Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used these guys instead of their local VW outlet just for servicing? If something major goes wrong with my car is there a chance my stealer will say " can't help you sir as you havent been getting your car serviced with us..."

Thoughts please.

s

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You can use anyone you want as long as they use OEM parts, it is that simple it has been in place for about a year now they can not void your warranty as long as you use OEM parts.

HTH

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sorry to have to say but i'd rather have the most incompetent VW dealer do the work........at least VW HQ can help when it goes pear shaped.......with the other company you mention - you aint got a snowflake's hope in hell!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had a service performed here and to be honest I wasn't over
impressed...despite being very happy with the other work they have
done, the things that let them down were:

a) The car holds between 5.5 and 5.8litres of oil, they failed to provide me with the remainder as a top up

b) There labour charges are are very similar to VW and you will find
they do not work in the same work units as VW so when it takes them
2hrs to do what would be an advised 1.75hr job then you'd get charged
2hrs (unless a quote was obtained first)

With VW you can get quotes on prices for anything be it small or large as they have a work unit guide..

As for the professionalism of the mechanics, no issue...

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Out of intrest if you dont mind, How much did AMD charge you for that haldex oil change?
I paid ?90 for

Haldex oil + Labour

And R32 Software update (this was to raise my rev limiter to 7400rpm)

I think VW wanted something like ?80 when I enquired, so I figured I'd
get AMD to do it whilst I was getting the REV limiter
changed... but like i said, I dont think they actually
touched it.

Anyway I got the car serviced at a trusted family run EX-VW franchise 2
weeks later, and I got them to do the Haldex for me then.

Im getting my brakes serviced by them in the next few weeks - VW place. not AMD!

·
Banned
774 Posts
AMD seem to offer some of the most expensive services outside the VW dealer network. Anyone remember the problems reported with one click? Wouldn't use them myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if your vehicle is still under warranty you can get it serviced anywhere as long as they us oem parts

to the correct service schedule and they provide a full VAT reciept to ensure they are a bonafide establishment.

Then the stealers cant say jack[:p]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny - had a couple of quotes from various VW dealerships in my area (Bedfordshire) for a 60k service (miles off yet but am curious) and had some slightly different answers - highest being ?270 - lowest ?167 - all inclusive of VAT.

Interestingly the lowest told me that because I bought my car at a Wayside deaslership (they are not by-the-way) and my car is now over 3 years old I qualify for 25% discount.... for the remainder of it's life, while I own the vehicle.

Cool.

s

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
AmD used to have a good rep on here a couple of years ago, however following reports from other members it seems that they are more interested in money than helping VAG fans.  They have always been expensive, but their work was known as top knotch.  I have never used them, probably never will, more so since I have heard of a lot of horror storries.  My next service will be in France at a VW dealer, the money i save on the service will pay for me and the mrs to have a nice day out and a meal in France.

·
Banned
774 Posts
How much are you saving milkfloat? I've got a list of fixed prices from my local dealer (in France) and after exchange rates there isn't much in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would be reluctant to use AMD for a service again.

They caused as many problems as they solved the last time I took my car there. I was left with several issues to clear up for myself.

Not very impressive, but they certainly know how to charge for labour.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have used AmD for a number of years now and they have always done a Top job and gone the extra mile with me taking my R32 to a amazing level of performance. I would have no regrets at all recommending them. Yes there have been changes recently and personally i think its for the better......and no i don't work for AmD i'm just a very happy customer...[:D]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Following my recent experience (described above) it occured to me that AmD may still be treating their "big spenders" properly, while allowing themselves a more casual approach to those who just want servicing.

Whether there is a general problem, I cannot say. But certainly they were casual (in fact careless) with the work they did on my car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My R32 is due for its next service in 1500 miles, will be going here www.autops.co.uk

They recently replaced my discs and pads for around ?200 less than VW...and are servicing g/f SEAT LEON for around 70/80 quid for its first 10000 service. Seat dealers wanted around ?120...

Personal touch / Quality Workmanship and Mechanics - significantly less /hr than AMD or Stealer. Downside they can be a tad busy - but that is really down to the reputation of the guys running the place.

Also they have a direct web link into a VW Parts system so they can access all the correct service parts for whatever VAG car you have - some require VIN's but some via Reg No. gives them 100% data on your car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can recommend APS. They have done work on both my S4 and Golf.

A very professional independent outfit.

I also found Aylesbury VW pleasant and honest to deal with, who are only 25 minutes from Bicester where AmD are based.

I have also heard good things about VagTech who are in the same gerenal area -(Leighton Buzzrd), but never used them.

While we are at it, I could also recommend MRC Tuning in Banbury who I use for the S4.

All I would add is APS will give you closest to the full dealership style treatment in terms of equipment, premises and customer service.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
i had my cambelt done at aps about two weeks ago, they did a top job and found some things wrong with my car and got them to sort them out, manged to get the parts same day and complete all the work that day, top guys and will be going bk to aps in the future. [:)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts