Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This has probably been done before but just thought I'd like to share this with you. I had to travel from Harlow to Feltham around the M25 today at about 6am and return about 2.30 pm so I didn't really grind to a halt anywhere and was able to use cruise quite a lot set at about 70. I had the MFA set on average consumption and at one point this afternoon it hit an amazing 72.6mpg. At journey end it was reading 69.8 as the final part of the jourey was through town. I have got a Van Aaken tuning box fitted which should improve the consumption slightly but I think that is an amazing figure. I'm sure someone has probably bettered it, if you have I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Seem to remember an arguement that said that a tuning box will skew computer consumption readings, giving a higher than actual figure. Can't remember the reasoning, but think it was Foxy, while he had one on his Mkiv. Have you checked your computer by calculating between re-fills?

Sounds like a pretty amazing figure, anyway. I've never seen anything over 60mpg, and a spot of town driving, or putting manners on some lesser vehicle, sees the end of that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Talk-Torque,

Best I'd acheived previously has been about 58 but that involved "putting some manners on" in the trip. This was just an absolutely steady drive with the flow of the trafiic and the fuel gauge does appear to give it some credence but I will test it at some point with a fill and refill. I'm not a sad &^%*("? it just worked out that way today and when you begin to see the magic number climbing on the MFA you kinda want to see what you can get it up to if you see what I mean, especially if you're not in a particular hurry, and I wasn't at 6am, I was still half asleep Lol!

P.S. Nice choice of wheel

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
lol - well just to cheer you up. I managed to get 28mpg average out of mine today on the way home after a 13 hour day and talking an employee out of resigning. I'll let you guess at the speeds....but at one point the read out was 10mpg.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That's an amazing figure. Have you tried measuring your consumption manually by brimming the tank?

I've seen many claims that tuning cars improves the fuel consumption. Why is that?

You'd think the might of VW and all the other manufacturers can't match the ECU programming of small tuning outfits?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi there,

This is very possible. I have been "taking it easy" this past while in the car and have have high 60's average mpg readings over an 18 mile journey that doesn't include motorway driving at all. It's amazing the amount of fuel you save too! :)

Although comin into work this morning I only got 42 average mpg - hehe - but it was good! :)

This is all going by the MFD but I will be zeroing the clock and checking how accurate this is in the coming weeks.

Good luck,

Colm

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think some people must have dodgy mfd's in their cars. I consistantly fill up the car, drive 550 miles to the point its just about empty and fill up again. I drive with a very light foot and never above 80mph.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think some people must have dodgy mfd's in their cars. I consistantly fill up the car, drive 550 miles to the point its just about empty and fill up again. I drive with a very light foot and never above 80mph.
Hi Mark V,

When you fill up your car again - what range does the mfd show?

I usually get 550 to 580 miles from a tankfull...when I fill up it shows around 650 miles range left in the tank.

Cheers,

Colm

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mine shows about 500 miles range at fill up, which gradually goes up to 540/ 550 after a few miles driving before starting to reduce (unless I trundle round town all day).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Were you getting that kind of mileage from new or does it get better as time goes by? I'm managing, at best, about 450 miles to a tank.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Were you getting that kind of mileage from new or does it get better as time goes by? I'm managing, at best, about 450 miles to a tank.
My car has 20,000 on it and I have had it since 11,000 miles. Its always done that kind of range for me but I suspect its my driving style. I am the kind of person that drives in the middle lane on a motorway, constantly being overtaken by people inthe outside lane who must be doing 90mph. My constant 70ish mph is probably a large part of the reason I get good ecconomy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow guys,

This has generated a lot of debate and opinion. Let me try and answer most of your questions. Firstly when you look at the range on the MFA it depends entirely on your consumption at that time so if your stuck in traffic it will be far less than when your doing a constant 56mph on the inside lane of the motorway. As for dodgy MFA I think not as I went to Birmingham and back today on business (250mile round trip). Had filled up last night and have just refilled bcause I saw the posts and wanted to check and it cost me ?17.68 which is just over 4 gallons and the MFA read 60.8 mpg for the journey which wasn't a leisurely journey as I averaged 65mph and a quarter of that was what I'd call urban driving i.e. 30-50 mph and it took me 2 hours 8 mins. I don't really wish to disclose some of the speeds I hit on the M6 and M1 but I wasn't hanging around. And the car has now done 9,250 miles and has definitely loosened up a bit.

I previously owned a Leon Cupra 150 tdi which regularly returned high 50's to low 60's on long journeys and that is a very primitive engine compared to the new 140 version.

Just to try and give further credit to the figures I also own a Corrado VR6 which is not renowned for being economical and I have seen 50mpg on the MFA but that was in very heavy traffic on the M25 over about 20 miles travelling at approximately a constant 45mph as it was practically impossible to drive any faster.

Try it and I think you'll be surprised at what the car is capable of in terms of economy although it is difficult as it's such a hoot to use the performance to the full.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Firstly when you look at the range on the MFA it depends entirely on your consumption at that time so if your stuck in traffic it will be far less than when your doing a constant 56mph on the inside lane of the motorway.
Thats not how mine works. If that was the case it would increase and decrease as the average fuel consumption changed to a much greater extent than it does. However they have programmed it to not fluctuate too much and generally shows a pretty accurate range within the first few miles which normally proves to be quite reliable. I am always intrigued when people find they are doing mpg figures in the 60's. I have never seen more than 55mpg on my mfd, ever. What sort of range are you getting, it must be well over 600 miles on a tank?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since I've had retro Cruse fitted, I'd say my average mpg has improved by about 5mpg at 70mph (Set by my RA2, not the speedo!).

On a recent trip down to Devon (M25, M3 and A303) I averaged around 57mpg.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
right..am back from Wolverhampton.

Average speed = 67 mph. Mileage = 287. Fuel consumption = 46.3mpg.

Not too back I guess - on the way back I was suffering from lead welly syndrome

·
Registered
192 Posts
My GT TDi 2.0 is not nearly as good as my Mk IV 115bhp Tdi

In 2001 I travelled from the West of Ireland to Oulton Park circuit in Hampshire and back on 1 tank of fuel.

670 Miles with 57 Mph average and 57 Mpg average

[:D]

·
Registered
207 Posts

In 2001 I travelled from the West of Ireland to Oulton Park circuit in Hampshire and back on 1 tank of fuel.

Oulton park is in Cheshire - just a few miles differance.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Oulton park is in Cheshire - just a few miles differance.

WOOPS

ACTUALLY I did a similar trip once to the THRUXTON circuit in HAMPSHIRE but cant remember the exact fuel economy.

Horrible place Cheshire must have the biggest collection of ****** in England all in one place, especially the ones with a few ???.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts