommend for sealant, is the poor boys stuff any good? If not could you suggest anything else?

Cheers for all your comments guys.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right, so tried to do my wheels on Saturday, but due to other things to do, and trying to get one of the centre caps off, decided id get up early on Sunday. Up early on Sunday...jack dont work......balls, rang my borther to see if he had one, he did, said he would bring it round in half an hour, 3 hours later, hes still not round, so had to pick it up my self, after all that, the jack was crap! Took ages to jack up the car, but got it off in the end, but after all the delays, only had time to do 2, the front ones, which is better than just doing the rear ones i guess! But anyway, took a quick picture of one of them on my phone before i went football training. So what do you rekon?

Posted Image

1 - 18 of 18 Posts