Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something that may interest Golf Anniversary owners with a missing plaque.

I've been told that VW UK are no longer supplying these items free of charge as the car is no longer a current model.

My dealer is going to foot the bill for replacement, apparantly they now need to be ordered from Germany at a cost of ?130. They are kindly going to foot this bill but just how much out of order is VW UK's stance on this? Very I'd say if the car was supplied missing the plaque and is still in warranty they should cough up no questions asked.

Be interested to see what others experiences are, I know sem has an anniversary with missing plaque and is trying to get one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am the second owner of my car and i phoned VW customer services. I said that the car has never had one and they stuck one in the post free of charge. That was back in Sept 04. I cant imagine much has changed since then! Neways, Good luck!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You'd think by now that they'd have all the annis sorted on this. The car has been around for 2.5 years!

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I'm suprised that they cost 130euros. When I recieved mine, the packaging/instructions where printed out by a london firm - not some massive bigshot place in Germany.

I'd be suprised if the plaque cost ?10 to make, let alone 130euros.

Shame I chucked away the packaging/instructions, or I'd be able to give you the direct manufacturers number

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Things change pretty sharpish in the world of VW customer service- I'm ringing VWUK customer services right now and they've just told me this

"If the vehicle was supplied with a plaque and it's been lost then we can replace it free of charge, however if the vehicle never had one then you will need to pay ?130 and order it through a local dealer"

I told the woman at VW customer service I'd be posting the reply and she hung up on me!

As an aside hen I used to own a Subaru I got great customer service from IM (runs Subaru in the UK)to be honest VW are an utter joke. Although I will say that my supplying dealer Breeze have done more than they have to.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
That logic seems a bit twisted to me. Surely it should be free if you've never had one and cost if you've lost it.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Logic? This is VW customer 'service' logic doesn't seem to come into it. The woman I spoke to didn't have 2 brain cells to rub together mind so perhaps she got it wrong.

Someone else may be able to confirm how things stand.

So far my experience has been the dealer is good, VW very poor. Guess what? My girlfriend isn't going to be buying that MKV GTI any more, at least one sale lost to them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm suprised at this. I spoke to them last year as i was getting lots of emails asking how to get these. The response is posted on the Anni Website. They were made by a company in the UK - IIRC it was CreativeFX. VW UK had them and then when the paperwork came in from the dealer with the chassis number the badge was sent out. Unfortunately VW dealers arent the sharpest tools, so quite a few didnt send the paperwork off...

James.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
This is shocking, my Anni plaque is missing too and I believe the car was never fitted with one in the first place. Looks like it's gonna be a nightmare trying to obtain it.

I have just spent 45 mins on the phone to VW customer service, being transferred from department to department and all i'm trying to do is get my centre caps replaced!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well done James, You look after the anni people well.

To be honest its not really down to VW UK, but the dealers. They were given clear instructions on how to order these 'tags' and they failed the system not VW UK.

I mean how had is it to sort out ?? Er? you have a limited edition that needs a tag so you order it. In fact when i took my car i gave the dealers the clear instruction "I wont be taking the car without the tag attached"

I think the fault lies with the dealer network not VW UK.

If you car has not got its 'tag' and you are second or third owner then contact the suppling dealer.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take your point wish but don't you think it's a bit rich trying to charge your (upto this point) loyal customers about ?100 for a small plaque?

The dealers may be to blame but the ownership experience is something that is very much in VW's court. Of course they don't seem to care which is why my next 20K+ will be going to another manufacturer.

I'd say VW have shot themselves in the foot over this one- t055ers.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nope not at all.

The owners have had nearly 2.5 yrs to sort out tags. Why buy a anni limited edition in the first place without a tag.

Still cant see it being VW UK's fault.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Why buy a anni limited edition in the first place without a tag."

.........perhaps because I bought mine over the internet without even knowing what an anniversary model was? It cost the same as other PD150's.

Now I do know what it is the lack of a plaque could affect it's resale value. As I'm becoming increasingly p****d off with VW and their attitude (who is the customer after all?) the resale could be sooner rather than later. Therefore I'd like the mistake resolving ASAP without cost to myself, quite reasonable. I don't care whose fault it is, it needs rectifying.

There are plenty of other manufacturers out there who know which side their bread is buttered on, a [email protected] piece of plastic isn't worth them losing out on repeat business. Their attitude is as the worst I've ever encountered. I'll be voting with my feet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
But the dealer is footing your bill ???

I would have thought that your fisrt port of call (if it wasnt already) would have been your dealer.

Anyway, in your case its good news, problem resolved. But to others out there without the Anni 'Tag' Speak to your dealer!

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The dealer is footing my bill and hats off to them for being good people,I've had nothing but good treatment from day one and would recommend them without hesitation. I'm partly annoyed on their behalf, VWUK should be sorting the problem F.O.C., it's hardly a problem for a concern of their size, particularly when it's a limited liability job like this.

Others out there might have bought their "25th Anniversary Golf" in a private sale, I'm looking out for the VW community here rather than concentrating on my own selfish needs. We need to be informed about decisions like this which reflect poorly on VW and their attitude towards their lifeblood, their 'valued' (NOT) customers.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sammyboy,

Was your car bought new?

If not where they dealer you bought the car from the original suppling dealer?

When the Annis where first sold the dealer had to arrange the 'tags' when the cars where allocated the dealer sent off paperwork wiht the Chassis number and other relevent details to obtain the tags.

If the dealership sold you the car from new, then its comes dowm to there inafficianty and not that of VW UK.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Id have to agree with Wish on this one. I was still working at a VW dealership when the GTi Anniversary was launched. The sales department were made aware that the special plaque was to be fitted by the dealership during the pre delivery preparation. The plaque had to be ordered by the sales department,using the vehicles chassis number and the customers name,thus allowing a ltd edition number to be allocated. The plaque duly arrived via VW dealership internal mail. I fitted 3 new Anniversaries with their plaques,and personally think having them fitted on a removable panel(fuse cover) is a bad idea,as this could easily get broken/damaged. In my opinion,they should be positioned on the top part of the dash (a couple of inches higher),but VW wanted them on the cover,so thats where i put them! Its definately down to the dealer,though,because a car without a tag is only missing it because the salesman couldnt be arsed sending a fax to VW! Hope this helps guys. Paul.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts