Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am after some advice because I have a tough decision to make about my anniversary wheels.Currently I have the original wheels with original finish which 'were' great until they started to corrode [:'(] This still spoils the finish of the car and I need to get them sorted out.

VW have agreed to replace under warranty, but with a 'satin silver' finish; which is the same as many other anni owners. It is well documented on here that the finish of these replacements wheels is very dissapointing and I don't want to put them on and then regret not doing something now while I have the chance.

Therefore my options are:

1: Before fitting the new wheels, send the replacements away to be painted in a finish similar to what SEM, Reflextdi have. they have painted their wheels in a black chrome finish...I do like this finish but I am not sure if they will look right on a Silver car?

Out of the following which do you think would look best?

This is a high powder silver...and looks pretty good to me!

HIGH POWER SILVER alloy wheel refurbs

Or a Black Chrome Finish

Mirror Finish...these will look too bling I think?

Also what are BMW 19" M3 wheels painted with?? is it a high powder silver finish?

2: Buy some original BBS RC alloys ( I have seen some on offer for 600quid). Does anybody know how the original finish compares to the VW refurbs I am supposed to be getting. Will they just look the same? If the original BBS wheels are better (as in pic below), I could buy some new alloys and then sell the alloys VW are replacing.

Be good to know what people think as I really can't make my mind up what the heck to do!

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
OK Tom, as you know, Sem and I looked into this in some detail when we had our wheels done.

Firstly, there is no point having VW replace your corroded wheels under warranty - the refurber is going to blast them back to metal in any event. I had mine changed to the Satin Silver painted finish and it was dull and uninteresting. I was going to put up with it until I lost the car on some mud and smacked a kerb, requiring 2 refurbs and front suspension rebuild [:mad:]

The graphite M5 style finish is achieved in a 2 part process - the bare wheel is sparayed dark gunmetal. Then a bright "high powder" silver paint is blown over it. It's called "180" as this is the density of silver and is the brightest paint that can be used (except for that chrome effect). The amount of paint used governs the finish, so the BMW alloy in the picture has a low amount of silver paint to allow the darker colour to shine through. Mine use a lot more silver so I don't think they look "graphite", but the darker colur does highlight the spokes well and helps it look more like an OEM wheel than one painted in a single shade.

My wheel man tells me that the chrome paint is naff (I agree) and also unlikely to last well so you are back where you started.

The 19" M3 wheel is diamond cut then lacquered, and the inside of the spokes is painted gunmetal. Those wheels also corrode just like Anniversary ones do!

Buying normal RC's is not a solution - they are 8J and the Anniversary wheels are 7.5J.

The only other solution is ball burnishing with a powder coat on top - at least ?100 a corner and some uncertainty over durability.

So I think the "black chrome" with more silver paint is the acceptable compromise for long term ownership.

You've seen my car and Sems at the Awesome dyno in January - I can't host pics at the moment but could email them - no good taking new ones are the car is filthy!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your comments....much appreciated

James...I took my car because 'I thought' warranty would replace using OEM finish...obviouly this was not the case as people have told me in the past...was worth a try though..if you don't ask you don't get!

I agree with you in terms of there is no point VW replacing my corroded wheels, but..... I have no other wheels to put on my car while my current wheels are being replaced. What I was thinking, was if VW will allow me to take the wheels once they come in and I will get them painted before they get fitted to my car. Therefore, I wouldn't have to pay for some steelies and mess around paying extra to take the tyres on/off my current alloys.

If I had mine done in this black/chrome effect I would definitley want the lightest finish they could achieve as I am not too keen on them dark BMW MV alloys.

I also agree the chrome paint looks naff.....that's unless your name is Puff Daady or Snoop Doggy Dog!

I still like this High Powder Silver finish as in first pic...which does actually say chrome/black effect...see http://www.sweeneysherlock.co.uk/alloy2.htm

I guess this is very light which is perfect for what I want. Maybe your wheels are more like this, I can't remember to be honest when I saw them at Awsome RR day???

I would be very grateful if you could send me over some pics by e-mail ([email protected])

Thanks for your help James...much appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are VW allowing you to keep the original corroded wheels? Thought they would have taken them and sent them back to warranty dept.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No VW will want my old wheels back for sure, but hopefully I can delay fitting the refurbs while I send them off to get painted. Once they are painted in a finish as above,, I can get them fitted at VW as I would have done before and return my original wheels to VW warranty.

Tom

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Tom

That finish is what I have, but like I say, they've gone as bright as they could do, so it's not very graphite.

I have a spare set of 17" wheels I use for the track, with road legal tyres. You're welcome to borrow them while your wheels are being refurbished. Saves a lot of bother.

