Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Seemingly my lovely new toy was never fitted with it's plaque on the fuse box cover and the previous owner, who'd had it since new never got it sent to him either.

I've spoke to my dealer who's shrugged his shoulders and can't find any way of ordering me one, and VW customer services are "looking into it and will get back to me..."

I know it's 3 years down the line and I've missed the boat on this issue, but does anyone have any advice on how to go about getting this?

Cheers.

Mike.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I know this may not help you but I know of a guy who can make up metal plaques. You could ask him to make a duplicate copy. Trouble is, how would you know which number Anni yours is? I don't have any other clue apart from the plaque on my car. I am also after some duplicate plaques to stick elsewhere on the car because the location the dealer chose is pathetic - out of view unless the driver's door is opened!

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers,

I've just had the call back from VW. They've told me that the plaque was never applied for by the dealer when the car was registered, but to get hold of one now would mean me ordering one through them to have it made in Germany and it'll arrive in 28 days..... for ?150.

Because I've bought the car privately, they're not likely to stand for the cost themselves (even though technically it was standard equipment on the car and their c*ck-up for not ordering it in the first place)

So I'm looking scuppered - unless I either beg or unleash a Watchdog style 6-pack of whoopass and cry until I get what I want.

Anyone who works for a dealer is more than welcome to come to be my saviour

I'll keep your friend in mind if I get nowhere though, thanks.

Mike.

·
Registered
566 Posts
?150???? Jeeeeeez!! Who are they having on? If you get any joy elsewhere, please do let me know as I am after some additional plaques too. Else, I'll just drop a line to the guy who makes them and see what he can do.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
They are talking rubbish!!

I bought my car in December last year with no plaque.

I contacted the dealer who originally supplied the car, they found out my Anni's number from the VIN.

They ordered me the plaque and never charged me a penny - it took 3 weeks to arrive though.

If you do a search under my username, you will find all details including the name and contact number of the company who manufactured the original plaque's for VW.

Apparently, they held all 1800 of them and issue them to the dealers upon request.

I asked for number 1800 but was told I will only be given the next number available.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
?150???? Jeeeeeez!! Who are they having on? If you get any joy elsewhere, please do let me know as I am after some additional plaques too. Else, I'll just drop a line to the guy who makes them and see what he can do.

~ Maxie
Maxie, where are you planning on fitting the duplicate plaques - mine is only fixed using double sided sticky tape at the moment so I might relocate it to a more visible position. I just couldnt find anywhere where it would fit nicely and look good at the same time!

·
Registered
566 Posts

~ Maxie
Maxie, where are you planning on fitting the duplicate plaques - mine is only fixed using double sided sticky tape at the moment so I might relocate it to a more visible position. I just couldnt find anywhere where it would fit nicely and look good at the same time!
You know the brushed aluminium ashtray cover? On there just above the lip. At the mo I have a GTI International plaque on it but I'd be happy to replace that with an Anni plaque if I could get hold of one. Also I'd fit another just behind the base of the bee-sting. Not exactly obvious but a subtlety all the same. That, or fitting a pair of plaques on the side skirting just behind the front wheels.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,

I've got Gilbert Lawton in Macclesfield on the case, so I'll drop an update on with my progress.

Ashtray sounds like a superb place, I'll be copying that...

Mike.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any news on this, Mike?

~ Maxie
How rude of me, sorry for being so slack with the reply..

They called me 2 days later and said they'd worked out how to get me one and they'd let me know when it was in for me to collect. Now I've heard they can take anything up to a month to turn up, so I'm not about to chase them up just yet, but I will give them a call for a progress report soon.

I'm also in the process of trying to get my mitts on a genuine VAG arm rest in the correct cloth/stitching to match the Anni interior - once I've had an answer on this, I'll be sure to let everyone know... If the gods are smiling upon me, they'll be around ?166 + VAT.

Laters,

Mike.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Mine came factory fitted with the armrest - in the same cloth as used on the seats/doorcards.  Will try and get a part number for you although I think it's just the standard one with a different lid.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, that would be really appreciated. Is the cloth an exact match - because I presume they've used one from another spec as it wasn't an option, was it?

Mike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Tony

I had this problem bought the car 1 month ago with no plaque, went to my local stealer who wanted to charge me ?150 for the plaque!!

I told them about the message on the anniversary registar from VW UK which said the plaque was free

The stealer said they would check, phoned back 10 mins later and said SORRY no charge, apparently they were confused and thought

I wanted a replacement !!!

Info is on http://www.gti-anniversary.com/

I love the internet forewarned is forearmed!!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, the cloth is exactly the same.
Well, that sounds just peachy!... I'll be having me one of those for sure.

What do you think the scope is for unpicking the stitching and having it re-done in red is?

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Tony

I had this problem bought the car 1 month ago with no plaque, went to my local stealer who wanted to charge me ?150 for the plaque!!

I told them about the message on the anniversary registar from VW UK which said the plaque was free

The stealer said they would check, phoned back 10 mins later and said SORRY no charge, apparently they were confused and thought

I wanted a replacement !!!

Info is on http://www.gti-anniversary.com/

I love the internet forewarned is forearmed!!
Yeah - the first stealer I tried was a joke, but the one on the case now seems to be doing the trick.

Nice looking car that... what are the Hella lights you've got on?

Mike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rears are red/clear/red magic colours from Hella they look cool when on but you can only see it if you're following the car.

More people should be able to see them from the rear when the car is remapped!!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Remap you say, ace.

I think I've seen those Hella ones, very subtle and nice quality.

I've only had mine for a month or so now, but I'm seriously considering getting it done. It's just taking the time to see which solution is going to be best for my needs, REVO, Tune-It boxes etc.. Have you decided what you fancy yet?

I had a 130 TDI Sport A3 before this, but it was still in warranty, so I didn't want to touch it - before that MK2's and a '66 Beetle, so I've no experience of 'fettled' diesels. My mate's have had their 1.8T's done... but it's a shed load more torque in a derv-dog! It must have it's pros & cons, like everything I suppose, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's had it done long term to see what they think? Do they eat through clutches? Is there a smoke problem? What sort of increase in wear & tear do they consider is affected as a result of the re-map? I'm planning to save for another car so I can keep this for good as a second one for fun, so I don't want to do anything to give me headaches down the line. Saying that, I'll drive it and to hell with paranoia - they've got to be fun!

Only shame is VW replaced the alloys with the new 'won't rust, but they ain't shiny anymore' ones... so I'm a bit sick about that in terms of it's originality. Might have to look into spending the re-map money on something to put that right.

Mike,

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the call from the dealer today - it's on it's way and F.O.C. as expected.

Maxie, remember you said you were thinking of getting someone to re-produce the plaques? Is there anything I can do to help you out in terms of measurements, thickness etc before I stick it on?

Mike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts