Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm now getting cross with VW and my stealer; and I think I'm now entitled to some form of compensation - but before I go in there shouting my mouth off, I thought I see what the general opinion is:

So, I buy a brand new MKV TDi and take delivery of it in mid April.

The first thing was that I was not happy with was both interior door panels, with snags in the material in both. I took it back, and they replaced both under warranty.

More recently, I noticed marks in the driver door glass which I could not polish out (looked like the marks were in between 2 panes of glass, but I know the door glass is not laminated). Anyway, I was going to phone my stealer on Monday to book it in, but over the weekend the interior door handle on the driver door snapped (!!! yes, really) meaning that I had to open the window and use the outside door handle to open the door. I phoned the stealer first thing Monday and got it booked in for yesterday (insisting that it should be booked in early as not being able to open the door would be dangerous in a crash and is an MOT failure)

I had to do all the chasing to find out the status of the car and to get it back. When I got there this evening to collect it, I get out to the car only to find that:

1. the interior door panel that was removed to do the glass and handle was not put back on properly;
  2. there were scratches and a dent (yup, a dent !) along the frame of the door where the incompetant wally who did it prized the door panel off with a screw driver !

My feeling is that someone at the stealer knew about the scratches etc (certainly the guy who did it); and that the lack of communication was some way of hiding / defering the problem.

It is booked in for Monday to go into their bodyshop for repairs.

So, I am upset with VW for sub-standard quality of goods - poor door panels, poor glass, and weak door handle.
And I am very upset with the stealer for not noticing the door panels as part of the PDI, not communicating with me properly, not telling me about the damage when I picked it up; and for the damage in the first place.

So, when I take it in on Monday, do you think I should negotiate some form of compensation ? Do you think I'm entitled to anything ? My thinking is that they will not offer me anything that costs them real money; so I'm thinking that I should angle for something that is essentially labour costs. For example:

1. Get them to do the paintwork treatment that they try to sell you for ?200-?300 - we know they use DiamondBrite, and that the product itself is relatively cheap; therefore, its all labour.
    I kind of like this idea, but I have some DiamondBrite (thanks gti-fly !), and was planning on doing it myself
  2. Get them to retrofit cruise control. Me to pay for the replacement stalk for CC, and them to fit it and enable it. Again, its all labour, so no real cost to them.

What do you all think ? Anything else I should angle for as compo ??

Cheers

Nathan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did think of a service, but the car only has 1800 miles on it, and I'm hoping my first service is ages away - over a year away I hope. I was after something a bit sooner so they dont conveniently forget whatever our agreement is.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The saga continues - and just gets worse !

So, I take the car in on Monday morning for them to take it to the bodyshop. They give me a [email protected] little Polo, but I'm told my car might be back same day (yeah right !), if not, Tuesday at the latest.

Today is Friday, and they call me at 5:15pm to tell me my car is ready !! Hoorah !!. The call went something like this:

VW: Hello Mr Russell, its Adrian from Volkswagen here, your car is ready for you to collect. The service manager looked at your car before it went to the bodyshop, and has personally inspected it now its back and is happy with the work and for you to collect it.
Me: Will someone be there for me to talk to about this whole saga - I'm not very happy with the situation at all and want to discuss it.
VW: Errr, no, they've all gone home ..... you could pick the car up tomorrow (Saturday), but there wont be anyone to talk to then either. You could pick the car up now, then phone the Service Manager on Monday if you like.

I thought about it for a while, and decided that although keeping the Polo gives me the upper hand (as its their courtesy car and they want it back for other customers, and they cant go loaning my car out to customers) I decided that I hate the Polo and want my Golf back this weekend. So I went to pick it up this evening.

I get there, and Adrian takes me out to the car - he wants me to check the car in front of him so that I can agree that its satisfactory and therefore have no grounds for complaint against them. I unlock the car with the remote, go to open the door, and guess what .... the damn thing wont open !!! You can here the door lock and unlock, and the door LED goes out when its unlocked and all that .... but it just does not open ! Adrian gets into the car via the passenger side to open the door from inside ... guess what ... it wont open from inside either !!!

This is now beyond a joke [:'(]. Obviously I didn't accept the car back, and also refused to take the Polo back. He's put me in an 05 reg Passat 1.8T - nice, but not as quick as my Golf

He said that the Service Manager would pick this up as a matter of urgency on Monday - damn right he will - and I've asked that he phones me 1st thing Monday.

I'm definately going for the jugular this time - they owe me big time. This is just ridiculous. How on earth can he save personally inspected the car and accepted it as good if the driver door wont open ? Jeez !

And I'm back to holding the cards again - I have their Passat and they are NOT getting it back until I am entirely satisified with the repairs and we can come to a good agreement re compensation.

My only worry is how they are going to fix the door - basically they need to get inside the door to fix - probably re-attach the mechanism or something. But if they cant open the door at all, how do they take the door panel off to get inside ? I can see more damage coming to my poor ol' door !

Any comments ? What level of compensation would you be gunning for ?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm sure there is a way of getting in, its just you don't know it [;)] i'm sure you will get it sorted soon. Just keep the keys to the passat in your pocket when you collect it

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I work in a dealership up in Scotland and if that was us we would get shot!!!!!!!!!!

I would kick up an almighty stink regarding the whole mess and you should definitly be entitled to some sort of compensation.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I know its bloody infuriating when this sort of thing goes wrong - i had mega problems with my 1.8T and it just never seemed to get fixed. In the end, I settled for a free service and an extra year's cover for VW assistance. IMO, if you can for something like the cruise control that you mention earlier, the dealer will probably think that you are kicking up a stink for the sake of it. Just trying to say becareful how you play it

·
Registered
31 Posts
The problem lies very much with the dealer (although you could you could let VW know how bad they are, maybe with the manufacturer on their backs they might improve?!).

I'm sure you can get to the door glass by taking the outer skin off rather than taking the door card out, bit puzzled by this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I think the car will be ready for me to collect tomorrow. The After Sales manager has phoned me twice this week; and today he said they are waiting for one small bit of door trim to come in (makes me think they broke something else trying to fix it !!!). He said it is booked in for a full valet tomorrow AM (the least they could do IMO), and that after that he will be inspecting it, and only when he is 100% happy will he phone me and invite me to collect.

WRT compensation, and how I am going to play it - not sure yet. The After Sales Manager has already mentioned the fact that they are prepared to do something along the lines of compo (without me prompting), so I guess thats a good thing. But I see there being 3 issues that I should persue:

1. They damaged the car in the first place - unforgivable
  2. I am paying a loan for this car; just under ?300 per month. They have had the car for just over 2 weeks now, so I call that ?150 that I am personally out of pocket by - I have been paying for a car that I dont have through no fault of my own.
  3. The inconvenience of it all. I have had to drive to and from the VW garage countless times. Plus my car is used for business miles; and I have had to tell my employer that I can't do any business miles for 2 weeks whilst I have a car that I'm not insured to do business miles in.

Tot it all up, it's got to be worth something.

The other tactic that I will play (suggested earlier in this thread) is that the keys to their Passat stay in my pocket - they do not get shown or offered back to the dealer. If we can't agree on something, I simply walk out with their car, and wait for their next move !

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow !

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mate,i had problems with my local dealer wherent gettin anywhere so i spoke with vw HQ and complained and told them i was on a forum blar blar boy did it work ,got rid of the polo and they dropped me a passat at home and got preferential treatment afterwards .The head man rang me and promised a free service and discounts whenever i needed something..Know exactly how your feelin.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Any news Nathan ? My car has broken down again ( twice in 4 weeks - its only 9 weeks old ). VW are supposed to be hiring me a car ( a Golf or a Passat apparently ) although they would "call you back in 5 mins" 3 hours ago....Hopeless.

Am off to buy a gerry can, a rag, a litre of petrol and some matches oh..and a pair of slippers as Peter Kaye says they're the fastest thing to run in

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, eventually got the call from the After Sales Manager today (today is Monday, only 3 days after he said he would call excluding weekends !) - the car is ready !!!

Went to pick it up at lunch time, - wait for it, you're gonnna love this ....., he very proudly takes me out to the car to inspect, I open the offending door, and now the interior door grab has got a flippin' great big screwdriver mark where they prised it off !!! Jeez, will these monkeys ever learn ? Why do VW let these prople loose with tools that can do damage ?

How embarrased was he ? Very !

WRT to compensation, his objective is to regain my faith in their service department, so has offered me a Gold Card entitling me to 20% off labour and 10% off parts for 2 years (I can't see that being much use to me), and my next service free. The car only has 2000 miles, and I don't anticipate it needing a service for at least 12 months, maybe 18 - so I tolf him I was after something a bit more immediate and a bit more useful to me.
Have suggested the cruise control retro-fit - he is going to see what is involved etc and let me know.

I just cant believe that after all this, they still managed to damage the car - I think its high time VW Milton Keynes got to hear about this !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And it gets worse ........ (!!!)

On my way to work this morning, discovered that they have not connected up the speakers in the driver door when they put it all together !!! I really dont understand how these people can be soooooo incompetant !

So, it'll be going back yet again, and no doubt it'll come back with some other damage to something else !

How much faith do I have with this dealership ?? Absolutely none !

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
that is appaling ! surely you'd think that they would test everything ? ( having said that, when mine brokedown at the w/e, the "fuel range" on the computer stopped at 170 miles..how does that happen ?? )

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Name and shame ? Or course, its my pleasure [:D]

The offending dealership is Mann Egerton in Swindon; and my advice to everyone is not to touch them with a barge pole - certainly not the service side of the business (the sales side were actually pretty good)

I will be contacting VW Milton Keynes about this, so watch this space ......

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, here we are, 3 days after the dealer agreed to replace the interior door grab, and 2 days after agreeing to send someone out to re-connect my speakers ..... not heard a darn thing from them.

I have just sent an email to the head-honcho at VW Milton Keynes ..... lets see what happens now .....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to here about all the hasle you are having.

I can tell you that the sales side of things are shockingly bad as well at Swindon, so we decided to get our car from a different dealer miles+miles away!!

Was hoping that the service side of things might be better, but I don't think I'll ever find out now after your problems, time to look elsewhere.

Any reccomendations from another VW dealer near to Swindon out their?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts