Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

and here,s you'r loaner sir...!!!

2K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  LHDV5 
#1 ·
Ok,pride and joy in for some warranty stuff,that fan problem and a bodywork issue.3 days without the PD so need a loan car.

It had to be a diesel apparantly because mine is,so that was the GTI MKV out so I expected my 3rd run in a loaner been some bland golf5.

No..its a Beetle...A purply blue 05 girlie machine.It was p155ing it down and they parked it in a lake so I got soaked getting to it.I banged my knees getting in cos Jimmy Krankie had it last time,no diesel in it and for some reason instead of a petrol pump light on the dash the temp gauge was lit.????.this went out when I put a ?5 in it.No rear wiper and to top it all off according to the Mrs..No Kooky Flower????...<shrugs>.

Its allright I s,pose...Laters [:D]

#3 ·
have has the same..told my stealer that I need a suitable car for my wife and 2yr old and me to be transported in..so they gave me a sort of salmon pinky coloured Beetle convertible...err..thanks..helpful...and the pushchair will fit where exactly ? Had no flower either..

Here's my last loaner...

Posted Image

ewrrr....ex-squeeze, Mr VW - but its dented !!!!!

#7 ·
I once had my Fiat Uno Turbo in for a pretty big service/warrenty work in London, and I told them I really needed a car for the weekend.

I turned up expecting some sort of tipo diesel (trust me, they are worse then Ladas!) so you can imagine the look on my 19 year old face (oh, all those years ago) when the service manager pulled out a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo and said "have fun, see you in the sales office Monday".

Now what you have to realise is was that these hadnt even been officially launched...they were still being reviewed by the Mags etc.

Where ever I went that weekend in London I got stopped, asked loads of questions which I couldnt answer and no, I didnt buy one.

I was shocked at a) how damm fast they were on my own personal section of the A40 westway, and b) how "not bothered" he was about loaning me the car....

Good old days eh....now I get a damm battered old polo if Im lucky!

#8 ·
Ok,pride and joy in for some warranty stuff,that fan problem and a bodywork issue.3 days without the PD so need a loan car.

It had to be a diesel apparantly because mine is,so that was the GTI MKV out so I expected my 3rd run in a loaner been some bland golf5.

No..its a Beetle...A purply blue 05 girlie machine.It was p155ing it down and they parked it in a lake so I got soaked getting to it.I banged my knees getting in cos Jimmy Krankie had it last time,no diesel in it and for some reason instead of a petrol pump light on the dash the temp gauge was lit.????.this went out when I put a ?5 in it.No rear wiper and to top it all off according to the Mrs..No Kooky Flower????...<shrugs>.

How very dare you sir? I am quite offended by your comments. I drive a Beetle and am very proud and not at all girly. Who needs a rear wiper,your supposed to drive forwards. I think rear wipers are for girls!! And the temp light comes on to indicate vehicle is cold and will go out at operating temp because there is no temp gauge. Real men don't need temp gauges or rear wipers ,we just drive.

#9 ·
Mine went in for a service last week, and i was told when i booked in that the loan cars are all polos. So on the day i got there when they opened 7.00am and asked what they had, you got to be cheeky[:D]

I got given a mk5 1.9tdi sport with the DSG gearbox, it was the service guys company run around so it was very good of him to let me try it.

Nice enough car and the DSG works very well, (no paddle shift to play with though), but i'd stick with manual unless i get really lazy or i damage my knees!

Did soften my opinion of the mk5, still think the interior plastics are a bit cheap, and i'm still not sure about the c pillar look. But other than that a decent ride.

So top marks to my dealer in Leeds[:D]

#11 ·
I turned up expecting some sort of tipo diesel (trust me, they are
worse then Ladas!) so you can imagine the look on my 19 year old face
(oh, all those years ago) when the service manager pulled out a
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo and said "have fun, see you in the sales office
Monday".
That is a turn up for the books! Im always stunned at what everyone
seems to 'expect' when their car is serviced - as if they would have a
fleet of MKV GTIs as loan cars, honestly! - but thats a result, nice
one!

Norman Motors in Poole, Dorset are my top tip for solo test drives in
?30k + cars, whatever your age - they take your photocard driving
licence then hand you the keys to a 54 plate 330CI Convertible etc...
quite brilliant

[:)]

#15 ·
Reminds me of when mine was in for some warranty paintwork for 4 days.

I hand over the keys for my (at the time) top of the range Golf GTi (complete with Oettinger chip) and get given the keys for an entry level 1.4, boy did that suspension change (I had Koni coilovers at the time) scare me a few times.

Needless to say, it got well and truly thrashed (the only way to get any performance out of it).

#16 ·

How very dare you sir? I am quite offended by your comments. I drive a Beetle and am very proud and not at all girly. Who needs a rear wiper,your supposed to drive forwards. I think rear wipers are for girls!! And the temp light comes on to indicate vehicle is cold and will go out at operating temp because there is no temp gauge. Real men don't need temp gauges or rear wipers ,we just drive.
You got a point Raven blue..I aint man enough to lift that boot...

Ah the loan car lottery some lucky some not so...Daimler Chrsyler gave me a neon once...

Heres a pic of my latest thrash..I mean drive

Posted Image

#17 ·
What you may not realsie is that the service dept pay the sale dept x amount per month for each courtesy car, so most run a fleet of Polo's/Golfs/Beetles, with them being S or SE models

If you get anything else then its most lilely to be a demonstrator or a company car as all the courtesy cars will be out

#19 ·
Reminds me of when mine was in for some warranty paintwork for 4 days.

I hand over the keys for my (at the time) top of the range Golf GTi (complete with Oettinger chip) and get given the keys for an entry level 1.4, boy did that suspension change (I had Koni coilovers at the time) scare me a few times.

Needless to say, it got well and truly thrashed (the only way to get any performance out of it).
You got "performance" out of it? [;)]

#20 ·
My last loaner was a Beetle too.

Luckily the Girly car (sorry, but it is a girls car, end of) was in a deep blue non metallic colour so it wasn't too bad, however, No CD player, No Aircon , frikin 30 Deg and no Aircon,.[:'(] and yes, no flower, plus there was no fuel in the bugger either.

Amazingly, it drove better than my stock MK IV GT TDI 130 (before the additioin of the Anni sus and Neuspeed rear ARB) quite nippy too, must of been the 115ps petrol version.

#21 ·
It goes back today and I gotta say it has been fun.I managed a 6am M** motorway run today and took it ton+.Thats a first for me cos my last beetle was a 1963 Wolfsburg badged, no brakes,no power no wife(it was 1983) babe magnet that struggled to 40mph...Now that like the original mini was a blokes car..[:D]..I do like what VW have done to recreate the beetle and for that matter BMW with the Mini but both are ladies cars now.I base that on the fact that the owners I know are female and have never seen a bloke driving em anyways...I,ve enjoyed it and the digi cam pics are on my cool wall.

#22 ·
That just proves it's a woman's car- no back wiper - why? because women don't use their rearview mirror !!! [:p] (Runs and hides)

#26 ·
Looks like I'll have to book my car in at the dealer pretty soon, work will cost me around 1600 quid. Do you reckon that if I insist, considering the large sum I'll be spending, they will loan me a mkV GTI? [:D]

On a slightly OT note, should I expect a discount considering I'll fork out such a large sum of money?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.