Just to clarify, VW stopped replacing wheels with new BBS ones and instead have refurbished old wheels taken in under warranty with a paint finish - these are what you are now supplied with under warranty - amd there is no option to retain or buy back your salvage wheels as these are recycled into the warranty programme.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your offer of borrowing your wheels. I will see if VW will let me get my replacements painted first before they fit them, then it will save me the hassel of faffing around with spare wheels. It will also save me money.

Thanks again for your help..

Tom

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Stunt,

we have two anni's at our house and are on the 3rd set of rims on both, the satin silver ones that are on my girlfriends black anni look absolute pants and spoil a good performance classic vehicle. My silver anni still has the factory ball burnished items on but one rim has a large flake of laquer missing, i have put in another claim under the replacement warranty but they have said that rather than replace the one polished alloy there are more likely to replace the whole complete set of four with flat silver ones !!!! Hardly cost effective and even though i said they would be for summer use only we are still in debate and waiting to make progress.

If i need to have mine refurbed off my own back i will go for a repolish and clear plastic coating, purely because the OEM finish looks absolute class.

Regards

Simon

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi guys,

Like everyone with an Anni, we are in the same boat. The wheels on ours are just getting worse now. Not as bad as some, but getting worse all the time, so I've been keeping a keen eye on these refurb posts.

I like the "high powder silver" finish shown in Stunts post.

Stunt (or anyone) where can I get that done?

To me it looks the best compromise between VW's dull refurb, and the beautiful original finish. :( God it makes me pig-sick that we are going to have to eventually loose that original finish. Its so frustrating.

AL

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I had mine done by Spit & Polish via my mate's tyre dealing business - this ended up over budget @ ?280 but I'm happy with the end result. http://www.spitandpolish.co.uk/

Sem and I checked out BJV Engineering in Herts and they will do this for ?41+VAT a wheel www.wheelrefurbishing.com and I don't think you will find cheaper. We found them helpful and we were shown around the workshop and saw plenty of wheels that looked great.

I was looking at my (dirty) wheels today and thought how they looked pretty good. Whilst not quite as stunning as the OEM finish a blind man would be glad to tell the difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow the examples from BJV Engineering look good too.

Thanks for the link.

Anyone got a gallery of pics, with OEM vs Black Chrome / Power Silver ?

What is "diamond cut" ? Seems to look very shiny, almost chrome, again similar to OEM. Are there any problems with having the wheels "diamond cut" ?
ANSWER: Looked further on BJV web-site, apparently with diamond cutting, lacquer is sprayed on afterwards, and if chipped, corrosion starts again, so we'd be back to square 1.

Cheers

AL

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Wow the examples from BJV Engineering look good too.

Thanks for the link.

Anyone got a gallery of pics, with OEM vs Black Chrome / Power Silver ?

What is "diamond cut" ? Seems to look very shiny, almost chrome, again similar to OEM. Are there any problems with having the wheels "diamond cut" ?
ANSWER: Looked further on BJV web-site, apparently with diamond cutting, lacquer is sprayed on afterwards, and if chipped, corrosion starts again, so we'd be back to square 1.

Cheers

AL
Al

Some pics of my car with the "black chrome" refurbs in this Members Rides thread http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/440537.aspx

WHOOPS EDIT: just forgot the pictures are no longer hosted.[:$] PM me your email address and I will oblige.

Diamond cut - you are correct about lacquer, but more importantly that process is unsuitable for BBS RC as it is where the flat facing of a wheel is cut when the wheel is spun, so it works well on styles like TT Comps, M3 19"'s, Santa Monicas etc.

James

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi everyone,

Been looking at the BJV and SweenySherlock web-sites, and been in touch with SweenySherlock via email.

It turns out SweenySherlock can't do the power silver finish in a 24hr turn around, it takes about 4-5 days. When I asked where the car would be stored during this time, they basically said they can't house the car. So its wheels off the car jobby and take them down.

So wheres the best place to get some cheap steel wheels from? What sizes are available? Are they 15" or 16" as standard on some golfs/bora's? Will I need new nuts? ;-) hahaha

AL

PS: Thanks to James for supplying me with extra pics of the power-silver/black chrome finish.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hiya,

Keep meaning to post pictures of the wheels I went with in the end!

I basically didn't want to spend vast amounts of dough (simply because I didn't have it a the time!)

My anni is under warranty, and I had my wheels replaced by VW. It is well known that they are BBS refurbs, and I viewed them before they were fitted. I have seen other examples of the replacement wheels and these seemed much better than what I'd seen before when I wen to see them. I also bought a brand new set of original shiny centre caps, which look much better than the painted ones.

This was the result:

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h48/laney456/?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yay! VW have obviously switched spec on the refurb following a "lukewarm" response from owners.

They look great, and unlike my re-refurns, cost you nowt! [Y]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts