Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about getting my GTI remapped by AMD. I spoke to them today and can fit me in mid-June for a week-end slot.

My only reservation is with the DSG gearbox (which mine has) they said it wouldn't be a problem, but you never know. My other slight concern is with my VW warranty, they said that its not traceable but is that really the case ? anyone had any disaster stories with this kind of thing ?

So, anyone had it done on a MKV GTI ? Is it worth it ? Any alternatives ?

what dya think ?

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
251 Posts
The gearbox will be ok, i read about the gearbox specs and it can take a fair bit more than the chip gives. i think the chip goes to 317nm and the gearbox is good for at least 350nm, i think the v6 TT puts 320ish through it so it would be fine.

Did AMD say anything about their one-click solution, are they going to do one for the mkV. It would allow you to remove the modififed map yourself and return it back to standard.

How did you find AMD i dealt with them once when a friend had a mk4 chipped and they were really rude and didn't want to talk about the work or let you watch the rolling road session etc. They were also really off-hand with the other guys there that day having exhausts fitted. They came accross like they were only after the cash and didn't want to deal with the customer atall. Maybe their work makes up for there poor attitude, i cannot comment.[:(]

Whilst we are on the subject does anyone else know anywhere that are good VW tuners ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's one of the best things i've done in a long time, another 54 BHP is absolutley great value, mine is going back for a turbo back exhaust in the near future.

Do it i have read on here some where that the revo will be availbl;e soon maybe worth speaking to them also as i beleive it will be switchable so you can save "both" your clutches when you are just driving normally.

Must confess i didin;t get my A3 Dsg chipped as i was worried about the increase in torque on the Dsg.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's one of the best things i've done in a long time, another 54 BHP is absolutley great value, mine is going back for a turbo back exhaust in the near future.

Do it i have read on here some where that the revo will be availbl;e soon maybe worth speaking to them also as i beleive it will be switchable so you can save "both" your clutches when you are just driving normally.

Must confess i didin;t get my A3 Dsg chipped as i was worried about the increase in torque on the Dsg.
what do you mean by this : soon maybe worth speaking to them also as i beleive it will be switchable so you can save "both" your clutches when you are just driving normally.... is this a chip for the dsg ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm considering the Oettinger chip from RSD. OK, it might not be the most powerful at 235bhp, but RSD assure me the VW warranty isn't affected as the have a partnership agreement with VW UK.

I think its also worth noting that this is Oettinger's stage 1 chip. I believe there are another two stages yet to come.

·
Registered
251 Posts
if that is true it sounds just the thing, did they tell you that ?, i would put up with only only a 35 increase for the warranty

·
Registered
51 Posts
A piece of the email I received from RSD:

"The cost for the conversion is ?695.00 + the VAT and as an approved supplier to Volkswagen Group (UK) Ltd (Supplier No. U762) we have to match the manufacturers warranty. A copy of the conversions that we do/done are kept at MK at their legal department. Failure for us to comply with our contractual agreement with Volkswagen Group (UK) Ltd would mean suspension of our contract for 9 months"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All,

Thanks very much for your advice and thoughts. I'm still undecided, just had a look at the Revo web-site and their stuff does look good, will enquire as to what they have in the pipeline.

As for AMD, the guy on the phone was ok, answered all my questions and was very polite. I asked the MPG question, and he said it would actually improve it slightly, his reasoning being becuase you have more torque, you are using less revs for the same amount of power [:S]

One final question, which really puzzles me is, if the car is capable of producing much more power just by modifying the ECU, why don't VW release the car with the modded ECU in the first place ??

Thanks again

Lee

·
Registered
51 Posts
Depends on how you drive it. Obviously with more power more fuel is used.  However, from previous chip experience on Vauxhall's driving normally can improve the fuel economy over the manufacturers figures.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
AMD are talking gonads if they say that the dealer cannot detect the map.  They can, if they chose too, it is just that most often they don't bother, the same is true for Insurance.  A lot of tuners will offer to take over the VW warranty for the parts that are affected by the remap (at a cost).  However it will not be a true VW Warranty.

·
Registered
304 Posts
One final question, which really puzzles me is, if the car is capable of producing much more power just by modifying the ECU, why don't VW release the car with the modded ECU in the first place ??
Thats the million dollar question !!! Same with the Mkiv's. No body knows.[:cool:]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Thats the million dollar question !!! Same with the Mkiv's. No body knows.[:cool:]
Its all to do with tollerances. Manufactures will set the cars to be used in the 'worst case senario' . e.g. driven daily for 2 minutes to the post office, car not serviced properly, used in desert climate etc. This means that they are not in for a raft of warranty claims when things go wrong. Basically they are over engineered. If you remap, you are just pushing the boundries further, but generally look after the car better.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Further to what Milkfloat said, it's a bit like computer processors. They are sold with a lot of safety margin built in, to work in the worst-case scenarios. The manufacturers test a chip to its absolute limit then mark it down by some amount. If you know what you're doing and fit an uprated cooling system and matching, high specification memory, you can safely "overclock" the chip and run it over the given speed without stability problems, taking advantage of this built-in headroom. Not everyone is a car enthusiast and diligent with servicing and maintenance like many of us on this forum, so they are detuned to a degree to withstand some abuse.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If the dealer takes the car out for a test drive, then an extra 50bhp will be easily noticeable in my opinion. If they want to be awkward then they may look into this issue further to see if the car has been fettled/modified in some way, and hence may void your warranty.

If i was to get mine chipped, I would only consider ABT or Oettinger. Both quote around 35bhp gains, but at the end of the day they are warranted by VW. Oettinger definite, and last time i checked so was ABT. Ok not as much gain, but at least you have that peace of mind your warranty is still intact. May consider other mods after 3 years when the warranty is finished.

Then again, the std. GTI's power delivery is superb in my eyes, and would the all these chips, still retain this sort of delivery, i.e. torque/power in any gear at any rpm??

Also as has been mentioned before, manufacturers set out tolerances, and increase longevity of their engines/drivetrian. And when they increase power themselves from the same engine, they do alot of other mods, to retain the same longevity.

For example the Mk4 TDI PD 130, can be chipped by Amd, and the likes to well over 150bhp, and yet there are more differences than just BHP, with the TDI PD 130/150, i.e. different injectors, turbo, intercooler, etc.

Just my opinion and 2p's worth

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, Just thought I'd add that all a dealer has to do is drive the car up the road and log boost on 1551 to see if the car has been chipped.

One thing to note why manufacturers don't put these cars out at their full potential is to fit into various tax bands and for aligning each model within it's model range, hence why the S3 was initially released at only 210bhp as opposed to the then flagship TT at 225bhp, both with exactly the same engine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
....full potential is to fit into various tax bands and for aligning each model within it's model range...
Was that insurance groups ? I thought it was to do with a very
high performance model in a range skewing the insurance groups upwards.

The other explanation [to detuned] vehicles is owners giving the cars
poor fuel, irregular servicing. The TUV might have some hand in this
too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
to all gti 200 owners

I've had my gti DSG golf remaped by QST based in west sussex i was treated very well and they took time to explain exactly what they where doing and how it is undetectable to the dealership. My car was box fresh and i had only picked it up that morning i arrived with the clock showing 22 miles but i was assured it was fine, anyhow while i was there a transporter arrived with 3 cars from the local AUDI garage ready to be remapped apperently they offer the service to custormers!!!!!!

Anyway to the juicy stuff my car saw 195bhp 295nm on the 1st run as the engine is still tight this was normal to be down on power 2 hours later the final run saw 242bhp 381nm i was very pleased

Now the car is run in i can finally enjoy it to be honest on most surfaces 1st gear is a wast of time but on the right one it's a blast, most cars don't know whats hit them i've seen off a few boxters so far !!!

On the moterway the car does 38mpg and around town 28mpg better than my old focus 2litre!

You have to get it chipped or you will end up being overtaken by the focus ST!!

ps i also tried out AWSOME GTI'S demo car and for ?500 i could not tell the difference but there's is direct port and as ive been told not as secure as qst. But i will recomened the adfaptive dampers it had 19inch wheels and was a better ride than mine on 18inch

Enjoy

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you all do a search in the Group Buy section there was some healthy debate as to which Tuning comapny to use, the GB set up by Foxy is still running for members of the forum and concerns both RSD (Ooetinger) & Superchips. Both companies offer 'replacement' warranties with similar power gains and rate each others work equally. I will be using superchips pretty soon for 3 reasons:..

1) I've had my last 2 cars remapped with excellent results & service. (2.0TDi & 150PD)

2) It's only ?443 inc for the GTi to forum members.

3) Superchips now offer the remap via S/Port.

My 2p worth.....RSD seem an excellent company and I have heard only good things about them also found Danny to be very helpful via e-mail & phone, I had good service from AMD and have probably spent at least ?2,000 with them previously but find them on the expensive side with optimistic rollers, REVO - no warranty, not officially released but excellent reputation based on past performance. Superchips - I have only good things to say about them and their products but personally choose to use only thier HQ at Bucks, give them a call...[;)]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I've had my gti DSG golf remaped by QST based in west sussex i was treated very well and they took time to explain exactly what they where doing and how it is undetectable to the dealership.
If ANY turning company told me that I would walk away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts