Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then chaps & chapesses!!

Got a clio-sport at the mo; but decided I need something which doesn't break so often [:mad:](french tat)!! Time to go german!

It's basically between an Anniversary and a 4motion (open to other reasonable suggestions).

Can anyone offer some advice? positives, negatives, war stories, tuning potential etc?

Cheers guys (n girlz)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
welcome - petrol Anni I assume ? A 4mo will be heavy on fuel consumption
welcome aswell , i agree the 4mo is lets say its got a lot from stock power and fun to drive , but then theres the weight of it and how much it drinks , oh and moding works out more expensive , but still worth it [:D]

where as the anniversary , has a lot less from stock , good running costs and cheaper to mode than a 4mo

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah! Definately petrol. Can't deal with a 'chugga chugga'! Diesels are getting better, but until they sort out the noise...petrol for me!

Heard 4motions were a bit thirsty, but with a tasteful exhaust, the 6 gives a great noise!!! and for the money you save by buying the v6, you could charge it up to 280 ponies! but maintenance and looks are still an issue!

BUT anniversary seems to be unanimous. How much to go how fast? 220 or more at the fly would be nice? (Need to feel a difference from the 172.) or is going that high gonna jeopardise reliability?

Cheers for the replies people! much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Oh yeah! Definately petrol. Can't deal with a 'chugga chugga'! Diesels are getting better, but until they sort out the noise...petrol for me!

Heard 4motions were a bit thirsty, but with a tasteful exhaust, the 6 gives a great noise!!! and for the money you save by buying the v6, you could charge it up to 280 ponies! but maintenance and looks are still an issue!
by charge I guess you mean supercharge ? Lots of money !! But your choice. I know what you mean about the diesel noise but mine will match a standard 225 bhp Imprezza in 4th gear for 50-70 ( 3.9s ) - depends on what tikkles your fancy

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

by charge I guess you mean supercharge ? Lots of money !! But your choice. I know what you mean about the diesel noise but mine will match a standard 225 bhp Imprezza in 4th gear for 50-70 ( 3.9s ) - depends on what tikkles your fancy
But wouldn't the scoob driver still be in 3rd gear......if it was in 4th then it's not even trying. Doesn't mean anything unless your point is about engine flexibility.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
yes, my point is flexibility - my car would be in 3rd too if I wanted to "try" - I was just trying to say don't rule out the torque of a diesel - especially when re-mapped

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, my point is flexibility - my car would be in 3rd too if I wanted to "try" - I was just trying to say don't rule out the torque of a diesel - especially when re-mapped
I totally agree. You can't beat diesel torque.......but it don't last long!!

Not dissin, just not my cup 'o tea!

Cheers for the posts people! Much appreciated. Goin for the anni! [:D]

·
Registered
60 Posts
welcome mate, it has 2 be the Anniversary, my mate has 1 and its looks mint they stand out more than the 4motion but its wot u can aford tho u cant go wrong with either [:)]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
welcome aswell , i agree the 4mo is lets say its got a lot
from stock power and fun to drive , but then theres the weight of
it and how much it drinks , oh and moding works out more expensive ,
but still worth it [:D]
180BHP 1.8Ts are pretty thirsty too (especially if you remap it), and
the V6 is nowhere near as bad as everyone thinks - maybe 5MPG worse
off. The engine note is one of the best out there at any price, I still
miss it myself. The 4WD also means you simply never lose traction
- getting used to the BMW after a Bora V6 4Mo took me a few days of
serious wheel spin...

Id go V6 every time

·
Registered
639 Posts
Right...just my opinion:

Anni...

Good points:

- Looks stunning (18" BBS RC's, Votex kit, Silver interior trim, anni exclusive bits, smoked headlamps)

- 180bhp 1.8T plant

- Rare

- Will hardly depreciate

Bad Points:

- BBS wheels likely to have lacquer problems if they don't already (and VW are a bit slack replacing them)

- More liable to theft/vandalism?

- Can absolutely drink petrol (especially if you chip/map it as someone said)

- Will most likely be more expensive option compared to 4motion as they retain value well (looking at 11k plus)

4motion

Good Points:

- 4WD, loads of grip etc etc

- Looks subtle and understated...4motion exclusive bits like dual exhaust, front and rear valances, 16" Brands Hatch wheels

- Nice interior (if wood trim is your thing)

- 2.8 V6 - lovely engine/exhaust sound and obviously quick

Bad Points:

- Drinks petrol

- Bit more common than the anni

Overall I'd go for the 4motion. You can get them at good prices now and is one of the, if not THE best 4wd car for the money.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Right...just my opinion:

Anni...

Good points:

- Looks stunning (18" BBS RC's, Votex kit, Silver interior trim, anni exclusive bits, smoked headlamps)

- 180bhp 1.8T plant

- Rare

- Will hardly depreciate

Bad Points:

- BBS wheels likely to have lacquer problems if they don't already (and VW are a bit slack replacing them)

- More liable to theft/vandalism?

- Can absolutely drink petrol (especially if you chip/map it as someone said)

- Will most likely be more expensive option compared to 4motion as they retain value well (looking at 11k plus)

4motion

Good Points:

- 4WD, loads of grip etc etc

- Looks subtle and understated...4motion exclusive bits like dual exhaust, front and rear valances, 16" Brands Hatch wheels

- Nice interior (if wood trim is your thing)

- 2.8 V6 - lovely engine/exhaust sound and obviously quick

Bad Points:

- Drinks petrol

- Bit more common than the anni

Overall I'd go for the 4motion. You can get them at good prices now and is one of the, if not THE best 4wd car for the money.
Reasonable comparison. I agree with most points. However I would choose the Anni, but probably with a diesel engine. As quick as the 1.8T and twice the mpg.

Welcome[:D]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts