Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What were VW thinking with the crap steering wheel they have fitted in the GT170. OK it feels not to bad to hold and steer with, but what blithering idiot said lets put the hooter in the middle of the steering wheel so when you need to sound it the driver has to remove his hand from the wheel and hit the center with his palm. Derrrrrrrrrrrrr [^o)] And lets not have the hooter go "beep" lets make it go "beeeeeeeep" Why couldn't they have left those little side bits on, just where your thumb rests to allow the horn to be sounded. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The longer I have this car the more I want my MKIV GTTDi back.

Comments??? or am I on my own with this one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOOOooooooooooooooooo 10 views so far and no comments... Looks like I'm on my own with this rant then. Well you can't please all the people all the time can ya.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Personally I agree with you, it seems to be motoring journalists that like the horn in the centre and this seems to have influenced the manufacturers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I agree with you, it seems to be motoring journalists that like the horn in the centre and this seems to have influenced the manufacturers.
Really, or are you getting me at it????

Why would motoring journalists make the comment to manufacturers about such small detail. And, do you really think they'd listen. I've never heard Jeremy Clarkson or Vicky Butler-Henderson describe a car with having a nicely thoughtout steering wheel and horn position. But you could be right, coz I certinly don't know the answer.

Anyone????

·
Registered
310 Posts
Unsure if the GT wheel is the same however on the GTI wheel you don't have to hit the centre with you palm you can sound the horn by just using your thumb without taking your hand off the wheel. I personally prefer it on the wheel, my dads old Xantia used to have it on the indicator stock and if you needed to sound the horn in a rush if was hard to hit quickly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Really, or are you getting me at it????

Why would motoring journalists make the comment to manufacturers about such small detail. And, do you really think they'd listen. I've never heard Jeremy Clarkson or Vicky Butler-Henderson describe a car with having a nicely thoughtout steering wheel and horn position. But you could be right, coz I certinly don't know the answer.

Anyone????
Certainly not getting at you.

If you read some of the new car reviews a few (probably 10) years ago, when the horn was on the end of the indicator stalk, they were all banging on about how much better it was in the centre of the wheel. This comes of being of the older generation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unsure if the GT wheel is the same however on the GTI wheel you don't have to hit the centre with you palm you can sound the horn by just using your thumb without taking your hand off the wheel. I personally prefer it on the wheel, my dads old Xantia used to have it on the indicator stock and if you needed to sound the horn in a rush if was hard to hit quickly.
No mate, the GTI has a much nicer steering wheel than the GT. I here what you're saying re the indicator stalk, that's just a pants idea. The GT horn is in the centre of the wheel, where as like the GTI, my MKIV GT TDi had the horn in the center but with the addition of being able, as you say, to use just your thumbs where they would naturaly be placed if you was holding the wheel correctly. Maybe I'll get a GTI wheel.

Anyone know how difficult it is to change steering wheels with airbags in them? Is it something I can do myself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would be surprised if the horn switches are any different between GTI and GT, as the airbags are the same, and the wheels are interchangable. Have you asked at the stealers - maybe the switch behind the cover/airbag is just a bit 'tight' or is duff. P'raps they can do something to free it up.

Somone else with a GT or Sport must be able to confirm whether theirs is the same!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would be surprised if the horn switches are any different between GTI and GT, as the airbags are the same, and the wheels are interchangable. Have you asked at the stealers - maybe the switch behind the cover/airbag is just a bit 'tight' or is duff. P'raps they can do something to free it up.

Somone else with a GT or Sport must be able to confirm whether theirs is the same!
No you've not under stood what I'm talking about, my main gripe is the fact that should I have to sound the horn, I have to take one hand off the wheel and hit the center of the wheel. On my last Golf the you could just use your thumbs were they would normally be placed on the wheel withouty having to remove either hand to sound the horn.

The other thing what you've picked up on, re the length of time the horn sounds for is just an add on to my gripe.

You know like if you see someone you know, and you just want to give them a beep, you don't seem to be able to do that with mine, it either don't sound or it sounds like "GET OUT THE F***ing way".

I spoke to one of my mates about this this morning, and he frowned, and said, "you're driving a car like that, and you're complaining about something so petty" "You should have been around in 60s when I was driving a threpenny-bit lorry" he also added a few swear words that I won't repeat. [:D]

I don't think it's petty. Suppose you're turning a corner and need to sound the horn for some reason, it's alot more difficult to do if you have to remove a hand and hit the centre, rather than just move a thumb a few milimeters.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Perhaps VW were listening to French and Italian journalists when designing the mk5 horn push, as many Europeans seem to drive with one arm hanging out of the driver's window gesticulating and the other punching on the horn wildly!!!

Can't say I use the horn much but from experience with other VAG cars (I've owned nearly twenty of them) they all seem quite stiff to activate, much like most of the other controls on VAG cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So can someone confirm that the GTI horn is different to the GT? I know some of you have swapped steering wheels - so should be able to confirm centre verses thumbs only?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What were VW thinking with the crap steering wheel they have fitted in the GT170. OK it feels not to bad to hold and steer with, but what blithering idiot said lets put the hooter in the middle of the steering wheel so when you need to sound it the driver has to remove his hand from the wheel and hit the center with his palm. Derrrrrrrrrrrrr Comments??? or am I on my own with this one.
Have to say, i understand when people pay good money for their cars they want them to be perfect but this rant takes the biscuit!!

"VW crap steering wheel" - not too bad to hold or steer with. These would be the 2 functions of my steering wheel i'd be primarily concerned with. How come you use your horn so much anyways? [:D]

·
Registered
809 Posts
So can someone confirm that the GTI horn is different to the GT? I know some of you have swapped steering wheels - so should be able to confirm centre verses thumbs only?
The GTI and other models with the three spoke wheel all share the same airbag and connections. So no it's not different.

I will soon be ordering a GTI steering wheel if all goes to plan so I'll check horn function before and after fitting assuming all ends up as it should!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is what I was talking about. See where my thumbs are, on the GTi or my last GT-TDi the horn was where my thumb is.

GT steering Wheel

·
Registered
703 Posts
the reason the horn isn't where the thumb falls on many many cars now is due to the fact you can have cruise and audio/telephone controls there... mercs, beemers, mazda, honda etc etc...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
the reason the horn isn't where the thumb falls on many many cars now is due to the fact you can have cruise and audio/telephone controls there... mercs, beemers, mazda, honda etc etc...
Golf V's...[:|]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read this thread yesterday and disagree - by extending my thumb i comfortably sounded the horn on the left or right without letting go of the wheel. When driving my son's Ibiza where the horn is on the side pieces i keep sounding the horn accidentally! (Granted it doesn't need much of a push though)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts