Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, the curse of my friday afternooner reared its ugly head again.

I was in Portsmouth when there was a bang from the car ( whilst pulling out of a junction ) and the " LOW OIL PRESSURE " warning came on - cutting the engine immediately. I had done about 60 miles since leaving home and had checked the oil level before leaving too - it was fine ( abt 2/3 full ). When I removed the dipstick at the side of the road, it was dry.

Being cautious, I put 150 ml of oil in and waited 5 minutes and checked the level again - now its over full[:mad:].

Then I turned on the ignition - all faults have gone..except "airbag fault " so I drive home with no airbags. This is the 7th time I have had an airbag fault - the car has broken down 4 times in 5 months.

I told the dealership I want my money back...and am awaiting a call from the dealer principal today. My car has gone in this morning to have the turbo looked at due to its "police siren" noise ( and was told "oh they all do that !!!" - err no, they don't ) have was given a courtesy car that hasn't seen a sponge or a hoover in months. Oh, and 2 miles later, the fuel warning light comes on.

VW - you are complete beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps !

[8o|][8o|][8o|]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Damian,

I really feel sorry for you mate, that car is nothing but trouble, i would defo be asking for a refund...

Think they have had enough go's at fixing it. Best of luck matey..

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think they have had enough go's at fixing it. Best of luck matey..
Thats what I think, John. I told them last time it went wrong ( 21st September it broke down too ) that I'd had enough of it going wrong. The first time it broke down, it was 6 weeks old ( out of the 6 weeks, I had been away for 2 ) and had 1870 miles on. Its been breaking down / non-starting about once a month since.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I feel for your frustration and disappointment. I recently bought
a 2.0 tdi and I'm so paranoid about stuff going wrong after reading
your history of faults. Yesterday, I checked my oil level for the first
time and I noticed how bendy the dipstick is( MK4 was better) and also difficult to gauge
how much oil there is.

Totally unacceptable newish car behaviour - give 'em plenty of stick, mate!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahhhh - oil consumption...after 6.5 litres in 8500 miles, I am beginning to think that the car is a re-bodied RX-8[*-)]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my employer doesn't work that that, unfortunately Graham. They tell you your budget to buy "a car" and then write out the cheque - thats as far as their involvement goes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jeez, I thought I had problems with my friday afternooner, but they were nothing compared to yours. If you kick up enough fuss you will get a replacement, but they will try to sting you for the residual difference between old and new cars (I eventually negotiated mine down to a ?1600 difference; but I wouldn't be looking to pay that in your case). Touch wood, my new car is as reliable as it should be (only had it a week so a bit soon to tell)

Have you phoned VW @ Milton Keynes about it ? They were reasonably helpful when I did it and instigating some butt kicking at the dealers which got things moving a bit - but even with VW breathing down their neck I found you still have to do all the running around etc.

I hope it gets sorted soon mate

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haven't called yet - will do so today. I am more aware of how plop my car is the more it goes back ie the loaners that I have seems so much better built - no rattles or creaks - just all round better....How long did it take you to get a replacement car, Nathan ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Before I forget, the other thing that may be of use ......

When speaking to VW @ Milton Keynes, I was telling them I wanted a (free) replacement car based on the fact that the Sale Of Goods act offers the consumer protection in the area of goods not being fit for purpose. Whilst my individual problems with my car made those individual items not fit for purpose, VW argued that they only do it if the whole car that is not fit for purpose and they define that by a major component (such as engine, gearbox etc) failing. Further to that they say (as does the Sale Of Goods act) that they have to be given reasonable chances to rectify the fault (3 chances). After 3 failed attempts at repair, theory says they will then give you a replacement car.

Sounds like your case is a prime example for this - major fault which they repeatidly cannot fix.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I eventually got a new car when my old one was 6 months old - but I reckon I was 'negotiating' a new car for about 3 months of that.

The other thing to remember is who you are negotiating with - my dealer initially tried to tell me that I need to talk to VW about a replacement car. They said they are simply a franchise, and that they cannot authorise a swap. This is utter rubbish and dont let your dealer try to fob you off with that line. Your contract of sale is with the dealer, not the manufacturer, and so they are responsible (they would in turn take it up with their supplier IE. VW) - its just the same as if you brought a TV from Comet and it went wrong - you would take it back to Comet and expect them to repair/replace - you would not expect Sony to sort it out for you - you brought the TV from Comet, you take it back to them.

So, definately call VW, kick up a fiss, make them aware of the situation, get them involved; but the responsibility to replace is down to the supplying dealer

Its not easy, but it is possible

Oh, and another thing .... dont be content with talking to the sales manager or service manager about this. Your dealer should have an "After Sales Manager" whose job it is is to ensure that customers like you are happy - he is clearly failing you here. Find him out and get him involved (VW Milton Keynes will definately get him involved)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Damian - just noticed in your sig that you car is modified (Jetex filter and superchip) - are these reversable ? If not, they might use these as an excuse to invalidate your warranty in this respect ?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know what you are saying but the problem has been there for 3.1/2 months - the mods have only been in place for 3 weeks.I do not have a problem with the engine so this should mean that the warranty isn't effected.

Yes, they are reversible in any case.

VW Customer services say that they will not replace the car because the dealer says that they have rectified the car everytime it goes wrong. The fact that it breaks down again 3 weeks late is irrelevant apparently.

Wish I hadn't phoned - am more pee'd off than ever...[:(]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Damian, I think you need to set your strategy here. If you want a result you must decide what that result is and how best to get it. Your mods would definitely muddy the water over any complaint. The ECU is at the heart of virtually anything the car does, so the fact that it has been significantly fiddled with is a problem. On the other hand, as you say, you have had problems, for 31/2 months. Your local Council Consumer Advice people may be able to help - prob advice only. Really it's just a question of laying out your demands to the dealer, and VW Customer Services, and convincing them that you are not going to settle for anything short of a replacement car. I would agree that you have suffered enough, and that this is the only proper solution. VW and the dealer will naturally resist, but you must not take no for an answer. Keep at them, threaten Watchdog etc. and ring/e-mail everybody concerned, everyday. Make yourself a bloody niusance for long enough and they will give in, eventually.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dealers have just called and said that they will work out the value of the car. They said that, usually, cars with similar mileage are up for sale at about ?15995 but then mine has alot of extras ( which of course they will not add the cost of them to the value of the car IYKWIM ie its not ?15995 + ?4.5K as a value)....He said that when he calls me back with a valuation ( probably tomorrow ), he will then discuss how best to proceed, whether that be rejection or not. He said that the "problem" they have as a dealership is that the car has only been returned to them once for this fault - all other times it has been fixed by VW Assistance and the dealers do not have any record of these. Therefore the fault is not re-occurring according to the system.

It was a conference call with the Service Manager who said that he "fully understands" that I am " tired" of the car and they will try to acheive an outcome that both parties are happy with. He also acknowledged that there is a problem with the paint quality on the car

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Good luck with that then. I think the same applies though. Decide how much you think and stick to it till you know they aren't going to shift further.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts