Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a trip down to AMD yesterday for their Stage 2 conversion (remap and Miltek exhaust). I went for the exhaust without the silencer, and it sounds awesome [8D][^]

They did before and after runs on the Rolling Road, and I also had my results from when I went down for their open day in June to compare.

My results yesterday were:

Before: 241.6 bhp @ 6122 and 229.6 lb/ft @ 3249

After: 261.4 bhp @ 6660 and 248.2 lb/ft @ 3046

The car was down on power from when it had the run in June. I have felt that the car has lacked power in the last few weeks anyway and thought it was down to a dodgy batch of petrol. In June I got 251.8 bhp @ 6165 and 238.7 lb/ft @ 2995.

The rev limiter has been raised from 6,800 rpm to 7,200 and I easily managed 90mph in third gear. The dyno plot shows a flat spot that has been ironed out, but I could hardly feel the flat spot before anyway.

Driving the car home yesterday and playing around last night I was slightly disappointed with the results. They are there on paper, but don't seem to be there physically. To me the car doesn't feel that much quicker at the moment, except from 6k rpm and above. My b/f seems to think it's quicker, but he's not driven it for a while so it may be hard to tell.

I went along with another forum member yesterday who also had Stage 2 put on his R32. Our cars have similar mileage but the results were quite different. His car seemed to come off better with the figures and my only regret is not asking to swap vehicles to compare how they drive after the remap. I did however, drive a Stage 2 R32 a few weeks back that has done half the mileage of mine and it pulled so well and power delivery was a lot smoother. This was one of my influencing decisions in choosing AMD. They did say that higher mileage cars seem to come out better than the lower mileage ones so I had high hopes for mine.

I have also asked around for before and after figures from other forum members and their figures are slightly higher than mine as well. I'm not too bothered about that because the figures are not the be all and end all and can vary even on different runs back to back (my first run was 266 bhp), but it's how the car drives that I'm bothered about. There doesn't seem to be as much as an improvement as I'd hoped for, and it certainly doesn't seem as quick as the AMD car I have driven before, or as quick as the APR trial.

I'm only hoping that the ECU is still 'learning' the new code and will start to feel quicker soon.

A big thumbs up to Adam from AMD for doing the work. No sooner had I arrived and put my keys down on the table, my car was up on the ramps.

Anyway, turn up your sound and have a listen to the exhaust [:p]

Standing start and drive-bys

Dual Carriageway run

Through the tunnel

My power runs:

BHP

Torque

And some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please don't turn this thread into "********* are better" or "you should have gone to *********" because it's all down to personal opinion, personal experiences and personal choice. I chose AMD for a variety of reasons. I know some of you don't like them for reasons of your own, but there are just as many people that do like them.[:)]

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it was down on power before hand maybe you have an underlying problem, such as a failing MAF.

Might be worth giving them a call just to run it by them.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Hi clare,

Just reading your post, I'd like to say that my car was producing 225bhp before, and 270bhp just after.

I'll need to dig out the graphs to double check the fine details though.

I can say that when before I got the car AMD'd, it was really strangled kinda feeling, not as powerful as I'd hoped. But the first drive after it was fitted with Stage2, I immediatly felt a total transformation in the car.

Maybe this could be put down to the fact that my car went from 225bhp to 270bhp.

I've since covered over 11k miles (now at 19k) since remap, and the car feels even better after I had AMD put on the new rev limit (7400rpm), with even more low down pull.

Seeing 260bhp on yours is a tad low, but I guess there are SO MANY factors involved that the best test is really driving 2 R32's back to back and seeing for yourself.

From the film clips, your car does sound very healthy though! VRROOOOOOOOOOOOMM WOOOOOOOORRRR Ba-ba-ba-baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm assuming that if there had been any problems with the engine, then AmD would've picked up on them, especially for the money you pay. To be honest I think your expecting too much from it, at the end on the day it?s a naturally aspirated engine so any remap is more for improvement in driveability rather than a noticeable increase in power like on a force induced engine. Going by the videos the car looks like it goes well for a mapped R32 and sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Golfgirl the car just sounds sublime, the miltek exhaust is simply sensational.

Don't get too "bent out of shape" on the figures they can be misleading, how the car drives is the acid test. Lets get together sometime and see how both are cars perform vs each other which should put your mind at rest.

As an illustration before I bought my car it had been on the RR and the BHP figures with only V4 software and the straight through miltek came back with 257 bhp, my response to that was "yeah right" b1locks.[:p] Hence, following a stage 2 remap the new bhp figures are something like +10bhp and the car has been transformed....go figure that one out. I have all the RR plots for both so we can examine each and then "ask the experts" to explain the difference given the figures for my car were performed on the same RR.

What does transformation mean, well for me it was smoother and more linear power delivery, sharper throttle response, increased accelerative abilities, not just power.

I'll PM you in a mo[;)]

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
nice vids clare, the beast sounds aweseome, I think I'm gonna have to get a miltek with the straight thru. It just sounds so good.

Do you think you could live with the sound of the straight thru on a daily basis, given time?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by dubzter on 29/09/2004 10:08:20

Do you think you could live with the sound of the straight thru on a daily basis, given time?

I do but must confess that sometimes (rarely) I wonder if its too loud outside for the public[:I]. BUT it sounds soooo nice.[^] No problem inside the car though.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by dubzter on 29/09/2004 10:08:20

From inside the car it isn't too loud like Doc ays. From outside it is quite loud, but only if you boot it from about 2,000rpm!

TBH though, it's not that much louder than a Miltek with a silencer!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Was in there area (well I live near AMD and had a day off) and I must confess I experienced Claires upgrade up at close quarters...It sounds soooooo good.

I've been led to believe that the normally aspirated engines in the R32 are a lot more temperamental to atmospherics than those with the added puff...Also whilst rolling roads provide a degree of accuracy, I am sure they do not simulate accurate "open road" air flow which may affect the readings. I am not a obsessive petrol head, so willing to accept if I have been fed the wrong information

As for AMD I can vouch for the speed, care and professionalism that they took in performing the upgrade. They even demonstrated to Claire how the ECU upgrade took place and that they did not change the OEM chip. It appears that in early days they used to change the chip to protect their intellectually property, but now that their are alternatives on the market they seem a little more easy. Oh and the other reason they may change the chip is if they cannot communicate with the ECU through the port, "unconfirmed" reports of time-limited demo software by other companies and/or VW software upgrades may cause this, but is unproven.

For your information AMD are in the midst of getting another Rolling Road and a few more ramps, as they now have possession of the unit next door. This will be primarily for the Porsche work that they do. We were told that there will be a launch of the new facilities in early 2005.

BB

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Not bad results I feel? See you went straight through pipe!! Good choice!! Never looked back since having mine converted from silenced to obscene!

·
Registered
436 Posts
What was the power at the wheels Clare ??

Do they run the car on the 4 wheel drive RR and calculate losses on full transmission losses ??

I haven't got a R32 but I own a apr 230bhp 1.8 T GTI......I however was Co chairman of Club VR6 so I remember my VR6 days well.

AmD done alot of work to my VR6 in the mid 90's and this was modded to 227bhp........there ATW figures alot everytime I visited them which I found strange but when I spending money on new 'performance' parts the Flywheel figures were always a very healthy improvement if not at the wheels.

Ian

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote: posted by ianb on 29/09/2004 22:29:31

What was the power at the wheels Clare ??

Not sure because I only got the dynoplots and not a summary. Didn't think to ask either because I was more concerned with going out to play![:D]

Quote: posted by Giddy on 29/09/2004 22:01:52

Sounds beautiful, do you get that nice popping and cackling that the other R32's are getting with the millteks ?

Oh yes[^][:D][8D]

Well 3 days on and I'm feeling slightly better about the car. It DOES seem to be a bit quicker than before the remap, but only marginally really. I need to give AMD a ring to get the car back down there anyway as a rattle has appeared from the dash since they did the work, so will see what they say about the driveability of it then.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Na, those dyno plots are 'corrected' figures for the engine (not power at the wheels).

The car should be noticeably faster after the remap. It's worth driving another Stage2 R32 back to back to compare, and see what YOU think.

Surely there must be someone around your way with one?

If not, I'd take it back to AMD and let them know you're not satisfied that the Remap has done anything positive to warrent ?850

1 - 20 of 30 Posts