Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right leading on from my other "I'm stupid" post (find here) i need some help with a remote power on connection for my amp.

Not sure which pin I've connected it too but when I went out this morning the battery was flat.

So all you guys with an amp installed to an aftermarket head unit which pin did you connect the "remote on" lead from your amp to?

PS I've tried to attach the wiring diag for the Gamma. I'm using an aftermarket HU so I've only got the two ISO connectors.

Posted Image

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Hi mate

With an aftermarket HU you have the two ISO connectors, one covers power connections, the other is speaker connections.

In the ISO plug with the red power wire you should find: RED = +12V

YELLOW = Ignition live +12V

BLACK/BROWN = Earth

BLUE = electric aerial, remote etc

and maybe a few other connections if needed like telephone mute.

The BLUE wire is the one you need, normally labelled as electric aerial. Not sure which pin it is though. It should give an output of 0 Volts when the HU is turned off and a constant +12V when the HU is turned on

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
Those colours given above are wrong if you're referring to the colours of a standard ISO to aftermarket head unit wiring loom.

Yellow = Permanent live

Red = Switched live (Accessory or ignition)

Black = Earth

The original post doesn't say if the new head unit has chassis mount ISOs,or on a seperate loom.If it has chassis mount ISOs,the blue or blue/white remote switch on lead is normally grouped with the RCAs,if a seperate loom then it will be on pin 5,which on the male ISO coming out of the car will have the second of the thick red/white permanent lives which you will either have to cut and insulate,or use something such as an Autoleads adaptor loom especailly made for the job.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The head unit has a seperate loom and these are the pin outs.

1. blank
  2. brown - tel mute
  3. blank
  4. yellow - mem backup
  5. blue/white - remote
  6. orange/white - illum
  7. red - power
  8. black - ground

Now the remote was connected to pin 5 (blue/white) which is connected to positive (b+) supply (anti theft) on the car ISO

·
Registered
18 Posts
that seems like the right connection, itwill however keep feeding the amp if the head unit still has supply. does your head unit go on and off with the igniation?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right got it sussed, just cut the blue/white wire on the headunit wiring loom and didn't connect it to the cars loom at all. then connect the amp remote lead directly to the blue/white attached to the headunit.

jobs a good un

thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dubzter

try your radio on what was a weak signal you may find you now get no reception as you have disconnected the power to the ariel amp which is built into the ariel lead

Cheers

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wife did say something to me about there being some bad reception, which wire would I need to connect to get some power to the antenna amp?

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
The wife did say something to me about there being some bad reception, which wire would I need to connect to get some power to the antenna amp?
You'll need one of these (Autoleads again) to power up the aerial amplifier as it's phantom powered.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The other option is to rejoin the remote cable to the exisiting loom with a lego brick / chocolet block connector and then connect the remote to that as well restore the amp to the ariel presuming you havent removed it and problem solved

Cheers

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there doesn't seem to be a pin in the cars loom for the antenna amp power, I presumed that the power was run up the antenna cable, thus if you buy the adapter you connect the white wire on the adapter to the remote power on for the amp.

The Gamma must have put power up the antenna lead to power the antenna amp?

Or am I mad?

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
The Gamma must have put power up the antenna lead to power the antenna amp?

Or am I mad?
Can't tell if you're mad or not from here,but yes even back to MK.3 Golfs where they had Sonys fitted as standard,they also phantom powered the aerial amplifier,you can get masthead preamps for TV etc.that do the same thing so you don't have to run power wires to it.I don't think the newer Sonys do it since Veedub stopped using them whenever,but you will find if you get an old Sony radio/casette and plug it into a MK.4 Golf/Bora/Passat etc,the aerial amplifier will work again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
dubzter
its probably there but built into the loom so not so apparent the amplifier on mine was tucked under the radio behind the climate panel as i had to remove mine to get all the cables and phatnoise changer lead in as it wouldnt push back in on its own
you say you had perfect signal before you cut the wire though ??

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
If you get the correct autoleads loom thinks it's the PC13 something or other, that plugs into one of the smaller slots above the ISO's (think it's the yellow plug) that not only provides line outs front and rear for an amp but also gives you the remote.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Think we are all getting a bit carried away here.

I have a JVC headunit and to get the antenna amp working I need the antenna adapter and I connect it to the amp remote............................correct?

I don't have the yellow plug as that was on the standard Gamma

1 - 20 of 20 Posts