Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right i have a question for u all. What wud u have if u were buying a car again. Cooper S or Anniversary? Also How old are most Anni Drivers?

Ollie

·
Registered
178 Posts
Swapped a 2004 Mini Cooper S (170bhp) for my Anni :)

Bought a house and needed to release some of the money in that car and it was expensive to run as its only 25mpg.

As a drivers car its much better than a golf (i await the remarks...)
its total fun. However with that comes with some compromises like a
hard noisey ride and zero room, the boot is a joke and there no one
with legs getting in the back. That said if i dodnt need to save some
money there is no way i would have sold mine. Top Top car.

Mini forums arnt so good though :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've tried a Cooper S and it's not as quick as my Anni....... the Focus ST 225, however, is a different kettle of fish...... it's miles quicker and will out-handle my Anni any day of the week, so I'd be tempted to go that way if I was buying again.

I am 30 now but I've had my Anni since the day it was new, and I was 26 back in those days - God how time flies!

·
Registered
178 Posts
oh and im 25

And the mini is only plastic if you dont pay for the lush chrome interior upgrade.

Worth noting that even a ?15k base spec mini cooper s comes with
absolutly nothing so if ur looking at a new one then ur talking 17-18k

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wouldn't get a mini as they're far too common now. I would get rid of my 1.8T anni for a diesel anni (maybe)

I'm 37 btw.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Can't say I'd fancy a Mini myself - but I've had VAG's since day-dot and likewise with my parents going back a '79 Riad yellow Polo (god I wish Mum had kept it, sooooo retro cool)

Beetles, Campers, Golf's.. you name it, it's been in our garage at some point. Dad's nearly 50 and he's building his holy grail '69 911 with as much old skool kit as possible - cue old man speach "I remember when it was Okrasa, Speedwell, Empi...and tuning was easy, none of this modern electronic gubbins"

To cut it short, I'd get linched if I went round with a Mini!!

I'm a few weeks off 29.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
oh and im 25

And the mini is only plastic if you dont pay for the lush chrome interior upgrade.

Worth noting that even a ?15k base spec mini cooper s comes with absolutly nothing so if ur looking at a new one then ur talking 17-18k
Pay for a Chrome upgrade on a car costing ?1500 alloy trim is standard on my Anni and TT[:D]

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had Mini Cooper S Works before my anni diesel, as much as i like the anni i still believe the mini to be far more of a 'fun' drive- much more involving but then the anni is more luxurious, nicer to look at and better value for money, oh and the MPG in the anni is a godsend!!!

I've just turned 24 by the way!!

Craig.

·
Registered
178 Posts
oh yeah, exactly as i said about expensive car comes with bugger all.

Also agree on the common-ness front. I had a hyper blue mini which was
a brand new colour and was the only thing making me unique as there are
a hell of a lot about.

The best thing about Anni ownership is that their a just that little bit unique, that and its the best diesel around overall.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Im 34, id get an anni every time, cant stand the low roof line on the mini comes right in to your line of sight. imo

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I'm 26, owned it for a year now and i'm still not bored of it.

What would I swap it for?.....honestly, nothing! I wanted the best diesel hatchback and that's exactly what it is.

With the addition of a few toys (remap, sat nav, xenons, phatnoise) it has everything I need in a car.

The only thing i'd consider swapping it for would be the new PD170....if they ever make the MKV diesel GTI.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I'm 26, owned it for a year now and i'm still not bored of it.

What would I swap it for?.....honestly, nothing! I wanted the best diesel hatchback and that's exactly what it is.

With the addition of a few toys (remap, sat nav, xenons, phatnoise) it has everything I need in a car.

The only thing i'd consider swapping it for would be the new PD170....if they ever make the MKV diesel GTI.
The only thing I'd consider would be a 30th Anni - if it ever were to appear, and in diesel form.

But that's pie in the sky for now!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its pretty staggering that so many car companies are soooo slow in coming up with diesels to match their petrol GTi's!!

I suppose with this thread at the end of the day its like comparing
apples with oranges. Both are very very different cars for very
different reasons, and both very good cars.

I wouldnt have sold my Mini if i hadnt needed the cash and the same
with the Anni i wouldnt think of selling it if i hadnt again needed the
cash.

What i really need is a good loan shark :)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Anni, with tweaked supenison, the MINI is Crap, I drove one for 6months
albeit automatic, it is my mums and I had it when I bust my ankle,

The build quialty makes me laugh, handbrake AND gearlever come of in my
hand when driving hard LOL runflat tyres over 35 random punctures in a
year and my mum does only 4000 miles a year.

As a drivers Car CRAP BUT better than my 4motion, the reason I
say crap is my Old 306 GTI6 laughs at it (my brother still has the
GTI6) in the bends and when late braking

IMO if you want a drivers car get a Civic TypeR, if you want Quality get the Anni

The mini trys to be both but fails on both, I also had serious doubts
about my sexuality everytime Men looked at me at the Lights in the
Mini.... need I say More

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wow - so many happy Anni owners! I think, Ollie, you being a teenager can lay claim to being the youngest Anni owner in the country (if not the world). I am almost twice your age! What would I buy again? Maybe an R32 MkIV....but I have to agree the Anni stands out so much more than other Golfs so it feels I am driving something a bit special and I am still not bored of it yet (had it since April 2005). With the Mini Cooper S comments, I really can't argue with that because I would have expected the Cooper to out-handle the Anni and in 'S' form, out-perform it too. The Annis only real weakness, imo, was that plain jane rear axle which gave the car ordinary handling and much inferior to the multi-link suspension set up of the equivalent Focus.

Maxie

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
. The Annis only real weakness, imo, was that
plain jane rear axle which gave the car ordinary handling and much
inferior to the multi-link suspension set up of the
equivalent Focus.

Maxie
Or a 4motion or R32 which has Multilink

1 - 18 of 18 Posts