Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this, AmD have put up details and prices for their Mk5 2.0 GT-TDI tuning options.

http://www.auto-amd.com/vwpd.asp

Stage 1 - ?695.00

2.0L PD140bhp EDC16 Performance upgrade - including rolling road time, mapping, fitting, 'before/after' plots of power and torque, test drive. Workshop time about 5 hours. Performance gains @40bhp and 90-100NM of torque

Stage 2 - ?1095.00

2.0 L PD140bhp EDC16 As per Stage 1 with additional full Milltek Exhaust system fitted work shop time @6hours

Stage 3 - ?2350.00

2.0L PD140 140bhp EDC16 As per stage 2 with additional Hybrid exchange Turbo charger unit (as supplied to VW Racing) a genuine 220+ bhp is achievable with this combination. Work shop time 3-5days

Bit pricey, but I suppose AmD are reknowned for that [;)] So a custom remap will output:

140bhp (105Kw) > 180bhp (135Kw)

236lb/ft (320Nm) > 303-310lb/ft (410-420Nm)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
180 BHP from a PD140??

Isn't the same figure achievable from a PD130?

I thought the new 2.0 lump would have had better gains!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote: posted by Sem on 22/09/2004 19:25:19

180 BHP from a PD140??

Isn't the same figure achievable from a PD130?

I thought the new 2.0 lump would have had better gains!

50bhp with a remap only, isnt that with miltek??

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TBH, I think AmD's being very conservative.

This is a question I've been asking a lot of tuning companies, and various knowledgeable people at recent shows, and I've consistently been told that the 2.0 TDI engine is capable of outputing a lot of power, just that as its quite new, a lot of companies are reluctant to advertise higher figures straight off.

Some "out-the-box" performance units being sold in Germany quote 190-200bhp, Jabba quoted me similar figures when I had a chat with them a few months back.

I'm aiming for 200+ bhp and 325+ lb/ft torque. I'm willing to wait though, until they've had a chance to play with the engines a bit more.

Also its worth remembering that the 2.0 TDI has been outputing power figures into the 150's when put on a rolling road, without having any work done to it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by col.mc on 22/09/2004 20:01:32

50bhp with a remap only, isnt that with miltek??

No, AmD's own figures quote 185bhp for the PD130, while say Jabba's figures quote 185-195bhp. In the case of the PD150, AmD quote 195bhp while Jabba quotes 195-205bhp.

If you changed the exhaust system to say a Milltek, went for a fast flow cat, replaced downpipe and a new cold air intake you'd see further increases.

VW's PD engines have a lot of potential [:)]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Just a thort here... what engine will vw be putting in the GTI PD when its released??

if its basically the same unit but with a re map mayb the tuning companies dont wanna shoot them selves in the foot by chiping it to 210 or whatever bhp... vw seeing this and doing the same with the GTI and then not been able to release a chip for the GTI PD cos its been maxed out by VW... probs wrong tho

Chris

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The general consensus for the GTI Diesel is that they'd use the 2.0 TDI with a few changes (different intercooler? Something along those lines). Most people are saying 160bhp stock, although personally, I reckon the number will be higher (although not so high that it outperforms the standard GTI. 175bhp? It'd have mountains of torque thats for sure, close to 300lb/ft!) If we use VW's released PD engines as an example, its safe to say that with its upgraded parts, the GTI Diesel will also achieve a healthy boost from a remap; higher than the standard 2.0 TDI.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Quote: posted by cjp2k on 22/09/2004 21:28:16

Just a thort here... what engine will vw be putting in the GTI PD when its released??

if its basically the same unit but with a re map mayb the tuning companies dont wanna shoot them selves in the foot by chiping it to 210 or whatever bhp... vw seeing this and doing the same with the GTI and then not been able to release a chip for the GTI PD cos its been maxed out by VW... probs wrong tho

Chris

I'd imagine it will have a bigger turbo and intercooler. A bit like the PD150 had over the PD130.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I should imagine the figures quoted are conservative, as its far better to please a customer by telling thm the remap made more BHP than expected than having to tell them it didnt do quite as well.

Diesel tuning....its the way forward ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would be very sceptical of having anyhting done at amd with the problems that certain members on here have had. The thought of leaving your car at AMD for that stage 3 conversion makes me shudder as to what it would be like when it came back.

If I were going anywhere it would be superchips and I would have a milltek put on before so they can custom remap it to include the exhaust. Plus, superchips looks a bargain next to AMD for the same power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts