Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelling on the M42 this afternoon, traffic was building up and the car in front suddenly braked to a halt.

I too had to hit the anchors and my R32 front brakes brought me to very impressive standstill [Y]

However, the Chrysler Neon behind was either not paying attention or had crap brakes because he went straight into the back of my Anni.

He did accept liability though and I verified his identity from his driving licence so hopefully the claim should go through smoothly.

My insurers have asked me to obtain a quote from a VW dealer for the repair but i've read many horror stories on here about VW's poor accident repairs!

Got a bit of whiplash too and i'm guttted my new Wolfsburg plate surround has snapped, took me ages to get hold of them too [:'(]

Hopefully, there is no damage underneath - with a new bumper and valance it should be ok?

The other car was a little worse off....front bumper was hanging off on the nearside. [Y] to VW strentgh and build quality again!

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/sem/images/347349/original.aspx

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/sem/images/347350/original.aspx

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/sem/images/347351/original.aspx

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/sem/images/347352/original.aspx

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/sem/images/347353/original.aspx

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Oh, man, no! [:mad:] There are so many inattentive/poor drivers on the road. This happened to me exactly a week ago on the M4, luckily I was in my work car, the impact shunted me into the car in front as well and my work car was pretty busted up. All I could think of was how cheesed off I'd have been if it was my own car. Glad you're OK and hope it can be sorted really well.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
However, the Chrysler Neon behind was either not paying attention or had crap brakes because he went straight into the back of my Anni.
Either way, he was following you too closely [:mad:] Absolutely no excuse.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The LF04 plate Merc I smacked into last week showed only a scuffed bumper (and bent exhaust tips if you looked underneath), but my work's V-reg Laguna looked like it had driven into a brick wall, well mashed up [:S]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully my exhaust is ok, the car actually swerved as it hit me - As you can see most of the damage is on the right hand side.

The Anni catback was customised to fit my car with an adapter, if it needs replacing I can't see VW modifying a brand new exhaust [:S]

The dodgy alignment of the tailpipe is probably due to the squashed bumper I think?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry mate , that stinks, all you can do is get the verified name and address, hope he has insurance, you car was so mint too. you can take it to where ever you want for the repair so long as its not more the their approved quote. hope it gets sorted as you want. but still a sh*t to sort it all.

main thing is your ok metal can be bashed back in shape.

·
Registered
579 Posts
[:(] same happened to my 1.8T a few months back.cost to that was ?744 for a new bumper and tailgate repaired.just hassle more than anything aint it

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[:(] same happened to my 1.8T a few months back.cost to that was ?744 for a new bumper and tailgate repaired.just hassle more than anything aint it
It is definately hassle, having had my wheels refurbed earlier this week I was happy my car was looking mint again [:'(]

God knows how long it will take to repair [:mad:]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Couple of years ago when my car was new a Pug 106 rear ended me on the M3 her bumper was pushed well in; I couldn't find the slightest damage to the Golf so I let it go not even a scratch they are made of panzer steel.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
sorry to hear sem!

could make some money out of it though.

take the lower rear anni valance off and claim it was snapped in two and hanging off so you pulled it off and left by the road.?

get a new one fitted and sell the old one.?

i know its wrong but.but these days you get money where you can.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Gutted for you. The bumper bar may also need replacing but otherwise it could have been alot worse.

Not sure where you are in the country but if you are planning to use a VW dealer for the bodywork then I'd highly recommend Lightcliffe VW in Halifax as they use Impact as their approved bodyshop who are well known for their work on the VW scene and attend some of the shows (you've probably seen their van as there's defo been pics in the show threads). I had work done by them when I bought the Golf from VW lightcliffe and agreed certain work doing as part of the sale.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Damage doesn't look too bad, i think it could have been worse. Like everyone says, at least no one was hurt. Ill have first dibs on your rear valance if its up for grabs!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts