Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By adding an amp to the standard speakers, will it make a big difference? Ive given a Rockford Fosgate 2 channel amp which is 2x60w RMS. Im thinking of fitting it, will it make a noticleable difference?

Wheres the best place to install an amp in the mk4? Im looking for a stealth fit. Is it a ok under the CD changer in the boot in the cubby hole or will it over heat there?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
You don't say what head unit you currently have,so it's difficult to say how much difference it will make.That cubby hole SHOULD be ok as you're not using it to run a sub,but it's easy to add a couple of fans to circulate air around that space if it does get too hot.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im running the standard gamma HU.

Im been searching the forum and a few people have wired it up by cutting the speaker connection from behind the HU and connected directly to the amp. But also mentioned is a ISO to ISO speaker connector, what is that? Will it sound just as good this way and are the standard speaker wires up to the job?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
The standard speaker wires can handle a lot more power than the standard speakers can.You could use a Vauxhall ISO extension loom that's designed for the likes of Corsas etc if you don't want to cut your cars loom,about ?9.99 from any good Autoleads dealer,and a PC3-11 to get a low level signal from your Gamma.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, on the rockford fosgate ive got, on the back of it, its got a large hole. I dont know why but i was thinking of a adding a little computer fan there. is that a good idea? Ill post pics of it later?

Also if i connect the amp and listen to music with the engine off, will that kill the battery?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
That hole is to give access to the crossover board,and one fan over it wouldn't do anything.You need two fans to draw air across the heatsink,one sucking and one blowing if you'll pardon the expression.
It depends how long you'll be listening without the engine running,it will do eventually,but not quickly as you're only driving very low power handling speakers with it,and instead of the Vauxhall adaptor,you could use the proper VW one Autoleads part number PC2-69-4.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks again for the help, what fans do you reccomend in the cubby hole where the boot mounted changer is to help with the cooling?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also, as the RMS and peak power of the amp is much higher that the stock front speaker, shall i also wire up the rear door speakers to the amp aswell?

I was thinking there is no point of all that power going to the front speakers if they cant handle it?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
Yes,PC fans will work as long as they're 12 volt,and you'd probably be best wiring the fronts and rears in series to spread the power a bit better,but you won't be able to fade.
This means the +ve of one front to the -ve of the rear speaker on the same side,and the -ve of the front and +ve of the rear going to the amp.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not sure i understand you there. just let me get this right, your saying the +ve of the front to the -ve back on one channel?

Or could you say what speaker connections will go to the LEFT channel on the amp and what what connections will go to the RIGHT connection to the amp?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
Is it clearer in diagram form?

You can make the connections +ve to -ve between the speakers on one side at the back of the head unit to make it easier.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hello, is autoleads 160w speaker ok? I thnik part number is c-15t-04

Also is the sound not as good if you wire the speaker from the wiring loom?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
hello, is autoleads 160w speaker ok? I thnik part number is c-15t-04

Also is the sound not as good if you wire the speaker from the wiring loom?
Sorry,but I don't understand the Autoleads speaker bit as they don't make speakers,and that isn't one of their part numbers?

You won't be able to hear the difference as you're only using a stock headunit and speakers no matter which way you wire it up,the stock speaker wiring is perfectly adequate for this job.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry, i meant to say 160w speaker wire. To connect it to the original loom, shall i bullet connect or scotchlock?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
That wire will be fine,also get yourself an Autoleads PC2-04-4 Vaxhall adaptor,and make connections as below after cutting ALL the speaker wires to the side of the cut that goes to the car,not the side that goes back to the radio.And make these connections using male and female bullets.And don't forget also a PC3-11 to get your preamp level out signal and remote switching from your headunit.

Green -ve and white +ve connected together
Green +ve to left +ve speaker terminal of amp
White -ve to left -ve speaker terminal of amp

Grey -ve and purple +ve connected together
Purple +ve to right +ve speaker terminal of amp
Grey -ve to right -ve speaker terminal of amp

Chris.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the help again.

Ive got a set of cheap speakers today. I got JBL GTO-626 16cm and JBL GTO-936 6x9 both for ?30. Also a vibe BB2 amp for ?25.

WIll the 6x9 fit in the front door or is that parcel shelf only? If not, ill just put the 16cm in the door.

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
6 X 9s in the shelf,16cm in the front door,forget about the rears,and wait for all those people who still think 6 X 9s are the work of Satan.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts